Decisions...Decisions

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Decisions...Decisions

Postby OtusLotus » Fri May 20, 2011 6:20 pm

I asked one of my co-workers if he could buy me the ASE for $32.50, as posted earlier...

He did in fact buy it, and when it came in the mail, he said he was going to keep it. I was a little bummed out as I thought he was buying it for me. He then offered me to sell a Morgan for $25.

He brought the Morgan to work today, but a co-worker made a stink that I was trying to scam him...so he took the coin back ans said that he would sell me the original ASE for $32.50.

I really don't care, since all I want is silver, but I told him that I would post this scenario here, introduced him to the website, and we both agreed that we would go along with whatever the majority said.... So here's the question....

IF YOU WERE HIM.. WOULD YOU SELL ME THE ASE FOR $32.50 or THE MORGAN FOR $25?
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Decisions...Decisions

Postby slickeast » Fri May 20, 2011 6:23 pm

Offer to buy both at melt.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby fasteddy » Fri May 20, 2011 6:31 pm

yes I would honor the first transaction...and go with the second...but it is not worth the dissent if it will cause future issues.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:22 pm

It's really a toss up and depends on which coin you prefer. But if I had to pick and pretend I was the one selling, I would probably sell the ASE for $32.50 unless the Morgan was a slick, then I'd sell the slick. Assuming common dates/condition?
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri May 20, 2011 11:03 pm

I'd say if he told you he'd buy the ASE for you then he should sell it to you and be a man of his word. You should be willing to do him a favor in return at some point, as friends do for each other. If it was me I'd also give him a tip though and buy him a coffee or something for his effort.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Spikeanator6982 » Fri May 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Well, if he said he would buy it for you, thats what should be done, but I think you could give him something for the hassle(a couple bucks more or w/e) BUT that should have pry been discussed when he first said he would do it/when you asked him to.

as to if he wants to sell the morgan/ you want to buy..thats ur guy's choice
Spikeanator6982
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Fri May 20, 2011 11:13 pm

1st... I'd tell the 3rd party person to mind their own business. I get SOOOOOOO sick of EVERYONE calling everything a SCAM just because someone sells something of value for less than it's avg. going rate. If I want to sell a morgan or whatever I want for however much I want... I say WHO CARES! YOU don't like it... then mind your business!!!! I've seen SOOO many people (even on this website) who get pissed and call other folks scammers over ANYTHING! For instance... all of those who tore the guy on e-bay selling unsearched rolls of halves for like $15. WHO DOES ANYONE think they are to tell this guy off or call him a scammer? You don't like it... move on! I do agree that there are MANY scammers out there... but the difference is this... If you lie... you are a scammer. If you don't... then your in America and have the right to...

OK... SORRY BOUT THAT! Soap box. Anyhow... print that out and give it to your noisy piss ant ACLU co-worker and buy the Eagle. Eagles always have a mark up. Technically you are already buying those coins for near melt... the Eagle is slightly under and has a higher markup... and it was your original agreement. If he/she doesn't like it... be nice about it... and move on. I wouldn't consider that person a friend really.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby justoneguy » Sat May 21, 2011 12:49 am

he should sell you the ASE for $32.50. as a favor to you .
you returned a favor to him, by introducing him to this site,
where here can learn what real money is and the value of PM's.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Somnophore » Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 am

What I don't like is people quoting how much people 'could' get on Ebay.

1 it's a hassle for people to sell on eBay and post etc, so if you're getting cash it saves hassle you shots expect a bit less.

2 eBay and paypal fees are around 15% so if you're buying cash You can pay 15-20% less and they'd still be getting what they would get off eBay.

I hate people who have no part in a deal poking their nose in.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ScottyTX » Sun May 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Pennybug wrote: I've seen SOOO many people (even on this website) who get pissed and call other folks scammers over ANYTHING! For instance... all of those who tore the guy on e-bay selling unsearched rolls of halves for like $15. WHO DOES ANYONE think they are to tell this guy off or call him a scammer? You don't like it... move on! I do agree that there are MANY scammers out there... but the difference is this... If you lie... you are a scammer. If you don't... then your in America and have the right to...

Didn't your Mamma ever teach you not telling the whole truth is lieing. Umm how about this, I have a bag of Natural Gas producing shale outside my door right now. It is proven to have XXXX units of natural gas in it per barrel of shale drilled. It could be worth as much as 5,000 dollars per bag if your lucky. I'll sell it right now for 20.00 plus shipping..... Your probably smart enough to figure it out and know I'm FOS but.... there are many others that "might" fall for this BS or some other hair brained scheme. All I would have to do is put in a CO2 cartridge every 100 bags and I'm "not telling a lie" it's natural gas :). Heck even the government puts the odds on lottery tickets. You may be right that taking advantage of the uninformed "is the America way" but thats whats wrong with this country too many people with this mentality IMHO. Its simply called misrepresenting the truth. What if the seller of those halves had actually mentioned that you are paying a 5.00 premium + shipping for a 1 in 1000 chance of making 2-8.00 wow breath takely honest there. Well if people are willing to buy it then I say its fair game.....BS. Anyways thats my soap box there, its all said in good humor and not meant to stir up too much controversy but I do think its the reason why many get upset with people like this guy.

Back on topic, the "right thing to do" is for your buddy to sell the ASE at whatever the pre-agreement price was. Like others have said he was doing you a favor so I personally would not press the issue to much but I would have no problem selling it for 32.50 if I agreed to purchase it for you.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Sun May 22, 2011 6:56 pm

Spikeanator6982 wrote:Well, if he said he would buy it for you, thats what should be done, but I think you could give him something for the hassle(a couple bucks more or w/e) BUT that should have pry been discussed when he first said he would do it/when you asked him to.

as to if he wants to sell the morgan/ you want to buy..thats ur guy's choice

I agree. You should give him $34.50 for the ASE. You are still getting a nice deal and no one can accuse you of scamming him. Also you can suggest that he get a friend/family to buy a $32.50 ASE for him.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby davycoppitt » Sun May 22, 2011 7:26 pm

If he was a good friend of mine I would try to talk him into keeping both of them and explain why he should be doing so? They could be a good start to a collection.
davycoppitt
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennybug » Sun May 22, 2011 11:29 pm

ScottyTX wrote:
Pennybug wrote: I've seen SOOO many people (even on this website) who get pissed and call other folks scammers over ANYTHING! For instance... all of those who tore the guy on e-bay selling unsearched rolls of halves for like $15. WHO DOES ANYONE think they are to tell this guy off or call him a scammer? You don't like it... move on! I do agree that there are MANY scammers out there... but the difference is this... If you lie... you are a scammer. If you don't... then your in America and have the right to...

Didn't your Mamma ever teach you not telling the whole truth is lieing. Umm how about this, I have a bag of Natural Gas producing shale outside my door right now. It is proven to have XXXX units of natural gas in it per barrel of shale drilled. It could be worth as much as 5,000 dollars per bag if your lucky. I'll sell it right now for 20.00 plus shipping..... Your probably smart enough to figure it out and know I'm FOS but.... there are many others that "might" fall for this BS or some other hair brained scheme. All I would have to do is put in a CO2 cartridge every 100 bags and I'm "not telling a lie" it's natural gas :). Heck even the government puts the odds on lottery tickets. You may be right that taking advantage of the uninformed "is the America way" but thats whats wrong with this country too many people with this mentality IMHO. Its simply called misrepresenting the truth. What if the seller of those halves had actually mentioned that you are paying a 5.00 premium + shipping for a 1 in 1000 chance of making 2-8.00 wow breath takely honest there. Well if people are willing to buy it then I say its fair game.....BS. Anyways thats my soap box there, its all said in good humor and not meant to stir up too much controversy but I do think its the reason why many get upset with people like this guy.

Back on topic, the "right thing to do" is for your buddy to sell the ASE at whatever the pre-agreement price was. Like others have said he was doing you a favor so I personally would not press the issue to much but I would have no problem selling it for 32.50 if I agreed to purchase it for you.

So then... what is the solution? The way I see it... there are only a few choices (let's use the .50 CWR e-bay case as the example)....

1) The gov't needs to step in and regulate him.
2) We the people need to be vigilant and need to stop him somehow on behalf of the ignorant.
3) We need to educate ourselves and become aware of individuals out there and do our homework prior to making ANY purchase. (and educate others along the way).

Also... you may see the dude selling unsearched rolls as taking advantage... I may see it as a good deal (its a very subjective point). I'll agree with you on ONE point you made though... Lieing is lieing... However... in the example of the coin seller on e-bay that sooooo many people here hammered... Let's for the sake of argument say that he WAS telling the truth. Which one of the 3 choices do you see being made regarding him (or a 4th if you wish... although it will fall into one of the 3 categories ultimately). Last thing... I REALLY hope that you'd call the gov't a MAJOR scammer with the whole lottery thing since the stats u used for the coin seller are MUCH better than the lottery (even though he didn't post his odds and the govt does... I don't see how that makes it better).
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon May 23, 2011 12:51 am

OtusLotus wrote:I asked one of my co-workers if he could buy me the ASE for $32.50, as posted earlier...

He did in fact buy it, and when it came in the mail, he said he was going to keep it. I was a little bummed out as I thought he was buying it for me. He then offered me to sell a Morgan for $25.

He brought the Morgan to work today, but a co-worker made a stink that I was trying to scam him...so he took the coin back ans said that he would sell me the original ASE for $32.50.

I really don't care, since all I want is silver, but I told him that I would post this scenario here, introduced him to the website, and we both agreed that we would go along with whatever the majority said.... So here's the question....

IF YOU WERE HIM.. WOULD YOU SELL ME THE ASE FOR $32.50 or THE MORGAN FOR $25?

Offer to buy both. The ASE at #32.50 & the Morgan at $25.00. (IF that is what you truly agreed to.) How bad do you want this guys friendship? Did he really agree to buy it for you? Or, is this a misunderstanding? Ask him what he is comfortable with and work out a solution.

Buddy-buddy deals sometimes go sour. Especially when it is all verbal. People have selective memories and it is almost always in their favor. That is human nature. Be better prepared for it next time. Once a deal is made, go over it one last time and say something like: "Friend, I just want to make sure you & I understand the same thing. We are agreeing to your buying an ASE for me at $32.50, right?" And then have your friend say it back to you. If he says it with his own words, he will remember it better.

Tell the nosy office worker to mind his own f++king business. Personally, I have learned to avoid such transactions. Too many people know you have PM's.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals