Apmex swamped with sellers

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Apmex swamped with sellers

Postby inflationhawk » Thu May 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Interesting data point. Earlier this week I sold some silver to Apmex taking advantage of them paying 2.50 over spot on ASEs. I bought gold with the proceeds. Today, I get this letter:

"Thank you for the recent Purchase Order xxxxxxxx and shipment of product. Due to unprecedented volumes and unforeseen obstacles within the postal and delivery systems, your order processing may be delayed. Please allow 5-7 days once your package arrives at our facility for your package to be fully processed and payment submitted.

Your business is very important to us. We are proactively implementing procedures to reduce any and all delays. Our Receiving Department is working extra hours, 7 days a week in an effort to reduce processing times. As always, you will receive an email confirmation from our Receiving Department once your package has been checked in as well as again when your payment is issued.

We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. We look forward to future opportunities to transact and to remain your precious metals dealer of choice.

Sincerely,
Purchasing Department"
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Apmex swamped with sellers

Postby 97guns » Thu May 05, 2011 5:31 pm

but they have to be selling the crap out of it right now too
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby HelloMeteor » Thu May 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Got the same message for my two sales. I got rid of almost all of my silver. A bit at $48, and all but around 10% of it at $42. I almost feel bad for them. They don't even have my silver yet and it's not worth what they paid.
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Morsecode » Thu May 05, 2011 9:13 pm

I was looking to buy a few rolls of eagles from them, but they're asking $6.70 over spot. Seems high.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby inflationhawk » Thu May 05, 2011 9:19 pm

They've gone from a shortage of supply where they were willing to pay $3 over spot to now being backed up with new supply coming in and dropping their buy price to $2 over spot. I would think the next step would be to lower the premiums on the selling price, but that remains to be seen. You could try bullion direct's nucleo exchange. I have sold on their before, but I've never bought.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hejira11 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:27 am

I wouldn't feel too bad for them. They are making a good deal of money on all the 2011 ATB 2 coin sets they sold at TOP dollar. Mine is still not here, but it's status has been updated to "Vault B." Had the previous status been, say, Vault A or Vault C, I may find more comfort in knowing my silver has made it into Vault B. As it stands now, I am left with a picture of my silver order sitting next to The Arc of the Covenent in a huge warehouse ala Indiana Jones.
Last edited by hejira11 on Fri May 06, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby franklin » Fri May 06, 2011 8:41 am

Last night they had ASE monster boxes with an average of $54 per coin. I don't think they got the memo.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby moneydog » Fri May 06, 2011 1:55 pm

inflationhawk wrote:They've gone from a shortage of supply where they were willing to pay $3 over spot to now being backed up with new supply coming in and dropping their buy price to $2 over spot. I would think the next step would be to lower the premiums on the selling price, but that remains to be seen. You could try bullion direct's nucleo exchange. I have sold on their before, but I've never bought.

ive bought and sold on bullion direct nucleo exchange its good 8-)
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby fasTT » Fri May 06, 2011 8:32 pm

Check out Spotmex.

Regardless, big dealers like Apmex do not really care if the price moves up or down, they hedge everything to lock in a margin. Either direction in pricing, they make money if they can forecast the demand well.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals