Gold ATM's Coming to US

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold ATM's Coming to US

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:32 am

Precious metals got a way to go. Once these machines come to the US you will see more and more yuppies getting in on the action driving up prices even more! :D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39383743/ns/business-personal_finance/
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: Gold ATM's Coming to US

Postby Neckro » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:36 am

Those things been out for years overseas.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelmeister » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:02 pm

The article claims the machines will accept credit card or CASH.
I wonder if the ATM has to fill out 1099 forms?
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:18 pm

Nickelmeister wrote:The article claims the machines will accept credit card or CASH.
I wonder if the ATM has to fill out 1099 forms?

:lol:

What a mess! I'm buying one of these machines if/when they become available here. I wonder how long it will be before I'll have to restock it?
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Gold Vending Machines Land In Las Vegas
http://www.luxist.com/2010/06/04/gold-v ... las-vegas/

This will be neat when it hits!
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Copper Catcher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Gold sold like chocolate from German vending machines
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/fina ... hines.html
Copper Catcher

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:50 pm

How long until a street gang takes the entire machine in a flat-bed truck? That is a factor they don't have in Dubai! :?
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:30 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:How long until a street gang takes the entire machine in a flat-bed truck? That is a factor they don't have in Dubai! :?

Why would you put it in an unsecure location? I'm thinking high class hotel lobbies and airports make great locations
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:33 pm

I wonder how reasonable the premiums are? It said that the prices are updated every 10 minutes in the machine. Wonder if someone would figure out a way to cheat the machine.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Delawhere Jack » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:09 pm

Tungsten.....? And if so, what recourse due you have?
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:20 pm

AGgressive Metal wrote:How long until a street gang takes the entire machine in a flat-bed truck? That is a factor they don't have in Dubai! :?

In Dubai, they cut off the hands of the theives. I wonder if that would work here. :o
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Dumpster Diver » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:30 pm

I would be a total junkie to this machine. Ridiculous premiums and all- I'd buy the gram bars weekly.

You can't put a price on instant gratification. ;)
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Anyone here ever loose their money to a Coke machine, or have their Andy Capp hot fries corkscrew off the platform only to get held up forever halfway down? :x

Don't trust the machine.......buy your gold and slim jims from a reputable human source :P
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby twentybux » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Anyone here ever loose their money to a Coke machine, or have their Andy Capp hot fries corkscrew off the platform only to get held up forever halfway down? :x

Don't trust the machine.......buy your gold and slim jims from a reputable human source :P

Can I hear an AMEN from the Choir? AMEN!!!!! Human source is the only way to go. Still would be fun to watch a yuppie put in some FRN's and the machine fails to register them as appropriate $$$$. Ha! :lol:
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Anyone here ever loose their money to a Coke machine, or have their Andy Capp hot fries corkscrew off the platform only to get held up forever halfway down? :x

A machine like this would be built to a much higher standard than a machine dispensing 55 cent snack foods.
natsb88

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:36 am

natsb88 wrote:

A machine like this would be built to a much higher standard than a machine dispensing 55 cent snack foods.

Oh, Without a doubt..... However, do you think it might still make a mistake or will it be perfect? :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby natsb88 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:59 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
natsb88 wrote:

Oh, Without a doubt..... However, do you think it might still make a mistake or will it be perfect? :)

I haven't seen one in person so I don't know how well they are actually made, but it certainly *could* be made darn near perfect. These are dispensing very consistent goods, not different shaped containers or items like bagged food that have a tendency to get stuck. They are not designed as a universal machine with large screws you can stick anything into, but rather they are designed specifically for carded gold bars, so they can have much more specialized (and therefore reliable) mechanisms.

With a machine like this, the expectation of both the buyer and seller is that it will work perfectly every time (the seller could take a hit from a mistake just as easily as the buyer could...one wrong bar dispensed, or one doubled dispense, and there goes any profit from the last 50 transactions). So the incentive is there to invest in better precision and more reliable components.

The machine also uses a computer system to adjust pricing something like every 20 minutes, and to process credit cards. There is no doubt a simple feedback system can also be incorporated to verify that the correct product was dispensed before it is presented to the customer (weight, for instance, would be very easy to check).

Not having seen one I can't say how reliable they currently are, but being a mechanical engineering that likes to design this kind of stuff, I can say how reliable they could be. Don't think of them as vending machines in the typical sense, think of them as a hard money version of an ATM. Those deal with large amounts of cash, are very widely used, and have proven to be acceptably reliable, so I don't see why this would be any different.
natsb88

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:41 am

I'll be heading to Vegas in November so I'll let you know if I see one! :D

If I do you, can bet I'll be making a purchase!!! :P
Copper Catcher

Postby SteelCityCopper » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:58 am

I can't really think of a time when an ATM spit out an extra $20 for me or the reverse where I didn't receive anything. Premiums is the bigger question in my mind as these machines, repairmen, and stockers all cost $$ and you can bet those costs will be built into the premiums.
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:47 am

Only the poorly informed or some guy trying to impress his wife or girlfriend is going to buy from this source. If other entrepreneurs were smart they would post signs or stickers nearby proclaiming where to go to get a better deal.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:41 pm

This is a great video of the machine at the tradeshow!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g4bPHSDCDI
Copper Catcher

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals