US Mint Announces 33% Premium Increase on SAEs!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

US Mint Announces 33% Premium Increase on SAEs!

Postby Ardent Listener » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Thursday, 30 September 2010 14:01 US Mint Announces 33% Price Increase on Silver American Eagle Premiums!
Written by Tarek Saab font size decrease font size increase font size Print E-mail Be the first to comment!
Rate this item
12345(1 Vote)BREAKING NEWS: The United States Mint has officially raised their wholesale pricing above spot on American Silver Eagles to all authorized dealers from $1.50 to $2.00, an increase of a whopping 33%. This news comes on the heels of a significant silver spot price rally over the last month to a new thirty year record over $22 per ounce. The impact of this news is significant and has already affected dealer pricing across the country within hours, as prices on Silver American Eagles have jumped over $0.50/oz industry wide.

The year 2010 will go down as a record year for Silver Eagle sales, as the United States Mint has already sold more than 25 million coins year-to-date. See chart below:
http://www.trustedbullion.com/blog/item ... can-eagles
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Re: US Mint Announces 33% Premium Increase on SAEs!

Postby Country » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:34 pm

YUP.... Most have raised their sell price by 50c already. However, I noticed that the SELL price went up by 50c, but the dealer BUY price didn't budge. The dealer spread widens somewhat. :?

Getting too expensive to buy SILVER via ASEs. Maybe brand new rounds in tubes at spot+75c would be the far better choice.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Beau » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:56 pm

This and the price of silver may end it for some people, since they can`t keep up their sets.
Maybe we may see more on the Buy It Now here on the board.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:11 pm

This is clever....very clever. This will curb demand and maintain overall revenue for the mint.

BTW......I do not own even one ASE......take a guess why?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Ardent Listener » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:49 pm

I leaned towards Canadian Maples before but now I'll go with them for sure if I want a government monetary silver bullion coin.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby Country » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:56 pm

Ardent Listener wrote:I leaned towards Canadian Maples before but now I'll go with them for sure if I want a government monetary silver bullion coin.

Are the SILVER Maples still prone to have the Milk spots or have the Canadians resolved this problem with the newly minted coins?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby fb101 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:22 pm

I need just a few more ASEs to complete a set; Never worried about it before, but I'm sooooo close.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby aristobolus » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:56 pm

What I like about the Maples is that they have a face value of five dollars vs. One dollar for the SAE; just in case...
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby rickygee » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:10 pm

I really like ASE's, but come on!

Think the Maple reverse is stunning...but I hate those milk spots, BTW, so far no milk spots on my 2011 Silver Wolves.

So what about Philharmonics? I really love that coin. No milk spots on mine so far. This could be my default government issued bullion round.

What say you?
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby Slaphot » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:19 am

I've been waiting for an increase on the premiums. I will expect the premiums to go higher and higher as silver increases.
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:35 pm

The fact that they don't sell direct to the public is annoying. They have the infrastructure there to sell the other products they they have in their catalog. If there were a 20 coin min that would weed out alot of people looking for one or two and bring down premiums.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:55 pm

aristobolus wrote:What I like about the Maples is that they have a face value of five dollars vs. One dollar for the SAE; just in case...

That's something I've thought about too. I like SAEs, but will now split mine bullion coins among Maples, Phils and a few of the various Australian silver.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Ardent Listener » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Having a $5 floor on Maples can't hurt. No, it can't hurt at all. But talk about deflation if we were to ever need it.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby Country » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:01 pm

LOOK OUT - MAPLE LOVERS!!! :o

Just got an email from APMEX that the Canadians are about to raise the premiums on Maples..... :shock:
Country
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals