GSR

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: GSR

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:06 pm

Catfish4u wrote:'3) Are you prepared to buy more if it goes down 10-20% and maybe even more than once?' I do not agree with this one. Just because it drops does not mean you 'should throw more money at it'. You should not be chasing losses with the 'rent money'. jmho

I’m not at all suggesting anyone do it with rent money. Not a chance. Only with either speculative $ or $ that can be tied up 5-10 years. Example: Someone has $1 million in assets outside their primary residence and is debt free. If they agree to commit $20k to precious metals (2% of the assets) and are prepared to buy $5k at four different price points, that is what I’m getting at. If the $20k went to zero (they bought physical and it was all stolen), they would still be just fine.

Someone with a much bigger net worth could take more chances. Example: Your have $5 million outside your primary residence and figure $2 million of that will last you the rest of your life. Then you could afford to speculate with perhaps 20-30% (in some cases more) of your net worth.

For those just starting out and of more modest means you have to consider that if you go in aggressively, you may have to wait many years to break even or start all over. Also, you are paying a dealer’s overhead and profit when buying and selling. So silver could have to go up perhaps 20-30% or so (others- plz. correct me on this number if I am wrong) just to break even. That’s why some should consider buying SLV stock instead. The markup is only 1-2 cents a share and several brokers don’t charge any commission.

There is a risk with SLV. That is, what if J.P. Morgan (the custodian for the silver in the vault) says that a lot of the silver is missing (long story- trust me- it can happen)?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:38 am

Spikeanator6982 wrote:how long will we go?

Looks like Market Harmony's timing was pretty good even though he was perhaps a month early. The ratio got as high as 125!

I'm now old enough to have seen a few of these cycles. What usually happens is gold is dormant for what seems like foreever, and then makes a move. Its usually a decade long move.

The move starts with the highest quality - gold. From a stocks perspective, first you see the majors move, then the juniors.

Silver is effectively a derivative of gold. Its viewed as a substitute. Its not the first choice. So it moves only when the ratio gets so out of whack.

There is no real logic to this, its emotion. You notice that silver didn't really start to move until folks noticed the ridiculous GSR of 125.

So now silver has some attention. You probably have shorts covering, expecially headed into a summer weekend. Expect the shorts to be laid on again Monday, and the price in the short term to retrace a bit.

Long term, there are a lot of good reasons why the GSR should be 15-16 but a realistic target at the end of this cycle is 55-60. Someone above threw out a target of 56 and it makes a lot of sense based on technical analysis. The reason it makes sense is that its been 4 decades since the GSR spent any time below 50: https://www.macrotrends.net/1441/gold-to-silver-ratio

If you look at the longer term GSR, before 1984, what you have to realize is that internationally gold, but not silver, is considered a risk-free asset like cash by banking regulators. So they can lever the hell out of it. Silver, in contrast, they have to hold reserves against. So there is unlimited demand for gold, but very modest demand for silver, in the banking system.

If you assume Gold of $2000 and a GSR of 55, then that is $36/oz for Ag. $3000 gold at @ 55 GSR imples $55 silver. $4000 gold at @ 55 GSR imples $73 silver.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Spikeanator6982 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:39 pm

I've been on this site for over 10 years, I really didn't need the lecture. I was just joking about "how low will we go" referring to the GSR
, but I do see I mistyped.

Recyclersteve wrote:

If you are asking that question, I sure hope you don't plan on investing anything other than gambling money. Silver can easily go down 10-20% at virtually any time. And then it can always turn around and go right back up. There is tons of good info and sharp people on this site, but you need to be prepared to dig deep to get it. If I were managing money for you (and I don't do that), I'd ask the following as a minimum:

1) How much do you want to invest?
2) What is your goal (percent to gain) and by when?
3) Are you prepared to buy more if it goes down 10-20% and maybe even more than once?
4) Are you someone who can get faked out easily when rumors come out or are you cool as a cucumber? (This is often hard to answer well until you have your hard earned money on the line and things are NOT going well)
5) What are you doing to hedge your investments? Ideally, someone wants to be able to say, "Well if I lose a lot on this investment, I will likely do very well on this other one. And there is a good chance both could do well over time."

Others can probably add other questions that would be good to ask. The best investors are cool and calm under fire.

P.S. Nobody but nobody can definitively answer your question. You will merely get opinions.
Spikeanator6982
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:

If you are asking that question, I sure hope you don't plan on investing anything other than gambling money. Silver can easily go down 10-20% at virtually any time. And then it can always turn around and go right back up. There is tons of good info and sharp people on this site, but you need to be prepared to dig deep to get it. If I were managing money for you (and I don't do that), I'd ask the following as a minimum:

1) How much do you want to invest?
2) What is your goal (percent to gain) and by when?
3) Are you prepared to buy more if it goes down 10-20% and maybe even more than once?
4) Are you someone who can get faked out easily when rumors come out or are you cool as a cucumber? (This is often hard to answer well until you have your hard earned money on the line and things are NOT going well)
5) What are you doing to hedge your investments? Ideally, someone wants to be able to say, "Well if I lose a lot on this investment, I will likely do very well on this other one. And there is a good chance both could do well over time."

Others can probably add other questions that would be good to ask. The best investors are cool and calm under fire.

P.S. Nobody but nobody can definitively answer your question. You will merely get opinions.

This is a diversion from GSR and does not belong on this thread
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:34 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:

Looks like Market Harmony's timing was pretty good even though he was perhaps a month early. The ratio got as high as 125!

I'm now old enough to have seen a few of these cycles. What usually happens is gold is dormant for what seems like foreever, and then makes a move. Its usually a decade long move.

The move starts with the highest quality - gold. From a stocks perspective, first you see the majors move, then the juniors.

Silver is effectively a derivative of gold. Its viewed as a substitute. Its not the first choice. So it moves only when the ratio gets so out of whack.

There is no real logic to this, its emotion. You notice that silver didn't really start to move until folks noticed the ridiculous GSR of 125.

So now silver has some attention. You probably have shorts covering, expecially headed into a summer weekend. Expect the shorts to be laid on again Monday, and the price in the short term to retrace a bit.

Long term, there are a lot of good reasons why the GSR should be 15-16 but a realistic target at the end of this cycle is 55-60. Someone above threw out a target of 56 and it makes a lot of sense based on technical analysis. The reason it makes sense is that its been 4 decades since the GSR spent any time below 50: https://www.macrotrends.net/1441/gold-to-silver-ratio

If you look at the longer term GSR, before 1984, what you have to realize is that internationally gold, but not silver, is considered a risk-free asset like cash by banking regulators. So they can lever the hell out of it. Silver, in contrast, they have to hold reserves against. So there is unlimited demand for gold, but very modest demand for silver, in the banking system.

If you assume Gold of $2000 and a GSR of 55, then that is $36/oz for Ag. $3000 gold at @ 55 GSR imples $55 silver. $4000 gold at @ 55 GSR imples $73 silver.

THIS THIS THIS

Thank you sir for an excellent contribution to understanding the dynamics of the relationship between the metals.

One point I'd like for you to elaborate upon would be the "first choice" notion of gold. I don't think that many people are aware that they themselves subconsciously agree with the preferred status of gold. Especially when they begin to confuse industry with banking.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:38 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
Market Harmony wrote: you will be hard pressed to figure out a good trade with the premiums the way that they are right now.

When the price was low in March and premiums for junk silver and ASE's were ridiculous, I just bought SLV (the silver ETF) in the stock market. There you don't have to worry about ridiculous premiums or dealer markups. The difference between the bid and ask is usually just 1-2 cents per share. SLV has tons of liquidity- currently it is averaging 32 million shares traded per day, so getting in and out is very easy.

The trade worked fine, except that I'd have made a lot more if I just had the stones to hold on til now. Oh well. Not complaining.

You are correct, but you are talking apples and this is oranges. I have already expounded upon the paper market vs physical.

Excellent trading to have been able to trade pairs like you said! Not everyone has the guts to do it.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:58 am

Market Harmony wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:

THIS THIS THIS

Thank you sir for an excellent contribution to understanding the dynamics of the relationship between the metals.

One point I'd like for you to elaborate upon would be the "first choice" notion of gold. I don't think that many people are aware that they themselves subconsciously agree with the preferred status of gold. Especially when they begin to confuse industry with banking.

I'll try to explain in terms of what happens, or what I've seen happen, and what I expect to happen, but I won't say it makes sense to me and when I first got into this space it was not what I expected.

When you see big money printing, like with TARP in 2008 or the stuff going on now with COVID, what it means is there are more dollars and the same number of assets. Imagine you are playing monopoly, and someone cheat and goes into the next room and takes all of the money from a second monopoly game, comes back to the first game and spends that money. The prices of all assets in the first game should go up.

During TARP, the Fed's balance sheet went from $1 trillion to $4 trillion. I have heard that during COVID is already gone from $4 or $5 trillion to $7 trillion.

Think of the Fed's balance sheet as a mutual fund or stock, and dollars are shares of that mutual fund. So now there are a lot more shares but basically the same amount of stuff (perhaps not true depending on what the Fed did) so the original dollars are worth less, just like in my monopoply example the original money now buys less.

So we are starting to see a move into precious metals and bitcoin out of the dollar.

The mistake I made when I first got to this space is to buy silver first, because it was an even better value. I wasn't wrong, just early, which is a polite way of saying I was wrong.

What happens is that the first instinct of the market is to move towards the largest volume assets like gold. Silver follows. We just saw a big move over several days in silver, but that was probably short covering. I won't be surprised to see it evaporate. But silver will be back.

What you need is a sustained (over time) move in gold to create momentum. Once the sector has new eyeballs, people will move from gold to silver. But right now, that is called a "risk-on" trade and it won't happen until the trend in gold has been confirmed. People are moving to gold as a risk off trade, so it takes some time for the risk on trades to work out.

So you see the gold miners move first, then once the trend is confirmed the juniors and silver producers follow. (Odd ball players like royalty streamers and non-producers like NAK (which are basically just an out of the money long option on gold and copper) are exceptions to this because of the embedded leverage and low operating costs.)

Anyway, that's how its played out in the past and how I expect it will play out this time, over the next 1-3 years. This is the top of the first inning.

A similar asset is Bitcoin. Think of that like gold, because it is the deepest market. The altcoins are a fraction of it. So if I were buying crypto now, I'd buy Bitcoin. Once it got to where I thought the trend was established, maybe $20+K, then I might diversify into altcoins. But right now you are probably early, which is another way to say you are wrong.

One caveat on crypto - for a big portion of Bitcoin's lifespan, futures were not available. If you follow the work of GATA, then you understand how futures allow the big players to manipulate a commodity like gold, silver or bitcoin. So Bitcoin's price history may not necessary be relevant to its future in a world where big players can cap the price with futures.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CardsNCoins » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:45 pm

The GSR got to 70 pretty darn quick.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:24 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:The GSR got to 70 pretty darn quick.

You can expect confounding spikes in the future. This market can exhibit wild disconnections- such as gold price declining and silver rising simultaneously and for an extended time frame. One way to get to 55:1 is for silver to be 30 and gold 1,650... use your imagination and this market can do it. World-wide money supply is increasing and the available places for it to go has remained the same. When money velocity picks up, then it's time to be nimble!

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:01 am

Market Harmony wrote:
CardsNCoins wrote:The GSR got to 70 pretty darn quick.

You can expect confounding spikes in the future. This market can exhibit wild disconnections- such as gold price declining and silver rising simultaneously and for an extended time frame. One way to get to 55:1 is for silver to be 30 and gold 1,650... use your imagination and this market can do it. World-wide money supply is increasing and the available places for it to go has remained the same. When money velocity picks up, then it's time to be nimble!

We are currently seeing some wild swings in the pricing of markets in general... stocks, bonds, commodities, real estate, etc. etc.... money is MOVING!!! Be nimble!

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:31 pm

Be nimble my friends... currently very interesting dynamics (I don't get tired of saying that). The physical market GSR is disconnected from the paper market. Premiums for physical silver are skyrocketing due to speculators driving prices in the paper market. There is a major disconnect in the GSR. Paper GSR is 1815.10/26.73= 67.9 GSR BUT BUT BUT physical GSR is 1900.90 (1 oz K-rand) / 32.02 (100 oz generic bar) = 59.36

HUGE DIFFERENCE.... BE MINDFUL OF OPPORTUNITIES

67.9 GSR paper vs 59.36 GSR physical

Try to find trade opportunities that are in your favor based on the market in which the transaction is being made... if you think the paper trade can be used in the physical market, then you are just as misinformed as the majority. But not now, you just read reality. ;)

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Changechecker » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:26 pm

I have a one tenth ounce gold piece (1999) . Dealer wants to buy it. I was considering a trade for silver. What would be fair trade?
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Postby AdamsSamoa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:07 pm

I am thinking 6 and a 1/4

1,777 divided by 10 gives you.
177 a 1/10...

Silver is 28.3 today... so.... 6.25 OZs give or take... but there are a lot of variables that I would have to consider... What type of Silver... what type of 1/10th? ect..
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:04 pm

Changechecker wrote:I have a one tenth ounce gold piece (1999) . Dealer wants to buy it. I was considering a trade for silver. What would be fair trade?

"Fair trade" is 2 parties agreeing upon the deal.

Current retail 1/10th GAE avg $210
Current retail rounds avg $33

You need to exchange between retail to retail in order to attain this trade ratio.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Changechecker » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:51 am

Yesterday I took a few guys from work to the coin shop. My coworker who is on the "enrollment program" at the US mint had the "deer in the headlight look". I steered him to the box of $30.00 Morgan's . He got out his loop and began his speech. I waited for him to finish. He was holding a beautiful AU/VG Morgan and debating buying at $30. SMH I said "if you don't want it put it back I'll buy it". He finally decided to buy 1 of 4 that were all about the same quality. I grabbed the other 3.
Before leaving the owner mentioned again about looking for gold. He thanked me for bringing my friends, who both bought a few hundred dollars worth of coins.
I agree with you MH that "fair" should be retail on both sides.
He has a box of "full weight-full detail/date" mercury dimes. I may offer to trade a 1/10 GAE for two full rolls of dimes. I have given him enough business lately that he may accept the offer.
Changechecker
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals