Do you bother searching marked rolls?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Do you bother searching marked rolls?

Postby SwampFox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:20 am

I went by a new bank the other day to check for halves, and they had a ton of them someone had brought in. Seeing as that usually means I found someone's dump bank, I only purchased $200 worth to get a representative sample. Sure enough, all but 1 were marked with either an X or 'Non-Silver Kennedys', or worse, BWRs with the ends folded over. The one roll with no markings produced 3 40%ers, so I went ahead and checked those rolls with markings. I found another 3 40%ers in the remaining rolls. Later in the week, I went back to get the rest of their halves (another $220 worth) which did not produce any until I reached one of the last rolls, which contained 8 40%ers. This roll was clearly marked "Non-Silver Kennedys". Maybe some people believe 65-70 is silverplate :?:

(First post by the way)
SwampFox

Re: Do you bother searching marked rolls?

Postby scrapper2010 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:30 am

I always search the marked rolls I get just in case. I think I remember getting some silver from some marked rolls one time. Welcome to the forum BTW.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:20 am

Welcome and good finds. I searched several thousand dollars of halves and didn't find doodly squat. I gave up on halves (and quarters) and only search dimes now. I get one good dime about every three $250 boxes.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:54 am

I did a thread on this site a few months back trying to get us all on a standard marking that way we could at least identify the realcenters who we/I was pretty sure knew their silver. The idea was that if I ever saw a standard mark... I'd know that roll was checked by someone who knew their stuff. Didn't really go anywhere though. Organizing anyone to do anything is kinda like hurding cats. :D I'll watch this thread... maybe we need to revisit this idea. I've been coming across marked rolls recently too with the same results as described here.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby kidman232 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 pm

why not write realcent on the side of the roll. lets any local members who u might compete with know that you searched the roll already, and it might also drive up site traffic when other non member searchers look up realcent when they keep seeing it on rolls of coins
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby amalekidad » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:32 pm

Depends on the mark! I still check evry roll. I like the ones marked 1964.
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby knibloe » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Ihave found someones dump before and it yielded a few 40% halves. They are worth searching in my opinion.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:55 pm

knibloe wrote:Ihave found someones dump before and it yielded a few 40% halves. They are worth searching in my opinion.

Reminds of the time a few years ago I did a bank search drive and stopped in one bank with a bitter-acting teller. I asked for rolls of half dollars and she asked how many I'd like and I said I guess $50 worth, not knowing if they would have skunk rolls or not. She was not very pleasant about it. Now, I went out to the car and opened them with my wife and a few 40% halves were found in the lot. Immediately got back out of the car and went back into the bank and asked if I could buy more. Teller promptly told me that was all she had. I felt she figured out I saw something in those rolls and maybe decided to hold back. This was a remote area where people were apt to roll search IMHO to get a few extra dollars to get by with. And silver spot price was about $15/oz too at the time. To this day, when I stop in a new bank off my regular routes and ask for halves and they ask me how many, I'll offer to buy a box right off the top to see if they have a small amount or might have a good deal. Most banks are cautious to tell you how many half dollars they may have in stock and I don't know why they would be paranoid about something like that.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SwampFox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:01 pm

I do throw the BWRs with folded over ends back though - I don't like those odds, and they almost have to be re-rolled to be searched.
SwampFox

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals