Lost interest?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Lost interest?

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:24 pm

No lost interest here. Running a business as well as having a child has really limited my funds as well as time. I hate I have been away from RC for so long. But I am going to try to make valiant efforts to make appearances.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CopperSilverGold » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:01 pm

I lost interest a few years back for a couple of reasons. One is that I just didn't have the disposable income I had before to put into base or precious metals. Two, with copper specifically, I realized that in order to have s worthwhile stash, the sheer volume and weight was not practical for me. When I moved in 2015, I ended up cashing in all of my US 1982 and earlier cents as I realized I wouldn't have the room to store what I had. I regret doing that.

Anyway, at the same time I moved I started going through my sportscard collection with the intent to price and sell, and to use those funds to acquire more silver and some gold. It actually had the opposite effect where my interest in sportscards was reignited with a fury. It got to the point where I was selling silver to buy sportscards. After 3+ years of doing that, I realized I wanted to get back into metals so here I am.
CopperSilverGold

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:35 pm

CopperSilverGold wrote:I lost interest a few years back for a couple of reasons. One is that I just didn't have the disposable income I had before to put into base or precious metals. Two, with copper specifically, I realized that in order to have s worthwhile stash, the sheer volume and weight was not practical for me. When I moved in 2015, I ended up cashing in all of my US 1982 and earlier cents as I realized I wouldn't have the room to store what I had. I regret doing that.

Anyway, at the same time I moved I started going through my sportscard collection with the intent to price and sell, and to use those funds to acquire more silver and some gold. It actually had the opposite effect where my interest in sportscards was reignited with a fury. It got to the point where I was selling silver to buy sportscards. After 3+ years of doing that, I realized I wanted to get back into metals so here I am.

Baseball, football or hockey? I have so many rookie cards that I put away in the 80's and 90's. All mint. Probably worth next to nothing now, huh?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby CopperSilverGold » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:37 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
CopperSilverGold wrote:I lost interest a few years back for a couple of reasons. One is that I just didn't have the disposable income I had before to put into base or precious metals. Two, with copper specifically, I realized that in order to have s worthwhile stash, the sheer volume and weight was not practical for me. When I moved in 2015, I ended up cashing in all of my US 1982 and earlier cents as I realized I wouldn't have the room to store what I had. I regret doing that.

Baseball, football or hockey? I have so many rookie cards that I put away in the 80's and 90's. All mint. Probably worth next to nothing now, huh?

Just baseball. Most of the rookie cards from the 80's and 90's aren't worth much with a few exceptions.. I was surprised at how cheap some of them had become. For example, the 1985 Topps Mark McGwire was a $100-$150 card back in the day, and now you can pick it up for $5. Same thing with the 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco...quite cheap now. But if you have a 1993 Upper Deck SP Derek Jeter rookie card in really good condition, then you would have something worthwhile.
CopperSilverGold

Postby pennypicker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Baseball, football or hockey? I have so many rookie cards that I put away in the 80's and 90's. All mint. Probably worth next to nothing now, huh?

1980 Topps Rickey Henderson and 1982 Topps & 1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken rookie cards bring good money in mint condition. 1983 Topps Gwynn, Boggs & Sandberg rookies also bring good money in mint. 1984 Donruss Mattingly rookie cards in mint are still very popular and valuable. There's still good demand for 1989 Upper Deck Griffey rookies in mint. The rookie cards of steriod users like Bonds, Mcgwire, Palmeiro, Sosa, and Clemens have tanked.

1969 and older PSA 8 graded stars and commons continue to rise and are setting all-time highs at the major auction houses. Some low population psa 9 COMMONS from the late '50s and early '60 are bringing $2000+ each :o That's right, people are paying over $2000 for a single common card to help complete the PSA registered sets--unbelievable!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am

Hey Don, some of the members here might only know PSA as a prostate screening test. :lol:
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby smackvay » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:44 am

Anyone has any pre-1980 cards you want to sell or trade for metal let me know. I’m always into sports cards.

Mike
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:57 am

I continue to stack... I do not Coin Roll Search anymore..
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am

I used to have a bunch of baseball cards. The ripken rookie was my best one. tried to sell it once maybe about 20 years back and the guy had a stack of about 50 of them.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 pm

pennypicker wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Baseball, football or hockey? I have so many rookie cards that I put away in the 80's and 90's. All mint. Probably worth next to nothing now, huh?

1980 Topps Rickey Henderson and 1982 Topps & 1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken rookie cards bring good money in mint condition. 1983 Topps Gwynn, Boggs & Sandberg rookies also bring good money in mint. 1984 Donruss Mattingly rookie cards in mint are still very popular and valuable. There's still good demand for 1989 Upper Deck Griffey rookies in mint. The rookie cards of steriod users like Bonds, Mcgwire, Palmeiro, Sosa, and Clemens have tanked.

1969 and older PSA 8 graded stars and commons continue to rise and are setting all-time highs at the major auction houses. Some low population psa 9 COMMONS from the late '50s and early '60 are bringing $2000+ each :o That's right, people are paying over $2000 for a single common card to help complete the PSA registered sets--unbelievable!

Great info, thanks! I have a lot of those 80's players you mentioned... all mint condition. I have about 30-40 of the Topps and Donruss Griffey's. So, only the UD Griffey's are worth something?... how disappointing.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:18 pm

CopperSilverGold wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Just baseball. Most of the rookie cards from the 80's and 90's aren't worth much with a few exceptions.. I was surprised at how cheap some of them had become. For example, the 1985 Topps Mark McGwire was a $100-$150 card back in the day, and now you can pick it up for $5. Same thing with the 1986 Donruss Jose Canseco...quite cheap now. But if you have a 1993 Upper Deck SP Derek Jeter rookie card in really good condition, then you would have something worthwhile.

Thanks CSG. My LCS used to be a sports card store in the 90's. I was just there today and we were discussing BB cards. He lost a lot of money hoarding late 80's and 90's cards. His 2 car garage is full of them... most boxes are unopened.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby CopperSilverGold » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
pennypicker wrote:

Great info, thanks! I have a lot of those 80's players you mentioned... all mint condition. I have about 30-40 of the Topps and Donruss Griffey's. So, only the UD Griffey's are worth something?... how disappointing.

Yup...the Upper Deck Griffey JR's in raw condition can be found in the $25 range. The Fleer, Topps, and Donruss I see raw to card shows for around $2, maybe $3 frequently.
CopperSilverGold

Postby pennypicker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:58 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:Hey Don, some of the members here might only know PSA as a prostate screening test. :lol:

Good to hear from you Nick and hope all is well. After the Jose debacle I got out of sportscards and continued to focus only on stacking silver. I do miss all my gem mint '78 & '77 racks and '75 cellos with Hall-of-Famers on top that I sold on the PSA boards but some day the silver will pay off big. Enjoy the big games today--go Rams and Chargers!!!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:50 am

Have not replied recently, still have interest, but inflation is starting to squelch me more and more.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppernickel » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:10 pm

Still at it slowly, right now going through some old nickels. My plan is to pack them to my standards, and put the nickel nickels, collectible, and billon nickels together. Four boxes have only discovered one billon and one slick indian head.

Coin has dried up around here, cents are hard to come by, banks are unwilling to sell coin, percentages are really low. The banks are really pushing for credit payment systems.

I'm not sure how much is habit and how much is progressing plan. :wave:

I get a distinct impression that previous efforts are about to pay off. All the talk of brighter days just around the corner appear more reminiscent of propaganda than reality.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals