buying on ebay

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

buying on ebay

Postby Sanford02 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:33 pm

RC folks,

I am mostly a lurker here, but I have been interested in all things metal for a long time. Long story short....I find myself wanting to buy some 2019 1oz AGE. In the past I have bought from sources I know and trust. This time, it looks like the item I want is only available on ebay. There are some MS70 NGC slabbed coins that align with my preference. The sellers appear to be coin dealers with thousands of feedbacks and 99+% positive. I hesitate to buy because I have not done this on ebay before.

Any thoughts or advice? given the info I conveyed, do you think these are legit and not fakes?
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Re: buying on ebay

Postby smackvay » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:37 pm

Hard to tell if legit or fake without more info.
If they have thousands of positive feedback I’d say you are fine
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:17 pm

First off, I see you have 50 feedbacks. That is considerably more than a "lurker" :clap:

I have not purchased a slab in some time. Are those being faked too now?

Also new (somewhat new) to ebay: you'll pay State sales taxes at checkout. Sometimes even when you don't have to.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:29 am

Perhaps if you told us the name of the vendor, we'd know if we've dealt with them or not.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:48 am

If you are buying from a known seller it is most likely good, but you are covered to return it. You could also pay with a CC and that would cover you even one step further.

If you wanted a want ad on here we might be able to come up with what you are looking for and I’d be shocked if it wasn’t cheaper than ebay.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sanford02 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:47 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-American- ... 2001696443

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-American- ... 2001696490

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-50-Americ ... 4339809698

Those are the 3 items I was considering...in order of interest. I have never bought NGC slabs before, so I am not sure if they ever get faked or not. I was able to contact a member here who I have done business with before (although he is not around here much at all anymore), and he was able to offer me a better deal for what I wanted. But, for the future, I am interested in what you guys think about those ebay items.
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:28 am

Isnt liberty coin Patrick Heller? If so that should be a solid place to buy.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:01 pm

I bought a AGE on Ebay from. Liberty Coin back in May.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:51 pm

I don't know qianscoins, but look at all that positive feedback. I would buy from them. Liberty is obviously trustworthy. 6-digit positive feedback.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sanford02 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:56 pm

It does look like fake NGC slabs do exist:

From Market Harmony - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2JAZy012w
Sanford02
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Morsecode wrote:First off, I see you have 50 feedbacks. That is considerably more than a "lurker" :clap:

I have not purchased a slab in some time. Are those being faked too now?

Also new (somewhat new) to ebay: you'll pay State sales taxes at checkout. Sometimes even when you don't have to.

Slabs have been faked for some time now.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals