APMEX Offer

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Amex Offer

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:08 pm

Thought from the title that this was a credit card offer from American Express...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: APMEX Offer

Postby JadeDragon » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:50 pm

I fixed the title. Interesting deal indeed.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:59 am

I wanted to clarify for those so inclined that this is a potential $100 profit on the purchase of 5 sets of these coins. Technically, it might be a bit less than that because of shipping/handling charges. I haven't dug into that as yet. But a quick way to buy and flip coins and make a few bucks.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:45 am

Apmex seems to be changing their marketing from simple ads to something more creative. I got a call from Apmex 2 weeks ago telling me I can now call them (a person specially assigned to me), get personalized service and discounts not available on their website. I have not bought anything (in size) from them for about a year. Thanks Apmex, but I only buy PMs when prices are dumping. Let the FOMO's run wild.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Thank you for sharing this.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby horgad » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:33 am

I figure, if APMEX is buying them for $20 over the mint price, these must have a good shot of being worth more than $20 over the mint price. Unless the whole thing is just a APMEX gimmick to get people revved up. I am a noob at buying for collectible value...I usually just buy by weight, but I might buy 5 for laughs and giggles without signing up to sell them APMEX...
horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby chris6084 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:31 am

horgad wrote:I figure, if APMEX is buying them for $20 over the mint price, these must have a good shot of being worth more than $20 over the mint price. Unless the whole thing is just a APMEX gimmick to get people revved up. I am a noob at buying for collectible value...I usually just buy by weight, but I might buy 5 for laughs and giggles without signing up to sell them APMEX...

You are probably figuring right.....APMEX isn't just giving you $20 because they are simply being nice. They are there to make money.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:34 am

chris6084 wrote:
horgad wrote:I figure, if APMEX is buying them for $20 over the mint price, these must have a good shot of being worth more than $20 over the mint price. Unless the whole thing is just a APMEX gimmick to get people revved up. I am a noob at buying for collectible value...I usually just buy by weight, but I might buy 5 for laughs and giggles without signing up to sell them APMEX...

You are probably figuring right.....APMEX isn't just giving you $20 because they are simply being nice. They are there to make money.

Exactly. It's basically a marketing gimmick.

I'd rather have discounts/sales, not gimmicks.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:51 am

I think it is a way to get around the 5 per person limit so APMEX can stock these. They obviously think there will he demand. I'm not a collector of goosed up modern coins but this is a can't lose deal where APMEX agrees to pay $100 bonus on the sets and cover the shipping. If they make money reselling the coins, good, they deserve it for taking the risk, paying for inventory, marketing, shipping etc. If you want to own the coins just order them from the mint and don't resell.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby chris6084 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:59 am

APMEX deal closed if you haven't signed up already.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScrapMetal » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Wonder how many they managed to commit to sell to them. This is all wrong with only 100,000 being minted and 5 per family would equal only 20,000 families if each bought the limit. The Mint will be sold out in minutes if their website can handle the demand. The mint is not some private company, it is government owned and operated and basically is owned by the "people". Everyone should have the opportunity to purchase anything they offer. Only a very select few will get that opportunity, by the actions of greedy scalping bottom feeders like AMPEX. I just think the entire thing stinks. If they want to make a huge profit crank out some error coins after hours and sell to that HSN dude, so he can flip them for a 200 - 300% profit.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:26 am

They sold out in 15 Min.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RxForPain » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:35 pm

I don't think they are sold out. I just ordered a set.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RxForPain » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:47 pm

Now taking back orders... expected date of Aug. 6th.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:06 pm

AdamsSamoa wrote:They sold out in 15 Min.

They took several hours to sell out.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby ScrapMetal » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:54 am

From an email from the Mint IRT the 2 coin set

"Mintage of this historic set has been set at 110,000 units. Orders will be limited to five units per household for the first 48 hours of sales, after which the Mint will remove the limit."

Looks like there is no limit anymore. So if AMPEX just waited they could buy as many as they desired.
Glad the joke is on them.

Anyone think the US Mint may make more than the proposed 110,000 sets?
Who would really know?
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:42 am

ScrapMetal wrote:From an email from the Mint IRT the 2 coin set

"Mintage of this historic set has been set at 110,000 units. Orders will be limited to five units per household for the first 48 hours of sales, after which the Mint will remove the limit."

Looks like there is no limit anymore. So if AMPEX just waited they could buy as many as they desired.
Glad the joke is on them.

Anyone think the US Mint may make more than the proposed 110,000 sets?
Who would really know?

It was marketing gimmick. Like someone said, Apmex just wants to make money, nothing more. I get all these "exclusive" email offers for numismatic "bullion" coins. Millions of these things are minted, so how is that rare? Silver is silver, is silver, is silver, etc.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals