SILVER MARKET ADVICE NEEDED TONIGHT!!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Postby Verbane » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:01 pm

I'm thinking this is a go, BUT... I want some advice.

I was offered Morgans and Peace dollars at $18.00 each from my local seller, I bought 2 this afternoon at $18.00 each with the cash I had on me. I need to buy before 11:00am tomorrow. I would be buying 40 on Saturday and possibly an additional 40 early next week, and choosing from a stock of ~150+. At current melt, I make a profit today. The cash available is not emergency FRN, but I do consider the FRN's to be part of my intermediate plan if my wife or I lose a job, short of SHTF. Will the market support 18.00 per silver dollar if in another 3, 6 or more months I have a personal SHTF?

These are bullion grade coins some better, some lower grade condition of my choice. I have been buying from this seller for 3+ years. I need market advice more than buy, hold, survivalist advice on this purchase, but any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Re: SILVER MARKET ADVICE NEEDED TONIGHT!!!

Postby aristobolus » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:07 pm

When in doubt, at times it is wise to take a middle course. Perhaps purchase only forty altogether; in this way you will have the satisfaction of buying at a good price now, but also show temperance by not purchasing all of them. Also you will get the best forty out of the bunch.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby andrewjackson » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:07 am

8-) . Sounds like a good deal taking into consideration that the dollar is being deliberately devalued. I was picking up morgans last year for plus/minus 18.00. My personal opinion is that silver is the best option right now, it is way undervalued and has only one way to go and that is upwards. I would think of the purchase to insulate against paper devaluation 'monetary easing' check out ebay/coinflation and see what their going for. I buy here and there from a local shop that treats me fair, and have heard that their is already a shortage in some areas. If you can afford it I would think that you wouldn't be dissapointed.
andrewjackson
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rainsonme » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:37 am

Over the last several years, I bought silver dollars every time I found them at $16 or below, and I almost never found them below 16. In my very ignorant opinion, I think your downside is $16, about 12% down from $18. What do you think your up side is? For most investments I buy, if I think 12% downside is worst case, I feel good about it ---- depending on what I think my upside is.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:04 am

Cherrypick the best 140.. keep what you want.. and flip the rest to me and your fellow members at 18.25 :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:24 am

i would buy them because they are very liquid if you live in a big enough area with craigslist, etc.

you are getting them at a nice price, which gives you a cushion.

even if silver fell 25% from here, and it ate into your cushion,its not a complete loss but only a partial and temporary loss.

whether you do this full bore or middle ground depends on what access to other funds you have for an emergency - credit availabitliy, preps, etc.

another idea would be to buy them all and sell some here for $20.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby myfundsarelow » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:55 am

if you have the cash buy them all as in the past every thing goes up same with the morgan dollars in the past silver was 17 0r 18 dollars per oz we did not buy now look at the price of these items buy now be happy later . PEACE!!
myfundsarelow
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:11 am

Buy them all, you should be able to sell them from a profit later. Or buy them all, keep what you want, and sell the rest to us for a small profit.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby snappy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:03 pm

If I remember right (and I do) the last tine I purchaced a bunch of silver dollers I paid $4.50 each (AU+) and $3.00-3.50 for average circ. back in the early 90's, wish I could have gotten more.
snappy
Penny Collector Member

Postby Beau » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:48 pm

if I could have bought silver dollars for $4.50 anytime in the 90`s I would have

bought a whole truck load, and they would have been any kind AU average

circulated or any other way.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Sounds like a great deal to me. When I bought a few of those, it was generally the price of its silver content, plus 3-4 dollars.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:13 pm

I picked up some Merc dimes today at 18x and felt OK about it. But it was only $3 face. Don't invest FRNs that you might need to live off of in the near future because anything can happen. Cash may be trash in the long haul, but for SHORT TERM security it cannot be beat.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby zerocd » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:15 pm

Buy them all.
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:29 pm

Sounds like a good deal. I only have one Morgan and I think it cost about the equivalent of $23. Lovely coins!

Does the site have a glossary at all? What does FRN mean?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:50 pm

I would clean him out!

FRN=federal reserve note. American paper money
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby agmoose » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:40 am

I bought 11 that my dealer had at $18.75 the other day without blinking, and would agree with the rest of the members - buy them all. Flip a few at .25-.50 profit apiece to recover/replenish some of your FRNs.

Congrats in advance.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals