Slabbing ATB 5 oz coin

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Slabbing ATB 5 oz coin

Postby Spikeanator6982 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:37 pm

How would I go about sending in a coin to PCGS to grade. I just got my ATB 5 oz P mint coin and I would like to get it slabbed. What service level would it go for? Seems like Economy, Modern, or special issue could be used, with the added over sized holder fee. Anyone done/doing this or just over all know how it works? I see if your a member with free vouchers, you must send them all at once and be under the same type of submission. Do they have to be the same coin, or could I send say a couple franklin halves and the 5 oz coin?
Spikeanator6982
Penny Collector Member

Re: Slabbing ATB 5 oz coin

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue May 10, 2011 10:11 pm

Spikeanator6982 wrote:How would I go about sending in a coin to PCGS to grade. I just got my ATB 5 oz P mint coin and I would like to get it slabbed. What service level would it go for? Seems like Economy, Modern, or special issue could be used, with the added over sized holder fee. Anyone done/doing this or just over all know how it works? I see if your a member with free vouchers, you must send them all at once and be under the same type of submission. Do they have to be the same coin, or could I send say a couple franklin halves and the 5 oz coin?

expect to pay $74.95-$92.95 to get one of them in PCGS plastic. :o

regular service $30 + large holder $20 + first strike $18 (the only optional item) + handeling fee $8 + Return shipping $16.95

This dosen't count the cost to you to ship them out to PCGS.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue May 10, 2011 10:13 pm

Not worth it.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue May 10, 2011 10:14 pm

What a racket!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:Not worth it.

maybe......but...I want to see the population report before I decide that just yet. ;)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Spikeanator6982 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:27 pm

But it could be sent as part of the 4 or 8 that are included in the PCGS membership right? From what I understand those are free right or just pay shipping?
Spikeanator6982
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Spikeanator6982 wrote:But it could be sent as part of the 4 or 8 that are included in the PCGS membership right? From what I understand those are free right or just pay shipping?

yes and no.

the Free voucher covers the $30 submission fee for normal sized us an world coins. I am sure they will still charge for the other stuff (large holder)...so the new total is $44.95

Don't forget you need to use all 4 or 8 free submissions at the same time or you loose unused vouchers.

Sorry to play Debie Downer on this one.....just showing the true cost as best as I can.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue May 10, 2011 10:43 pm

BTW I have 47 UNC morgans at PCGS right now and grading fees for these 3 lots cost me a little more than a grand.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Spikeanator6982 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:48 pm

no Debie downer at all, I want real information.

their site says."* Voucher offer is not valid for Mint Errors, Special Issues, First Strike fees, Variety Attribution fees or coins valued over $3,000" But I suppose they will say the large holder isn't included, Idk, I don't think $45 is too bad for each coin.
Spikeanator6982
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals