The schadenfreude of losing an Ebay auction

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The schadenfreude of losing an Ebay auction

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:42 pm

Lost this auction and I bid a decent spot price target for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEDWX:IT

Four other ( 4!!!) outbid me and they must of not read the auction description carefully. Sorry if any of them are realcenters and are reading this but I am glad I lost the auction and someone was willing to pay over 50% over spot for the coins. This auction ended Tuesday and silver was around $35 then.

Why am I posting this? I needed to blow off some schadenfreude steam as I am having a crappy week and also as a PSA. Always read the auction descriptions. However, the seller did tip us off on how we can do our own version of 100 mil silver art bars. List silver coins in the auction with dates and omit the dates in the title for the clad ones. Do I think the seller did it purposely like that? Maybe. Who sells common clad coins like this and why would they, as the clad is worth spending at face value certainly?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: The schadenfreude of losing an Ebay auction

Postby theo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:19 am

Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee that whoever won this thought they were buying 5 silver coins. Although the seller clearly explains that the dimes are post-1964 on the auction page, the title is curiously vague. I think there is intent to defraud here. This guy should be reported.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:26 am

Yeah, if you were in a hurry bidding on last minute silver listings that were expiring (as I used to do) this one would have fooled me to. You sometimes take it for granted that if it's listed under silver, all the items would be silver as well. Reading the listing in its entirety would have prevented you from making that mistake... but sometimes you're in a hurry. Gets my vote as intentionally deceptive listing.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:35 am

theo wrote: I think there is intent to defraud here. This guy should be reported.

More schadenfreude? No, the buyer is gonna have to leave a positive feedback note or none at all if they get the coins safely intact. Always read the auction description. Blatant fraud like the 100 Peace dollars for $400 or ignorance like the silver 100 mil art bars can be worth heckling the seller for. I am glad someone got snagged on their snipe. OK, I am getting too happy about this auction. The buyer will be whole when silver hits $53 an ounce.

Years ago I got a lesson like this auction taught. I bought an ounce of silver coins for what I thought was under spot, at the time. I got a troy ounce of coins alright. Two 40% halves and two war nickels. I was ticked at myself for thinking it was an ounce of silver. No, the seller never stated that there was an ounce of silver in the title or description. Just a troy ounce of silver containing coins. I think I broke even on that auction when spot went over $28.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:40 am

beauanderos wrote:Yeah, if you were in a hurry bidding on last minute silver listings that were expiring (as I used to do) this one would have fooled me to. You sometimes take it for granted that if it's listed under silver, all the items would be silver as well. Reading the listing in its entirety would have prevented you from making that mistake... but sometimes you're in a hurry. Gets my vote as intentionally deceptive listing.

OK, probably deceptive by intentions but not really a gray area problem if you read the auction description. You folks understand that the winner has feedback of 881 and therefore should have been around the block with Ebay maybe? Even if my cheap thrill still has no merit, doesn't it feel good to be smarter than a sixth grader , lol? OK, cheap shot, but feedback does not always equate to Ebay wits.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:03 am

Nowhere does it say the dimes aren't silver, it just says they are from 1965, 1966, and 1967. It looks very intentionally deceptive to me.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Snake42 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:35 am

Very shady dealing.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:00 am

JerrySpringer wrote: More schadenfreude? No, the buyer is gonna have to leave a positive feedback

That's another problem with feebay nobody wants to leave negative feedback. If you get something that is not as described and cannot work it out with the seller leave negative feedback. That will stop them from continuing to screw people if they get a bunch of negative feedback. I see it all the time where someone will get screwed and they still leave positive feedback but in the comment section they will say item not as described, or got screwed, or do not buy from this guy, but they still leave positive feedback. So the sellers feedback rating stays at 100%.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXTim » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:45 pm

NDFarmer wrote:
JerrySpringer wrote: More schadenfreude? No, the buyer is gonna have to leave a positive feedback

That's another problem with feebay nobody wants to leave negative feedback. If you get something that is not as described and cannot work it out with the seller leave negative feedback. That will stop them from continuing to screw people if they get a bunch of negative feedback. I see it all the time where someone will get screwed and they still leave positive feedback but in the comment section they will say item not as described, or got screwed, or do not buy from this guy, but they still leave positive feedback. So the sellers feedback rating stays at 100%.

Exactly!
There is a lot of pressure to leave nothing but positive feedback but that sure creates less incentive to be a good seller.
I bought an item recently that never got shipped and had to open a case which I won.
To get that item off my list, I had to leave some sort of feedback. Negative of course.
That scumbag of a seller accused me of ruining his business because of that. I hope it's true, he doesn't need to be taking payment without deliverng the item.
Beer is my currency
TXTim
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals