Shocked at silver premiums at local coin show

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Shocked at silver premiums at local coin show

Postby Pennysaved » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:24 pm

I went to a local coin show yesterday and was shocked by the premiums dealers were asking for

One booth had 5% above spot for junk

One booth was asking 26x face and $1.90 each for war nickels

One booth was asking $37.50 each for Silver eagles

I found only one booth that was asking melt and picked up some Barber halves

I did score some $4 silver quarters and an $8 1964 silver half at one booth; he actually told me I got him on those; he said he thought he had went through and updated all the prices :-)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Shocked at silver premiums at local coin show

Postby 999Ni » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 pm

its happening people...... :cry:

PREPARE to open those pockets WIDE.

everybody's jumpin aboard.

EDIT: afterthought
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Pennysaved wrote:I went to a local coin show yesterday and was shocked by the premiums dealers were asking for

One booth had 5% above spot for junk

One booth was asking 26x face and $1.90 each for war nickels

One booth was asking $37.50 each for Silver eagles

I found only one booth that was asking melt and picked up some Barber halves

I did score some $4 silver quarters and an $8 1964 silver half at one booth; he actually told me I got him on those; he said he thought he had went through and updated all the prices :-)

Lucky you! Those prices are rapidly fading away in the rear view mirror. It has been a couple of years since I bought Barber halves and I thought I was getting ripped off at 9x face. Looking at feeBay, it looks like $37.50 is now the norm for ASE's.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:08 pm

Goldline in specifically advertising silver.

The end is near.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Pennysaved » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Thogey wrote:Goldline in specifically advertising silver.

The end is near.

when you say the end is near; do you mean affordable silver?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:24 pm

That, and the end of negotiable US currency.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Thogey wrote:That, and the end of negotiable US currency.

Must stack more...must stack more...must...
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wagsthadog » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi there-

Don't forget- ...ASKING 26Xface....
...ASKING 37.50 per eagle...

Don't be afraid to ask if they can do better on prices. You can be tactful about it, and they can refuse, or course, but you can still get spot for many things if you sharpen your skills.

JMO wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby traderchowder » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:30 pm

I bought a silver eagle off a guy downtown the other day and it was $35+. I had been waiting for a bigger dip, but when it went to $32 last week I just thought what the hell I'll get an ounce to quell my jones.. er I mean continue dollar cost averaging.

Anyway, when the clerk told me the price he said it in such a way that it seemed he thought I was going to decline the purchase. It was like a statement-question, "That will be $35.50???". As if he himself couldn't believe he was moving ASE's at that price. I knew the premium was on the steep end but decided not to care about that for this particular purchase.
traderchowder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:17 pm

The price run up is such that i suppose it creates sticker shock even for sellers.

If you were buying ASEs at $20 just a few months ago, selling them at $35 may seem surreal!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Well to be honest Wags I wasn't looking to buy a bunch of junk silver; I would rather sort for it :-)

Most of those prices I overheard the dealer telling people who were asking.

I am a yard sale junkie so I know how to haggle if I want/need to :-)

I just wanted to see what the prices were like and was on the lookout to buy silver below spot like the $4 silver quarters and the $8 half; cant beat those deals :-)

I was surprised no one else caught on to those being below spot; I didn't go until 1PM and the show had started at 9AM (went later because I was out dumping all my halves in the AM :-)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals