Interesting - USD up AND PMs are even or up

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Interesting - USD up AND PMs are even or up

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:33 am

I'm always more interested in the exceptional times. Gold is maintaining or rising while USD is rising. Silver as well. That's not the norm.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Interesting - USD up AND PMs are even or up

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Wise statement 68C. I was just thinking about that today. The way I see it, GoldSilver and the US buck are riding together on a tandem bike. They happen to be traveling at a pretty good clip now or, at least, have found their way out of the doldrums. It's been a ho-hum existence for quite awhile and now it's great to stretch their legs.

Problem is the street they're traveling upon is under construction. Obstacles are everywhere. Their "Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes" philosophy just doesn't cut it on a now-unfamiliar route. One or both riders will be distracted by some large or small world event. Those events may have their roots in completely different camps, however. Long-term togetherness for both tandem riders in the same direction and at the same speed is delusional for all concerned.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:58 pm

They can move in tandem sometimes, but 80% of the time, they don't. Over the long term I don't think it means much.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:33 pm

The thing that USD and gold have in common are that they are both safe havens compared to the average currency or bubble market. If they all keep going up, that would lead me to suspect market insiders know something I don't.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:47 pm

I agree that a small sample size is nothing worth getting excited about.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:22 am

InfleXion wrote:The thing that USD and gold have in common are that they are both safe havens compared to the average currency or bubble market. If they all keep going up, that would lead me to suspect market insiders know something I don't.

JP Morgan has accumulated one of the largest physical silver positions in history. That is very telling.

As I've posted many times, silver is dirt cheap. It was an absolute steal at $13-14... IMO, we won't see $13 again for a very long time, if ever.

Premiums on 90% are still (remarkably) very low. $0.29 - 0.69 is a joke. Get it while you can. I expect those premiums to rise substantially as prices rise and inventory decreases. In 2008 premiums on 90% were $5.00-8.00
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:57 am

If it wasn't implied in the OP, a disclaimer - do not ever act on any of my posts. lol

This was informational only, an interesting tidbit. A somewhat anomalous market behavior that I thought was worthy of note. No suggestion of a long-term trend. Just something to note and be watchful of. Do your own due diligence - DYODD.

That said, we're on day 6 of this behavior. I haven't seen this in awhile. It's not clear what is driving it. Gold (and to some extent, with noise - palladium) are essentially static, silver and platinum are up notable amounts. All should be down. I have no idea why.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby smackvay » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:28 am

68Camaro wrote:If it wasn't implied in the OP, a disclaimer - do not ever act on any of my posts. lol

This was informational only, an interesting tidbit. A somewhat anomalous market behavior that I thought was worthy of note. No suggestion of a long-term trend. Just something to note and be watchful of. Do your own due diligence - DYODD.

That said, we're on day 6 of this behavior. I haven't seen this in awhile. It's not clear what is driving it. Gold (and to some extent, with noise - palladium) are essentially static, silver and platinum are up notable amounts. All should be down. I have no idea why.

Wait I just sold my house for war nickels based of your post :thumbup:

Now what do I do

Mike
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:08 am

I just hope you got the weight of your house in those nickels! Lol
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:38 pm

Speaking of war nickels— I ran into a jeweler while traveling to northern Kentucky last month (outside of Cincinnati). A young guy brought in some coins. I could see there were nickels in the box. The jeweler told him he’d pay $2 each for war nickels, but the young guy didn’t have any. I was floored, but didn’t have any with me since I was traveling. I did manage to sell 25 silver 40% halves to him for $3 each (6x face). Heck, he’ll probably sell them for 4-5x face.

Where did I get the halves, you ask? All for face value from the same bank in rural Ohio!

P.S. My apologies for getting severely off track from the original topic of this post!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Speaking of war nickels— I ran into a jeweler while traveling to northern Kentucky last month (outside of Cincinnati). A young guy brought in some coins. I could see there were nickels in the box. The jeweler told him he’d pay $2 each for war nickels, but the young guy didn’t have any. I was floored, but didn’t have any with me since I was traveling. I did manage to sell 25 silver 40% halves to him for $3 each (6x face). Heck, he’ll probably sell them for 4-5x face.

Where did I get the halves, you ask? All for face value from the same bank in rural Ohio!

P.S. My apologies for getting severely off track from the original topic of this post!

$2 each?... good price. Right now a war nickels current silver value is 0.92 cents. My LCS guy is selling war nickels for $1 each.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:48 pm

I totally agree. If I was at home, I’d have grabbed every one I had (except Uncs.) and sold them all. Why didn’t I mail them when I got home? Because the jeweler would have had time to check with his boss (who was out of the office that day) and never would have paid anything close to $2. So I would have spent freight two ways for nothing.

I believe he really would have paid $2 each for the war nickels. After all, he gave me $3 each for 40% silver halves.

Recyclersteve

Postby InfleXion » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:37 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
InfleXion wrote:The thing that USD and gold have in common are that they are both safe havens compared to the average currency or bubble market. If they all keep going up, that would lead me to suspect market insiders know something I don't.

JP Morgan has accumulated one of the largest physical silver positions in history. That is very telling.

As I've posted many times, silver is dirt cheap. It was an absolute steal at $13-14... IMO, we won't see $13 again for a very long time, if ever.

Premiums on 90% are still (remarkably) very low. $0.29 - 0.69 is a joke. Get it while you can. I expect those premiums to rise substantially as prices rise and inventory decreases. In 2008 premiums on 90% were $5.00-8.00

I haven't paid attention lately, but I thought the JPM short position was dispersed a few years back. Though I don't doubt there are plenty of other primary dealers carrying that torch.

I bought a little bit in the 14s, but have been more focused on other tangible things like retro video games and vintage comic books since I have a better half now, and had to get that out of my system :mrgreen: she doesn't complain about how I spend my money though, only if I take up too much space. I'd definitely like to get some more shiny. Although I fully agree silver is the screaming deal, gold is calling to me since lugging around the heavier silver isn't as convenient if I need to hightail it. I feel like everything tangible is undervalued due to demand in cyberspace that will only last as long as people keep faith in the vacuous, so buying anything non-digital is good in my book.

InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:43 am

The whole JP Morgan thing is very confusing, and I haven't read what Ted Butler has said over the past several years so I don't know where he stands at this point.

Nonetheless, Ted did assert that JPM had a HUGE short position in silver a number of years ago. They have also supposedly bought a lot of physical silver in recent years. I don't know whether they were trying to cover their short position or whether they planned on holding a boxed (both long and short) position on physical silver.

I believe their physical silver holdings are largely in London.

Anyone else keeping up with this or who has read Ted Butler recently?

Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:58 pm

USD index is over 99 now and USD valued PMs continue to maintain or rise. There is a cycle but gold keeps pulling itself back to $1500 every time the USD index moves higher. The USD is still the best horse in the glue factory; given negative interest rates in other parts of the world the USD still looks better than other options, for now. When the USD crashes again gold will be over $2000 - at a minimum. Again, not an investment per se - rather a stable safe haven that is resistant to inflation.
68Camaro

Postby amalekidad » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:11 pm

68Camaro always says things that strike home with me!
"The USD is still the best horse in the glue factory" :clap:
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:00 am

amalekidad wrote:68Camaro always says things that strike home with me!
"The USD is still the best horse in the glue factory" :clap:

That's been true for quite some time now, jackpot question is... how long?
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:That's been true for quite some time now, jackpot question is... how long?

As soon as Elizabeth Warren assumes the Presidency :o :o :o
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:28 pm

pennypicker wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:That's been true for quite some time now, jackpot question is... how long?

As soon as Elizabeth Warren assumes the Presidency :o :o :o

The average lifespan of fiat currency is I think 50 years which would be 2021 as compared to when we went off the gold standard in 1971, but it's been longer than that if comparing to when we stopped being able to service our debts, since going off the gold standard was necessitated by that. That's not exact science obviously.. markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent, and we are in a unique digital age of cryptocurrencies diverting a lot of demand away from metals as a fiat alternative. So we may need to wait for people to realize that vaporware isn't the answer before this monetary cycle runs its course.

InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:03 pm

68Camaro wrote:USD index is over 99 now and USD valued PMs continue to maintain or rise. There is a cycle but gold keeps pulling itself back to $1500 every time the USD index moves higher. The USD is still the best horse in the glue factory; given negative interest rates in other parts of the world the USD still looks better than other options, for now. When the USD crashes again gold will be over $2000 - at a minimum. Again, not an investment per se - rather a stable safe haven that is resistant to inflation.

USD is back over 99 again, and gold has - in the process - maintained at $1580 ish, near 1600. The gold to USD factor is near 1600. A 10% drop in USD pushes gold to 1755. A 25% drop in USD - to where it was in 2011 - and gold is over 2100. Not considering any increase in demand.
68Camaro

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:42 pm

68Camaro wrote:
68Camaro wrote:USD index is over 99 now and USD valued PMs continue to maintain or rise. There is a cycle but gold keeps pulling itself back to $1500 every time the USD index moves higher. The USD is still the best horse in the glue factory; given negative interest rates in other parts of the world the USD still looks better than other options, for now. When the USD crashes again gold will be over $2000 - at a minimum. Again, not an investment per se - rather a stable safe haven that is resistant to inflation.

USD is back over 99 again, and gold has - in the process - maintained at $1580 ish, near 1600. The gold to USD factor is near 1600. A 10% drop in USD pushes gold to 1755. A 25% drop in USD - to where it was in 2011 - and gold is over 2100. Not considering any increase in demand.

Thanks for the update. Metals are in a really strange step right now but I would imagine this pattern would continue.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals