Teaching them to fish

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Teaching them to fish

Postby twentybux » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Dropped by one of my source banks today to place an order and to see if the girls (tellers) had any good finds recently. Soon as I walk in the door the head teller asks me the value of halves from the 60's. I pull out my iphone and pull up coinflation to give her melt prices for the day. She informs me that a week ago a church bag had over $10 face value of halves from the 60's. Needless to say she snatched them up for her because in her words, "Why would I let real money lie around here (the bank)". I was proud of her that she had actually been listening to me over the years about funny money and real money. Would I have liked to grab that haul? You bet, however it feels good to help each other. In appreciation for the insight she found me a good looking' '34 buffalo nickel. One more educated in this big dumb world. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Teaching them to fish

Postby Somnophore » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Personally I would think it's entirely counterproductive to educate tellers but each to their own, I'm not stateside
So can't roll search anyway, although if I were I wouldn't want anyone else taking a piece of an ever shrinking pie.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:26 pm

I thank my lucky stars that most of the tellers I deal with have no interest in pulling silver,and a few will actually put it aside for me! Also have gotten a couple of old banknotes for face thru them.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:46 pm

thats a really good story...well done. You might have saved that girl.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:02 pm

The karma you've earned will make up for the lost coinage. 8-)
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:34 am

Still a wise move, TB. You can certainly add her to your network of bank insiders after your ongoing good advice.

Puts you in a position like the Godfather. You may call in your marker in a time of great need. The $270 or so that was diverted into her pockets will likely be a small price at some point in the future when you need a big time favor.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:41 am

Sorry, but cant give you props for educating tellers unless it was someone close to you. Tellers move from branch to branch around here and one educated teller will ruin the whole area eventually. But to each his own. If you feel like its something you should do thats up to you. I will never educate a teller unless they are related to me.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby amalekidad » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:57 am

I try to educate tellers so that they will continue to order coin for me and or accept my dumps. When they ask, “what are you doing with all of those half dollars?” I tell them that I’m looking for coins to go in my collection. When they ask, “what are the good ones?” I tell them about the NIFC coins. I tell them that I want all of the halves that they get in but I’m looking for a 1987-S and if they find one I will pay them a dollar for it. If it is a really good teller and they are really nice to me I will give them chocolate. That usually gives me a friend for life. That would be their life at that branch as they do move around a lot.
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:06 am

I don't think it's wise to tell any old teller who's clueless about silver any info, but seeing as how they knew that they were worth something I don't see the harm. In fact I ran into something similair yesterday while picking up dimes. I asked the teller if she had any halves and she said "I've got one, but it's clad." She then said that she'd worked at the bank for fourteen months and always searches for silver. She had a '53 quarter stashed away that she found and thought it was worth $1.50 or so. I told her it was worth more like 7.50 or so. So in unique situations I don't think it's a bad thing.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:11 am

amalekidad wrote:I try to educate tellers so that they will continue to order coin for me and or accept my dumps. When they ask, “what are you doing with all of those half dollars?” I tell them that I’m looking for coins to go in my collection. When they ask, “what are the good ones?” I tell them about the NIFC coins. I tell them that I want all of the halves that they get in but I’m looking for a 1987-S and if they find one I will pay them a dollar for it. If it is a really good teller and they are really nice to me I will give them chocolate. That usually gives me a friend for life. That would be their life at that branch as they do move around a lot.

Yep, that's pretty much what I say when they ask what all the coins are for. If I don't say bus fare then I tell them "rare coins, there's too many too name". Sometimes I wish they would just give me the coins and keep to their own business, but most of the time they're really just kind of curious and trying to make friendly conversation.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals