Ha! silver from a teller.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Ha! silver from a teller.

Postby Treetop » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:50 am

Some might remember I had tried to get coins for sorting in my small town but since I wasnt a store owner they shut me down. I have grabbed a few boxes here and there when I was in the city. Only ever found one box of halves doing that with one 40% half. Lots of copper pennies of course. Anyway..... The other day on a whim my wife asked if they had any loose halves to buy. they had 6. Al three were 90% lol. LOL the teller even said "one of our tellers always like to see the halves before we sent them out but shes not in today". Not a huge discovery or anything but it was pretty fun. Thought some of you would like the story.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Ha! silver from a teller.

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 am

Nice!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:04 am

Not sure why I worded it wrong, but I meant 3 of the 6 were 90% silver. Anyway.. it was neat.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:12 pm

Its fun to get silver for face value. I try to ask about halves every time I am at the bank, you just never know when you might get lucky.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Changechecker » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:21 pm

Seems like a decade since I had a teller hand me silver .
Congratulations on the keeper. (I don't mean the silver)
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Bully
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Morsecode » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:16 pm

Free silver is always a good thing. With every passing year seems we have fewer and fewer money-smart tellers who know or care about the coin of the realm.

I showed the guys at my bank a picture of a $500 bill and every one of them was sure it was fake.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:13 pm

I managed to get some silver halves (almost all 40%ers) while on vacation last month. Was ready to give up and call it a day. Realized I had time for one more bank and it was right in front of me. So I went inside the PNC branch in rural Ohio and came out with 25- 40%ers and a 1964 to boot. Funny how things work out.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby rsk1963 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:12 am

"Silver from a teller" sounds remarkably similar to "Blood from a stone"
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby thecrazyone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:06 pm

That's awesome!

What will you do with them? Save them? Sell them? The silver can't be melted either, right?
Author: Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (A Truly Easy Investment Tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Int ... 1077276869
thecrazyone
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:41 pm

Sweet score!!! WTG!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:50 pm

thecrazyone wrote:That's awesome!

What will you do with them? Save them? Sell them? The silver can't be melted either, right?

90% silver U.S. coins are perfectly ok to melt. It just doesn't make sense to do so with a small quantity as the refining costs are likely to be very prohibitive. Not sure about 40%ers, but, even if you could melt them down, I would think you'd need to have a lot to melt to justify what the refiner would charge.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Treetop » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:25 pm

Do with what? The silver? sadly it ended up at the bottom of the same deep lake as anything of value I had before them. Gosh darn my bad luck!!!
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Treetop wrote:

Do with what? The silver? sadly it ended up at the bottom of the same deep lake as anything of value I had before them. Gosh darn my bad luck!!!

Can I have the combination to your lake?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:36 pm

Now I imagine that he's gonna say the lake was Lake Superior and that Gordon Lightfoot sang about his boat when he sang the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." That is a GREAT song and a sad one by the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

And for those who would like to hear a parody of the song called The Whore of the Chrysler LeBaron...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWrgDAskBMY

Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:37 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Now I imagine that he's gonna say the lake was Lake Superior and that Gordon Lightfoot sang about his boat when he sang the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." That is a GREAT song and a sad one by the way...

I saw Gordo in concert a few times. Pretty good up until he started have issues with his voice. Anyway, I was at a show in the late 90's (his voice was good then) and while he was playing that song and had a slide show with pics of the Edmund and the family members who had lost loved ones. By the time the song was finished, there wasn't a dry eye in the place.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby coppernickel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:36 pm

rsk1963 wrote:"Silver from a teller" sounds remarkably similar to "Blood from a stone"

It can be harder to get silver from a teller, you can see the "look" when they realize what they are giving away.

One of the saving graces of the search for value is the overwhelming ignorance of most people.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:15 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:Now I imagine that he's gonna say the lake was Lake Superior and that Gordon Lightfoot sang about his boat when he sang the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." That is a GREAT song and a sad one by the way...

I saw Gordo in concert a few times... By the time the song was finished, there wasn't a dry eye in the place.

I bet. I remember hearing the song late at night on talk radio for the first time in a long time. I was tired and about to fall asleep and STILL I almost started crying. Key word there was almost.

Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals