Longines wittnaur?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Longines wittnaur?

Postby fusscharles » Mon May 23, 2011 8:31 am

Someone is trying to sell me some preidential medals... Sterling medal with adams, monroe and hoover... I was going to offer just below melt.... Any info or background on this profucer will help!
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Longines wittnaur?

Postby merchoarder » Mon May 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Don't know too much but Longines Wittnaur was a watchmaker. Sometime in the '40's Longines sponsored a radio show "Longines Symphonette." Many sets of medals were produced to promote the radio show and the watch company. They were produced in sterling and .999 which should be indicated on the rim. I have no idea if they have collector value or how many were produced. In my book any silver you can get below spot is always a solid buy. I'm sure Google could tell you more.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Longines wittnaur?

Postby Robarons » Mon May 23, 2011 4:08 pm

I am an avid watch collecter and Longines-Wittnauer (not wittnaur) is a very popular and high grade swiss watches.

Longines and wittnauer were seperate companies until they merged sometime in the 1930'-1950's. They make some high grade watches (and they still do today) and some pricey ones. I have owned some 14k and sterling watches from this company in the past.

This company has a worldwide reputation for its good quality, so I would not question its name or them making it. But be sure to go by the old standbys of checking for the worlds 'sterling' or .999 or whatever on the rounds or having the paper work to prove it.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals