Enhanced Reverse 2019 Silver Eagle Madness

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Enhanced Reverse 2019 Silver Eagle Madness

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Did anyone here pick up any of the new enhanced reverse silver eagles from the mint last week? They're selling for over $1,000 ungraded, and the graded ones are going for several times that.

Demand seems to have far exceeded supply for this product. It's an impressive return for the collectors and dealers who were able to place orders.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Enhanced Reverse 2019 Silver Eagle Madness

Postby AuStruck » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 am

I had this in my cart with the US mint. I was there at the start. Then a message eventually appears after about 20 minutes. Something to the effect, "you have an invalid item in your cart". Sold out in three minutes by my guess - so "mine" was lost.
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:21 am

AuStruck wrote:I had this in my cart with the US mint. I was there at the start. Then a message eventually appears after about 20 minutes. Something to the effect, "you have an invalid item in your cart". Sold out in three minutes by my guess - so "mine" was lost.

"AuStruck"... cool name there :thumbup: You should copyright it.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby ScrapMetal » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:47 am

My son and myself were on the Mint website giving all we had to get one. I had 1 in my cart, but at checkout said "Sold Out". My son got lucky and actually got one, and received it on Friday. He wants to sell it but we both fear scammers. We see it going for over $1000, and it would be great to get that amount. We are not sure how to proceed in getting that amount without fear of being scammed out both the coin and money. A local sale, face to face, is what I told him he should do, even if he got less than the $1000 going price.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:05 pm

I saw someone selling these at a LCS, the owner was kind of excited about them, as the customer who had them came in while he was working with me.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:44 am

Had one in my cart and got timed out...
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:19 am

AdamsSamoa wrote:Had one in my cart and got timed out...

Collectors don't even have a chance anymore. These greedy dealers/flippers scarfing up all of them before you can even get one. It's pathetic.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby rainsonme » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:03 pm

If you have one for sale, and you are worried about scammers, why not sell it to a RealCenter?
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby christostock » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:45 pm

ScrapMetal wrote:My son and myself were on the Mint website giving all we had to get one. I had 1 in my cart, but at checkout said "Sold Out". My son got lucky and actually got one, and received it on Friday. He wants to sell it but we both fear scammers. We see it going for over $1000, and it would be great to get that amount. We are not sure how to proceed in getting that amount without fear of being scammed out both the coin and money. A local sale, face to face, is what I told him he should do, even if he got less than the $1000 going price.

I will buy it
send me a private message
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
AdamsSamoa wrote:Had one in my cart and got timed out...

Collectors don't even have a chance anymore. These greedy dealers/flippers scarfing up all of them before you can even get one. It's pathetic.

With all due respect, with a limit of one per household, how could dealers scarf them all up?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby everything » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:14 pm

How do dealers get them? They line people up and educate them as to how they can use a fast internet connection and the right browser to be able to get through to get the order. They work out a deal before hand on payment, even sending out email/advertisement to their mail lists. They can also get employees in on the deal.

It just makes the competition all the more fierce. The sets or rounds gravitate towards dealers, for grading/flipping/certification, or strong hands. But .. to some extent, yeah it's a flipathon, ASE has big following and collectability as far as moderns go.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:34 pm

It looks like prices have plummeted on these. I see several on eBay that are slabbed and have sold for well less than $100 each. Pretty sure I am looking at the right coins. Would someone please correct me if I am wrong?

If this is true, then you have more and more people who become VERY CONFIDENT that the big price spikes that happen on these coins won't last for long. So the spikes become lower and lower and the coins have to be sold that much more quickly. After a while, it just isn't worth doing it anymore. I'm guessing that when the mint's website is working just fine and everyone gets what they want, that will be a bad sign. Just my own speculation.

CORRECTION: Now I am confused. Which ones were the good ones- S-mint or W-mint?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby AdamsSamoa » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:59 pm

S
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:49 am

Recyclersteve wrote:It looks like prices have plummeted on these. I see several on eBay that are slabbed and have sold for well less than $100 each. Pretty sure I am looking at the right coins. Would someone please correct me if I am wrong?

If this is true, then you have more and more people who become VERY CONFIDENT that the big price spikes that happen on these coins won't last for long. So the spikes become lower and lower and the coins have to be sold that much more quickly. After a while, it just isn't worth doing it anymore. I'm guessing that when the mint's website is working just fine and everyone gets what they want, that will be a bad sign. Just my own speculation.

CORRECTION: Now I am confused. Which ones were the good ones- S-mint or W-mint?
\

Happens a lot with these "special" government strikes... the price spikes initially, then falls on it's face.

Greedy speculators and flippers hoping to get in and out quickly with a nice profit.

Reminds me of the JFK gold half dollar mania. The price on those has fallen substantially.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:37 pm

AdamsSamoa wrote:S

Thx. So it looks like about 5 of these recently sold on eBay in the $100-150 range. Ouch!

Recyclersteve

Postby chris6084 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:24 am

Are you sure you are looking at the right ones? S mint silver eagles are selling for under $100. But the reverse proof ones that this thread is about are still sky high. I see 16 sold today alone over $1500
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:24 pm

chris6084 wrote:Are you sure you are looking at the right ones? S mint silver eagles are selling for under $100. But the reverse proof ones that this thread is about are still sky high. I see 16 sold today alone over $1500

I AM NOT sure that I was looking at the correct thing which makes me even more cautious about these coins.

Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals