New silver investor any advice welcome.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: New silver investor any advice welcome.

Postby wagsthadog » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:37 am

Hi there-

Don't forget to buy what YOU like. Coins can get to be an incredibly personal hobby and if you're JUST starting out it's VERY VERY VERY VERY rare if you don't like something at first, then hate it, then like it again, etc. Tons of love/hates out there. Mistakes will be made, learn from them. :D
If you're looking for the cheapest possible silver on the planet, you'll probably be spending a lot of time in the war nickel/40% swamps, (fabulous buy on the ones you mentioned earlier, btw)- but remember- it's not a perfect world. What the price is on coinflation for war nicks and 40% is not usually what you get...90% and bullion is usually much more forgiving on that aspect.
If you can buy sterling spoons and forks from like yard sales and thrift stores for pennies, GO FOR IT! but I wouldn't make that my main investment vehicle, and I wouldn't buy flatware from a dealer, too high usually.
As was mentioned earlier, I think the premiums on Eagles are too high, and I wouldn't buy anything from China. Canadian 80% silver is one of my love/hates. It's cool, and a nice diversifyer, but when you sell it you usually get garbage for it.(in the states at least) But again, what you like is just as important as a good deal. Remember why you are buying. (Why are you buying?)

jmo

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals