Just how many silver quarters are in circulation?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Just how many silver quarters are in circulation?

Postby Number21 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:28 am

I'm mostly a penny sorter but I remember finding a 1963 quarter in my cupholder a few months ago. I knew it had some silver content but it was really circulated and at the time I thought not worth keeping. Now I'm kinda pissed that I spent it after looking at what the really used ones are going for on ebay! :roll:

So, I know they can be found 'out in the wild', I wasn't even looking for that one. I'm curious just how common they are in circulation now? I hear a lot of talk about halves but not so much quarters. If I buy a box of quarters am I likely to find one or two? How many quarters normally comes in a "box" from the bank?
"I wouldn't give nickel for another buck"
Number21
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Just how many silver quarters are in circulation?

Postby jasmatk » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:39 am

you might find 1-2 per couple boxes or find nothing its all luck.If your gonna buy a box buy 2 and double your chances maybe try dimes or halves also and see whats good in your area
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Just how many silver quarters are in circulation?

Postby psi » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:45 am

A box of quarters is $500 or 2000 coins. I have tried buying boxes a few times but no success with silver, whereas dimes seem to average out to about 1 per 1000 coins searched in my area and in other places going by what people post. I'm in Canada and halves are nearly impossible to find at banks here. Quarters are large and circulate a lot, making it more likely that a silver quarter might be noticed and pulled from circulation sooner than a silver dime would. In a silver rich area though you never know, if you have found one already that's a good sign.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals