Trap Door Opens for Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Trap Door Opens for Silver

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:44 pm

The price of silver as well as other PMs rise and/or fall on any market day. Like it or not, we've been conditioned over the years to expect that. Today, we experienced about an 8% drop in silver's value. We all have an idea of what may be causing this anomaly, but that's a crap shoot by itself to identify.

Just think of all the world events and pick one to be the cause. I opt for a multitude of reasons that have morphed into a witches' brew of awfulness. Personally, I think it's a trifecta of the stock market reaching new highs, COVID ready to bite more people and political forces that not many of us understand.

Buckle up. There's turbulence ahead.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Trap Door Opens for Silver

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:58 am

Scuttlebutt says big hit coming Monday on tech stocks, which may drag down the entire market.

At least 10 countries have agreed to nationalize or ban the big social media companies, locally. They are "uncomfortable" that those companies have the power to silence national leaders, like they have done with Trump.

Anyway, take it with a gain of salt. Just a heads up on a low-probability, high impact event. Kind of like a Giant Meteor.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:26 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:Kind of like a Giant Meteor.

Can't get here soon enough. :clap:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:07 pm

Morsecode wrote:
IdahoCopper wrote:Kind of like a Giant Meteor.

Can't get here soon enough. :clap:

Yes, but then the stock market would go even higher.

:lol:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:23 pm

The term “trap door” implies that it is really hard to make money on silver. I respectfully disagree.

Now, for someone who has lots of debt and can’t stomach a quick 20-30% loss, I agree the degree of difficulty is quite high. But for someone who doesn’t mind going against the crowd, isn’t saddled with debt, and has an appetite for risk (many talk a good game and later ask “Now what?” when things get tough), it is worth considering.

I have written in much more depth on this topic many times over the years- here and elsewhere.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pennypicker » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:10 pm

My thinking is that many are pulling their money out of PM's and buying Bitcoin due to its astronomic gains recently...and frankly I don't blame those who do.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:44 pm

pennypicker wrote:My thinking is that many are pulling their money out of PM's and buying Bitcoin due to its astronomic gains recently...and frankly I don't blame those who do.

NEVER... underestimate the popular delusions and madness of crowds.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:27 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
pennypicker wrote:My thinking is that many are pulling their money out of PM's and buying Bitcoin due to its astronomic gains recently...and frankly I don't blame those who do.

Well Said!!!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hirbonzig » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:45 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one. “

Charles Mackay
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:05 am

pennypicker wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

Well Said!!!

+1
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals