large banks vs smaller banks

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

large banks vs smaller banks

Postby rsk1963 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:10 am

I often use credit unions as a place to pick up 40% & 90%, in 10 months I've got 11 40% & 8 90% (gone through about 1000 1/2s, they actually save their 1/2's for me. While I've gone to larger banks and sorted through 1000's of 1/2s and the best that I've done is 2 40%'s & 3 90%'s. Do others have the same amount of success using larger banks? Any logic as to why the smaller bank has outperformed for me? Curious to hear other's stories.

happy hunting cheers

http://youtu.be/xSLlZh9yelk
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Re: large banks vs smaller banks

Postby inflationhawk » Mon May 09, 2011 9:55 am

My guess would be that older customers have coins that have been sitting around for years and these older customers prefer the small banks that focus on one-on-one communication and personal relationships. The larger banks treat customers like cattle because they serve so many and are pressured by management. These larger institutions probably have more high volume clients/merchants that turn coins more quickly and want to deal with the low cost provider and don't care so much for personal interaction with bank employees...get in get out.

In raw numbers, there probably are more 40% and 90% coins at the larger institutions, but in terms of PERCENTAGE, you'll probably have better luck seeing the silver from the smaller banks.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Smaller banks can't afford or don't want to pay the fees invovled with sending coin in therefore causing the coins to sit around a long time. This is especailly true for half dollars since they don't actively circulate.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon May 09, 2011 12:21 pm

i have better luck in the older parts of town vs newer suburbs.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rsk1963 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:10 am

Right on, thanks very much for the perspectives.

Yes older parts of towns are easier to score coins.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals