Silver Sorting/Rolling Machines?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Sorting/Rolling Machines?

Postby sdmarasso » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:47 pm

First Question:
Does anyone know of any machines that will sort 40% and 90% halves and well, any other 90% silver too for that matter. Where do you purchase it?

2nd Question:
Does anyone know of a machine that rolls halves and where to get one?
sdmarasso

Re: Silver Sorting/Rolling Machines?

Postby rainsonme » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:53 pm

Just curious; where would you get the raw supply of halfs to dump into a machine to make it worth while? Sourcing a large volume of halfs on a continuing basis would be tough unless you were an Armored Service company, or a bank. Or Jackson Metals Corp.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:01 am

sdmarasso wrote:First Question:
Does anyone know of any machines that will sort 40% and 90% halves and well, any other 90% silver too for that matter. Where do you purchase it?

2nd Question:

If you are serious about it than you can PM me.

Be prepared to spend around $4,000-$5,000 on each.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Wow I didn't know there were machines to sort silver.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:59 pm

I only know of ones that reject it but if you call that sorting then yes, they do exist. I know Coinstar brand machines reject silver as does another machine that I use to return my halves. Just checked it today with a 40%er and it works. Makes me feel better that I havent missed anything rim searching.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:22 pm

So those of us who have the banks order us halves might run out of luck if they start using machines like that?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Pennysaved wrote:So those of us who have the banks order us halves might run out of luck if they start using machines like that?

Yea, silver is being culled at that point. Either the person leaves it in the machine (seen this happen a few times) or spends it not knowing what they have. With more and more of these types of machines less and less silver is making it back into circulation.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:07 pm

does anyone really need a machine to sort silver halves? Maybe adam because he can do XXXXXX a day but regular people sorting boxes? You can look at the sides of a roll in 2-3 seconds per roll And the sorting machine isn't going to re roll them for you
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Why do they make machines that reject silver? What is the rationale behind that.

I agree you would have to do really high volume in order to justify buying a 5k machine to sort for silver.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Pennysaved wrote:Why do they make machines that reject silver? What is the rationale behind that.

I agree you would have to do really high volume in order to justify buying a 5k machine to sort for silver.

The technology came about because of the Euro. The Euro has some "higher dollar" coins that started to get faked and counterfited a lot so they had engineers from a certain coin equipment company design a machine strickly for sorting out the counterfit coins. This technology than transfered over into kicking out tokens and than onto silver and also copper.

The reason most of you have never heard of it because there very few of them in the USA.
Last edited by highroller4321 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:58 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:
Pennysaved wrote:So those of us who have the banks order us halves might run out of luck if they start using machines like that?

Yea, silver is being culled at that point. Either the person leaves it in the machine (seen this happen a few times) or spends it not knowing what they have. With more and more of these types of machines less and less silver is making it back into circulation.

Banks are not going to start useing this because they can't short a customer just because the coin is made of silver. Also the machine costs more than a regular one does so they aren't going to want to spend the extra money either.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Pennysaved wrote:Why do they make machines that reject silver? What is the rationale behind that.

And that is just a used one! New machines cost around 25k and if you want the fancy machine that can even sort 40 and 90% into different bags that is going to cost you over 42k!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:59 am

sdmarasso wrote:First Question:

2nd Question:

Yes, I saw them come onto the scene about 1965. I was 11 years old at the time. You dumped your coins at the top and an electric motor would spin the coins spiraling down a chute. Gravity and inertia would separate the 90% from the copper-clad. That was the beginning of the end for my family sorting coins on a large scale. Silver soon became scarce once the big boys put the machines into play. I am surprised they still don't do it that way. Maybe the cost of the machines is too much to justify it for the small amount of coins you would get now.

It sounds like Highroller has the inside scoop on modern ones! ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals