Do you pay premium for more rare or older silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Do you pay premium for more rare or older silver?

Postby kidman232 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:01 am

wondering where people stand on here when it comes to silver bullion that fetches premium currently? Mostly talking about things such as 2001 kookaburra, pandas, 96 eagles etc. Do you think its worth paying $10-15 over spot for these and do you think they will hold their premium if silver was to really spike?
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: Do you pay premium for more rare or older silver?

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:45 am

no.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:35 pm

nope.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby OldPeddler » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:48 pm

No way
OldPeddler
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ardorlan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:13 pm

kidman232 wrote:wondering where people stand on here when it comes to silver bullion that fetches premium currently? Mostly talking about things such as 2001 kookaburra, pandas, 96 eagles etc. Do you think its worth paying $10-15 over spot for these and do you think they will hold their premium if silver was to really spike?

My wife has an 10 oz Engelhard bar, which has a serial number on it, like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-oz-ENGELHARD-BAR ... 973wt_1077

When I first saw it not knowing anything about Engelhard bar, I wanted to turn it into 10x 1 Oz coins. and then later I could sell a single coin, or 4 coins or whatever.

However I from looking at ebay auctions I see Engelhard bars are selling at least 20% above spot, So unless I think the silver market has peaked I am holding onto the Engelhard bar.

20% Above spot is a far different statement then 50$ above spot.

I feel that if the silver spot doubles the Engelhard bars would sell for double too (still selling at 20% over)

I wanted to add one last thing.
Things have to be in short supply and deserved if those things happen I could see it going up allot, Like maybe if they made Starterk silver coins or something.
Last edited by ardorlan on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ardorlan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:17 pm

That got me thinking so I did a quick search
This starterk coin sold for 50% above spot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1-OZ-999-SI ... 143wt_1077

If you bought something like that I could see it always being worth 50% above spot.
but I mean you could just buy 1.5 Oz of silver instead and get the same profit with less risk.

Hmm maybe I should sell my Engelhard bar and turn it into 12x 1oz rounds.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jerry278 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:38 pm

if it spikes no,

if it doesnt spike it will hold a 'percentage of the premium'. Probably not going to get the entire premium back. It's a *collector thing.
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals