Silver Dollars Question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Dollars Question

Postby marine70 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:30 pm

What is the going price for circulated morgans and peace dollars. I know what coinflation lists,and I made an offer of $24 each am I being fair to the seller?
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Re: Silver Dollars Question

Postby Pennybug » Thu May 26, 2011 11:21 pm

Well... I sure haven't seen any going for that! Maybe for culls or flats... but that's about it. Don't get me wrong... I don't think that's a rip off or a scam by any means... and I'd venture to say that's probably about what dealers are paying for them (hence the lack of a scam or unfair price). If I could pick them up for that.. I'd drop a few G's right now! I think it's fair... low... but fair. If they will take your offer... I'd move on it with full force and a clear conscious! Best o'luck! Honestly... I'd feel worse about those 40 40%'ers I got from the bank yesterday for $20. But... then again... I don't really feel bad for banks either.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby RR GUY » Thu May 26, 2011 11:38 pm

$27-29 is the going rate for average Peace/Morgans. The real "juice" however is to spend a dollar or two more and get some AU/BU coins. I just bought a role of common date BU 1922 Peace dollars for $640, which I thought was a great deal. In my opinion the Peace Dollar is highy under owned and collected. So many buyers offering huge premiums for ASEs and plain old bullion bars, when they can have Peace dollars in uncirculated condition for much less premium. Following the 1980 "big melt" it is estimated that there are only 100-125MM peace dollars left. One article recently said that someone on the west coast was trying to corner the market on Morgan dollars and was looking to acquire about 1MM coins. It would be far easier to corner the market for Peace dollars as if one were to remove 1MM-2MM coins from supply, this would raise premiums greatly.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri May 27, 2011 8:53 am

There are lots of BU Morgan and Peace rolls available on ebay... but I don't bid on them for fear of winding up with Chinese Cartwheels :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby marine70 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks guys I can always rely on the good people on realcent to give an honest assumption. Thanks again I value your knowledge.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby zerocd » Sat May 28, 2011 5:46 am

I like tubes of BU silver dollars and each year only find them available at our local annual coin show. I pick up BU Morgans from late 1800's for around $30 depending on date. I stick with these rather than common 1921's.

My regular guy at the show and the only guy I could find selling tubes told me he has a hard time replacing them for less than $30.

You can get culls, slicks and mid range for less but the BU tubes will always be in demand.
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby marine70 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks zerocd I appreciate your response take care.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals