I opened a roll of quarters at work today and found —-

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I opened a roll of quarters at work today and found —-

Postby henrysmedford » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Today at work I was opening a roll of quarters and it was a customer wrapped roll so I decided to edge sort It for some reason and found a 61quarter.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Re: I opened a roll of quarters at work today and found —-

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:39 am

Congrats- I think silver quarters are quite a bit harder to find in the wild than either dimes or halves. That's just my offhand comment from my own personal experience. What does everyone else think?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:26 am

I agree Recyclersteve. I don’t even attempt to go thru quarter rolls.

Congrats on the find henrysmedford!
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby theshoenlebens » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:39 am

Congrats, I have gone thru maybe $800 worth of quarters years ago. Found nothing so haven't done any more. :lol:
theshoenlebens
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Saabman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:09 am

Great score!!! WTG!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Heck ya nice find. My son found a ‘63 quarter couple weeks ago in the register...he said when he was counting the change it had a ring to it...lol Now I know he has been listening.

I have searched over $10k in quarters over the years with zero finds.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Mercuryman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:52 pm

I've only found a silver quarter in the wild once. Back in my coin roll hunting days i spotted a silver quarter in the bank tellers coin holder. That was about 7 years ago. Good find!
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Nice find. The last one I found in change was in change back from a coca cola vending machine back in 2007 in beautiful Albany, Oregon. So rare to find that its kind of like the President Kennedy assassination in that when you receive one in change you will forever remember exactly where you were and what you were doing at that time!.....or perhaps I just need to get a life :shifty:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Extremely hard to find one in the wild- congrats.

The state Quarter program had everyone and their brother looking at quarters since 1999. So anything worth noticing was pulled out quickly. Also I can imagine the mint pulled out a larger than normal amount of older style quarters to make way for the new stuff.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby ihavecoins » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 pm

I was at the hardware store about 6 months ago and the guy before me commented on the "new" condition of the quarter he got back in change. I bought the balance of the roll from the willing sales clerk. It was half a roll of proof and the other half was silver quarters from a recent year. Nice score for me!
www.ihavecoins.com
Buying and selling numismatic and bullion
ihavecoins
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:25 am

ihavecoins wrote:I was at the hardware store about 6 months ago and the guy before me commented on the "new" condition of the quarter he got back in change. I bought the balance of the roll from the willing sales clerk. It was half a roll of proof and the other half was silver quarters from a recent year. Nice score for me!

Cue the music: "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks..." (and, of course, I remember a few decades ago when the song said "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man")
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby misteroman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:18 am

I have 2 coin op washers and dryers at our motel. They bring in maybe $200 Or so a mo. I usually find 3 or 4 a yr which is actually decent odds.
I also get about 5 bicentennial quarters per $100 as well. Yes I still save them but storage is becoming a problem as I've been saving them for years and years. Has to be at least a grand or so now.
misteroman

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:23 am

misteroman wrote:I have 2 coin op washers and dryers at our motel. They bring in maybe $200 Or so a mo. I usually find 3 or 4 a yr which is actually decent odds.
I also get about 5 bicentennial quarters per $100 as well. Yes I still save them but storage is becoming a problem as I've been saving them for years and years. Has to be at least a grand or so now.

$1,000 face in bicentennial quarters? That is a LOT! A year or two ago I knew of someone paying 27 cents each for them, but that is the only one I can think of. There doesn't seem to be much of a market for them.

Recyclersteve

Postby misteroman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Yup. Actually got 8 more today from my jeweler as he had them mixed in with some 90% I bought.
I used to sell them on eBay a few different ways and would get .40-.50 each back when eBay was reasonable(early 2000s)
Also have a big Ziploc bag filled with nicer 82s and 83s but haven't really been saving those any longer
misteroman

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Finding silver quarters in your change today is rare. I find a silver dime in my change at least once a year.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals