Starting silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Starting silver?

Postby justj2k78 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Hey all, I've recently gotten into copper, but am thinking about dabbling in SIlver as well. Copper is easy - get pennies, search, return, repeat.

But what about silver? It seems the dimes and quarters are picked through right now... is it worth searching rolls? Do you search halves? Do these come in rolls? Are they common at all banks? I ask because anything above a quarter - I'm not all that familiar with. Anyone willing to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

J
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Starting silver?

Postby stevkc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:58 pm

justj2k78 wrote:Hey all, I've recently gotten into copper, but am thinking about dabbling in SIlver as well. Copper is easy - get pennies, search, return, repeat.

But what about silver? It seems the dimes and quarters are picked through right now... is it worth searching rolls? Do you search halves? Do these come in rolls? Are they common at all banks? I ask because anything above a quarter - I'm not all that familiar with. Anyone willing to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

J

From what I can tell from trolling the boards a awhile is that it is pretty much a huge waste of time. That is, unless it is just fun for you to search rolls with little to no reward. And maybe it is, and that's ok. But I read posts all the time of people searching thousands of dollars of halves to find a couple coins worth 5 bucks. Maybe 10 bucks if you catch a '64. Just seems like a real waste of time.
stevkc
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:55 pm

You'll find more silver by requesting customer wrapped rolls at the teller's windows than you will by ordering boxes of halves. However, you'll also have MUCH more competition in requesting those rolls, as fewer people can afford to keep $500 out of circulation. If you have the time and initiative to hit several banks repeatedly, you'll occasionally find some silver halves (very rarely full rolls of 40% or 90% or mixed) that people ignorant of their value have turned in. By ordering, you sacrifice yield for convenience... you aren't fighting lines and have less competition, but you won't find as many either. I go through $5000 a week searching, sometimes I'll get 7 or 8 boxes of skunks out of those ten, and perhaps a few 40's and (always a fewer number) of 90's. Last night was a bit better, I found about $200 melt value of silver as I sat and watched tv. Give it a try, there's silver out there. And since you are most likely gonna stack this silver and sit on it for years just tell yourself that you're finding $100 an ounce silver in advance (then you won't kick yourself in a couple of years when silver has vanished by castigating yourself "I should have searched when they were relatively plentiful!") Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby sparechange » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:06 pm

People sort halves, dimes, nickles for many reasons(habits, hobby, health(sanity), addictions, silver returns(however small), monetary reasons, neat finds, etc. I do it for some of those reasons, and I also do it a a diversion from looking at pennies all the time. It does break things up for me along with a small return in silver and other things that are sometimes found coin searching! Look at some of tracking threads & see how many and areas of country where many halves, dimes, etc. are found. Keep reading this forum for ideas, information, and stories from members. The silver is out there, just have to go for it at whatever level or reason you choose. Pennies are still a favorite of mine, but my 8 year old son really likes to search halves. To each his own hoard and have fun stacking.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals