Buying PMs with crypto

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Buying PMs with crypto

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:19 am

Does anyone have experience with buying PMs from trusted, well known bullion sales companies? I am thinking of companies like Apmex, JMbullion, etc.

How did it work out for you?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: Buying PMs with crypto

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:22 am

I don’t do crypto but I happened to read this page about buying gold with bitcoin the other day. These guys are a big dealer in Canada. https://silvergoldbull.ca/buy-gold-with-bitcoin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:36 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Does anyone have experience with buying PMs from trusted, well known bullion sales companies? I am thinking of companies like Apmex, JMbullion, etc.

How did it work out for you?

Could this be way of getting around paying capital gains on crypto profits? I guess the exchange still sends a 1099 to the IRS, right?
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JJM » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:55 pm

Idahocopper, weren't you the guy that used to take crypto for jerkey but then later lost the passcode to your crypto?

Did you find it? Hope so!

I sure wish I would have put that Bitcoin mining rig together when I first read about it on here ~10 years ago....lol
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:16 am

Last edited by IdahoCopper on Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:22 am

JJM wrote:Idahocopper, weren't you the guy that used to take crypto for jerkey but then later lost the passcode to your crypto?

I sure wish I would have put that Bitcoin mining rig together when I first read about it on here ~10 years ago....lol

Yes, I did. The wallet I used to store that saved BTC from jerky has the lost password. Its value today is $257,000. My cost/loss for that was ~$1700.

The wallet is a Bitcoin Core wallet so every week, I boot up the Bitcoin Core program so the blockchain can re-sync. It takes 3-4 hours to update the blockchain for the week's transactions. I check my wallet's balance to see if the criminals already got it. Maybe someday I can hire a quantum computer to crack it and I will get the BTC before the criminals get it.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:08 pm

This story makes me want to cry. Never losing the password to my metal or real estate.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby HD-Daddy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:27 pm

Money Metal Exchange in Idaho (I believe) will sell PM's using crypto direct from wallet.
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:27 am

HD-Daddy wrote:Money Metal Exchange in Idaho (I believe) will sell PM's using crypto direct from wallet.

Thank you for this info.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby JJM » Thu May 06, 2021 9:14 am

IdahoCopper wrote:
JJM wrote:Idahocopper, weren't you the guy that used to take crypto for jerkey but then later lost the passcode to your crypto?

Yes, I did. The wallet I used to store that saved BTC from jerky has the lost password. Its value today is $257,000. My cost/loss for that was ~$1700.

The wallet is a Bitcoin Core wallet so every week, I boot up the Bitcoin Core program so the blockchain can re-sync. It takes 3-4 hours to update the blockchain for the week's transactions. I check my wallet's balance to see if the criminals already got it. Maybe someday I can hire a quantum computer to crack it and I will get the BTC before the criminals get it.

We're pulling for you, hoping for the best!
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals