Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...

Postby Morsecode » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:38 am

I still buy rolls once in a while, mostly to stash away in some vacation/emergency fund, and this morning I cracked open a few out of a boredom/emergency. Suddenly, it was 2011 all over again :thumbup:

Last week, I plucked a mercury dime out of the 'Need-a-penny-Take-a-penny' tray at the gas station. Not a dirty one that could be mistaken for a copper...this was shiny silver. And yesterday I picked up 59 cents off the grocery parking lot - quarter, three dimes, four cents - all in a one square foot spot, as if someone discarded them from a open car door.

What's going on? People disdain coins all of a sudden.

I feel as though those little metallic discs are trying to lure me back.
Attachments
Collage 2019-07-23 11_14_19-1080x1773.jpg
Collage 2019-07-23 11_14_19-1080x1773.jpg (460.9 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...

Postby pennypicker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:23 pm

Morsecode wrote:I still buy rolls once in a while, mostly to stash away in some vacation/emergency fund, and this morning I cracked open a few out of a boredom/emergency. Suddenly, it was 2011 all over again :thumbup:

Last week, I plucked a mercury dime out of the 'Need-a-penny-Take-a-penny' tray at the gas station. Not a dirty one that could be mistaken for a copper...this was shiny silver. And yesterday I picked up 59 cents off the grocery parking lot - quarter, three dimes, four cents - all in a one square foot spot, as if someone discarded them from a open car door.

What's going on? People disdain coins all of a sudden.

I feel as though those little metallic discs are trying to lure me back.

Good to hear from you again Rob!! Just a guess but someone probably thought the merc was a worthless foreign coin and used the tray to get rid of it. This new generation of young adults have no idea what a mercury dime is.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:23 pm

I miss your reports from the "TD bank reject chute" route you had. You had a sweet set up for sure.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Good finds- incredibility hard to pull silver from a quarter roll
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:02 pm

My new bank has a coin machine, one of only three branches within 20 miles that has one. Whole different setup than the lucrative Penny Arcades used to have. No magnet...the Canada stuff goes right to the reject bin, and the machine constantly reminds you to check it for coins.

Not complaining. All good things come to an end. At least I don't have to roll up my coins when the urge to sort hits me.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 am

Robarons wrote:Good finds- incredibility hard to pull silver from a quarter roll

Almost impossible today unless some old granny rolled them. You might get lucky once in a great while, but 90% roll searching today is a waste of time and effort.

Even the copper pennies are disappearing from circulation. When I receive pennies in my change now, 90-95% of them are zincs. 10 years ago I was averaging 25% copper in my change and in $50 boxes. Those days are gone.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:35 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Robarons wrote:Good finds- incredibility hard to pull silver from a quarter roll

Almost impossible today unless some old granny rolled them. You might get lucky once in a great while, but 90% roll searching today is a waste of time and effort.

Even the copper pennies are disappearing from circulation. When I receive pennies in my change now, 90-95% of them are zincs. 10 years ago I was averaging 25% copper in my change and in $50 boxes. Those days are gone.

Where did You get $50 boxes all Mine were $25 boxes of cents???
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:26 am

Rosco wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Where did You get $50 boxes all Mine were $25 boxes of cents???

Typo. Don't comment on anything else important or relevant, just poke fun of my typo. Good job Rosco.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:53 am

+1
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:05 am

Maybe Rosco was asking an honest question? Sheesh....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby coppernickel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:14 pm

Rosco wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Robarons wrote:

$50 boxes cents???

It is interesting. Nonstandard containers are always interesting. I have some 25 coin ($1.25) rolls of westward nickels. Obviously a gimmick, but the bank was glad to sell them at face value.

Silver is always the best find, kudos.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals