Buying/Selling Bullion and Coins with eBay Managed Payments

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Buying/Selling Bullion and Coins with eBay Managed Payments

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:25 am

This year eBay is supposed to fully implement its managed payments system which will eventually replace PayPal on the site.

Apparently the restricted items policy for selling with eBay managed payments is different from PayPal's policy. Most notably to myself and members of this forum, the following items are not allowed to be listed:

- bullion
- coins and paper money

You can read the full policy here: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/sell ... 20payments

How will bullion and coins be traded on the site come the full rollout of managed payments? I'm guessing the restricted categories will require PayPal or a private card processor in order to list items for sale.

Who knows with eBay though. If your business depends on these categories, it's time to make plans for the coming chaos.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Buying/Selling Bullion and Coins with eBay Managed Payme

Postby chris6084 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:31 am

What do you think the reason is for this? I'm sure the big dealers will have an exception. So are they trying to eliminate small sellers from selling coin items?
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:15 am

chris6084 wrote:What do you think the reason is for this? I'm sure the big dealers will have an exception. So are they trying to eliminate small sellers from selling coin items?

It may be the risk for the escrow holder is too great. The stats might show more problems with coin transactions. I know if you look at the feedbacks for coin dealers there seems to be more neutrals and negatives. COIN people are weird :lol:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 pm

Screw Feebay. Buy coins from your LCS or online bullion dealers instead.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby coindood » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:38 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:Screw Feebay. Buy coins from your LCS or online bullion dealers instead.

I dunno.

eBay is always my source for stuff the LCS's don't stock (foreign, ancients, etc). Hate to have to rely on semi-annual coin shows with their limited stock.

If Joe "estate sale"-style eBayers start disappearing I may have to scale back my collecting. Have never had a bad experience with a purchase, but I'm careful.
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:43 am

Not sure I understand what they mean by Managed Payments. Is that a fancy way of saying someone is marking monthly payments instead of paying in full when they buy something?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby chris6084 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:29 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Not sure I understand what they mean by Managed Payments. Is that a fancy way of saying someone is marking monthly payments instead of paying in full when they buy something?

It's their own payment system. Not Paypal
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:08 pm

I've been buying and selling silver coins, sterling silver, car parts & vintage baseball cards on ebay for ten years now and all has gone very smoothly and I like everything about paypal and paypal is all I use. For months now I've been receiving emails from ebay telling me I need to sign up for "managed payments". I've been ignoring them for now but when the time comes that ebay forces me to sign up and forgo paypal then I will finally call it quits on "feebay". As of October 1 California now requires us Californians to pay 7.75% tax on ALL on line purchases shipped to California so I have been seriously considering quitting ebay anyways due to this new California "Bend Over" law as I call it :thumbdown:

When Isaac Newton wrote his masterpiece on the "Laws of Nature" I feel he should have included one more Law--

--"No matter how well something works The Powers To Be in time will find a way to screw it up".
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:14 pm

paypal regularly does a 24 month 0% interest deal on purchases over $600, but they do stipulate no bullion, which locks me out of buying those nice 4 roll Maple Leafs, but there's a fellow, that had REALLY nice cello wrapped Proof Washington's 1957-1964 in $10FV lots, and I bought a whole BUNCH...beautiful coins!..i think I bought $150 face, I have whole 1957 to 1964 line......and then I stopped, coz, imho, I need MORE Maples, .9999's....BUT, i'm good for now, my impetus, my whole thing is paying down ALL DEBT, and God willing in a year, that will be done....gonna be strange days ahead...glad I live in the Great White North...don't be surprised if they "postpone" the Nov 2020 election...here's something you guys might like, peoples broadcasting systems "Frontline" documentary did a program, "The Great Divide", which is drivel, BUT they did include the whole Steve Bannon interview, 2 hours and 30 minutes, there isn't ANYTHING false about what Steve says, NOTHING....and you wont go wrong giving it a watch, Steve isn't boring, that's for sure....be well, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals