Colorized ASE's

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Colorized ASE's

Postby merchoarder » Thu May 05, 2011 9:36 pm

This was brought up in kidman232's thread and I thought it was an interesting subject. (No intent to hijack a thread) Anyway, I have a few of these and always though they were stupid. I think fusscharles and 68camaro say nail polish remover does the trick in kidmans thread. The question is does removing color affect value? Does it negatively affect the coin in any way? Does it enhance the coin? If not why do it? Interested in your thoughts as I always thought colorizing an ASE was stupid but never really considered removing the color.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Colorized ASE's

Postby kidman232 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:53 pm

personally the color never really bothered me, but I think more collectors prefer them not colorized than those that do. So if there ever comes a time to move them, I think it would be in the sellers best interest to remove the paint. I removed the paint of mine and have no regrets about it.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby fusscharles » Fri May 06, 2011 10:24 pm

colorization bothers me... It should be reserved and squired away by those watching infomercials at 2:00am in a snuggie, and eating high fructose candies, with kids running around outside of the trailer torching tires in the front, gravel drive way, and husband passed out on the front porch. When I pick up a colorized eagle and and Elvis stares me back at the face, I want to grab the nearest bottle of sterno and bread and leave the bottle of 4th growth bordeax untouched on the counter. What is a double knuckle wine key for anyway?

Merchoarder, I am just joking, I really don't care if it has color - cause im going to nail polish remove it away. I usually get it at a disco, so I like them a little more than regular circ eagles.
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Investin Cents » Fri May 06, 2011 11:11 pm

I actually like to see colors on my ASE's, 90% & 40% halves, and the 40% Ikes. I am surprised when I can pick them up for the same as spot prices. I think they could command a small premium, especially when done nicely. Silver is nice but the monotone color leaves something to be desired. I like the Aussie Kookaburra silver bullion coins - they have the differing textures of the silver on it - is it matte and proof??? Whatever it is called, it makes a nice contrast and brings out the design better. So I guess eye-appeal is important to me.

To each his/her own! :P
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - JFK - 1962

Current book: American Values - RFK Jr.; Favorite website (other than Realcent): Zerohedge.com; Favorite metals in order: Ag, Au, Pt, CuZn, CuZnSn, Cu, Ni, Al, CuNi and of course Pb encased in Cu [in various forms and sizes :)]
Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RxForPain » Fri May 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Don't care for the color myself. Some nail polish remover and a few Q-Tips does the trick. I wrapped a few that I had in a paper towel soaked in nail polish remover for about 5 minutes and then rubbed it with the Q-Tip to remove the decal. It was quick and easy with no signs or marks on the ASE.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby sparechange » Sat May 07, 2011 9:12 am

[quote="fusscharles"]colorization bothers me... It should be reserved and squired away by those watching infomercials at 2:00am in a snuggie, and eating high fructose candies, with kids running around outside of the trailer torching tires in the front, gravel drive way, and husband passed out on the front porch. When I pick up a colorized eagle and and Elvis stares me back at the face, I want to grab the nearest bottle of sterno and bread and leave the bottle of 4th growth bordeax untouched on the counter. What is a double knuckle wine key for anyway?

Merchoarder, I am just joking, I really don't care if it has color - cause im going to nail polish remove it away. I usually get it at a disco, so I like them a little more than regular circ eagles.[/quote

Some guy used to live in a trailer that had some "get rich quick scheme" that had to do with painting money. He's moved now, something about making millions. :shock:
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby timmus0382 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:34 am

I get the colored ones for $2-$3 over spot because they are not "BU's" the BU's are usually $4-$6 over spot so just buy them and take off the color and you have made yourself a few dollars on each one. You just have to let them sit in the remover for a while and make sure you get it all off. It might take a couple trys to get it all off. I use a loop after to make sure I got in all the little tiny spaces. Most times the hardest spot to get the paint off of is the date so make sure you get that spot good. I always find it funny that the price of the ASE actually goes down when someone puts color on them, you would think it would be the other way around.
Name me one investment where you gain at least 50% the second you purchase it and never have a chance to lose the initial investment.
timmus0382
Penny Pincher Member

Postby merchoarder » Sun May 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Thank you all for the helpful replies. Fusscharles, your post was hilarious! Thanks for the laugh. I have yet to try and remove the color from any of mine but I'm confident that I now know how. It also interesting that these can be purchased with less of premium, good to know. I agree with Investin Cents on the Australian coins. I picked up a Koala half ounce a while back and I love the contrast between the "frosted" and "polished." Just something about the colors I find cheesy.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals