What's "currency" to you?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: What's "currency" to you?

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Treetop wrote:just for reference neil, you might plant some roses for "rosehips" to get vitamin c. Besides the pills the other things you listed will loose their vitamin c, depending on how you preserve them. roses and rosehips are real easy to deal with. they grow themselves, and the hips are good in tea.

nice! your right!...hips are good in tea..throw in some nervous tonic and winter evenings pass like nothing....you gon need that farwood? (laughing)

that brings up a grim thought though, what about when some of these folks cant get their anti-depressants and or anti-pyschotics?....im serious, i personally know quite a few people in the city, that have been prescribed anti-Dee's and anti-pyschos like this one called seroquel, i think....nasty stuff, talk about a mass freak out! God have mercy...thats a prayer bro.
n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:26 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
Oakair wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Beer is my currency.

SHTF.....I will dish out a Walker per cold one.

Good thing I'll have some homebrew ;)

Throw some hops in the vegetable garden and find a way to make your own yeast lol

Hops?!?...how about poppies? them there tallybans taught me something, and if they can do it, why cant i?...make cough syrup and nervous tonic, be a real high value trade....besides, IF i was to make some kind of sipping likker, i'd rather get me some dent corn, and brew up some white...plenty of corn around here, and white would trade better than beer, less hassle and more compact.

btw, and i'm you know this, but "white" is corn liquor.

HA!

I forgot about those lil (or giant) suckers...Good call! Quite the pretty flower...and for that reason they are grown ornamentally with the owners having 0 clue of their true value, Ive seen a few in some well tended flower gardens, and would do well to get myself some seeds

And as for the liquor, your on the right track for trading, but I enjoy me my imperial IPA's...Craft beer is always a good thing to be able to produce, if only for personal enjoyment ;)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:03 pm

neilgin1 wrote:besides our PM's...gold and silver, and our BM coin's , coppers and nickels, what do you have this very second, that you believe is "currency" in a grid down enviroment, and how much would you want for it in silver, copper or nickel?

i'll be a start buyer, and anyone else can chime in to "buy" too....or sell for that matter?

so here goes, my shopping list, i want one full cord of firewood, hardwood

one roll of barbed wire.

a five gallon can of gasoline

a carton of cigarettes.

that should do for now...what you need for those?

14 bottles (750ml) of scotch, Dewars.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Pennybug » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:27 pm

68Camaro wrote:Cases of citrus fruit, or juice, available for trade (oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, lemons, limes). Don't need your firewood, dude. :) Barely need any heat except for a few of the colder nights. What I need for that citrus is a "cord" of air conditioning! ;)

Ok Capt. Barbosa...

ARRR... the cam be keepin scurvy at bay for us all when the poop deck be thrown into rudder. I'll bye yer' froot boy... and a silver morgan for a captain morgan... I too shall use me harrrr-let wench to keep the cold at bay.

:lol:
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Thogey wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:besides our PM's...gold and silver, and our BM coin's , coppers and nickels, what do you have this very second, that you believe is "currency" in a grid down enviroment, and how much would you want for it in silver, copper or nickel?

i'll be a start buyer, and anyone else can chime in to "buy" too....or sell for that matter?

so here goes, my shopping list, i want one full cord of firewood, hardwood

one roll of barbed wire.

a five gallon can of gasoline

a carton of cigarettes.

that should do for now...what you need for those?

14 bottles (750ml) of scotch, Dewars.

i can get you 7 bottles of Dewars, some might have scotch.. i can guarantee you this, all Dewars bottles will have liqour in them, 100 proof plus.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:35 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
Treetop wrote:I dont think a copper penny will ever buy an egg, in such a situation. I doubt 99 percent would even want a copper penny.

even in a depression times 2 situation i dont think nickels and copper pennies will be buying eggs anywhere close to those prices. many folks will be at starvations door, struggling to get by in a depression time 2 situation..... In a cities are on fire situation? the eggs ARE the gold, the PMs and BMs are hunks of metal and hope for the future......

Tree, been thinking hard about what you wrote. i'm sure you know poultry culture, eggs dont keep, and if you have a big enough flock, (which is a nightmare, i personally cant stand those lil proto-dinosaurs)...you a LOT of eggs, and you can either eat them, bake them (bread) or let them hatch out...so up here, there will be a surplus.

as to the copper penny and nickel Nickel...thats the beauty of coins...its hard to do pure barter to barter, and these two coins, seemingly lowly coins will hold value, because they are portable trade units, with a known metallic value. one of things i read from FerFAL in Argetina, is that once the crisis hit, coins just dissappered....gone...hoarded...and maybe..traded?

that will be the interesting part, the valuations, and i intend on bidding low and selling high...there will be cooperative ventures, just in my lil universe, i made good friends with a fellow, and we're going to build a modest livestock barn up here, he has a great wealth of knowledge, i have the will and the land, we get along really good, so we're fixing to do that....no money involved, just shares between the two of us. things;ll work like that...i'll fill you in, once we get rolling, its just a modest venture to provide both our families with protein...surplus?...thats the bonus.

you might be right. I do think they will be wealth preservers for sure..... but trading as currency? im not so sure.... I think people will want stuff (food, knives, pans, clothes, needles, their drugs etc) much, much more then a medium of exchange.

Look at gold and silver for a second. what percentage even held a silver or gold coin before? did they think of it as a collectors piece or a store of value?? you said we are talking a situation where cities are having riots and the like. Personally I dont think even gold and silver will be worth trading at such a point unless you have strategic resources to acquire. my reasoning being that people will want real assets. I expect gold and silver to be useful at that point only to those who have it all... how many such folks do YOU know? some guy wants a cord of wood for his eggs, and Ive got a pocket of silver, this dude needs wood.... sure this guy knows silver is and always was money, but people are scared and he wants needs wood... I think the silver price will easily be 4 times its value at that point perhaps much more. this way the man can know in his heart hes got a good chance of finding someone with the wood to trade the hunks of metal for....

PMs and BMs are for preserving wealth THROUGH a crisis, much more then buying things during one, let alone copper and nickel. You want something people will want at that point, fill your shed with dry goods, spices, (legal) drugs, .22 ammo, clothing, coats, handtools and the like.... in fact handtools will be a HOT item. not that walmart junk either. I collect the "heads" of many handtools. Our pawn shop and flea market often have the old good stuff that needs a handle for 2-3 bucks. dang near indestructible.

nickel and copper? personally i think those would be nearly worthless under such conditions except for those tiny few percent who have everything they could need. whos got a shop open for barter when cities are on fire??? not to many thats for sure. trade will be minimal. just where would people trade? the old school market area of humanities past is not to likely with all the red tape in todays world. depends on local officials of course, but they will be scared to....

Now if things have stabilized some, most folks willing to work can afford to keep their bellies full, then yeah copper and nickel will likely be circulating, but personally i think it would be at depressed prices. These are BMs after all. Perhaps Im dead wrong but I doubt it....

just thinking out loud here....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:46 pm

I've got five years worth of batteries and toilet paper, ten years worth of schick razors, two years of canned goods, toothpaste, bar soap, matches, candles, flashlights. Nickeless is my idol :lol: Considering that these items might be subject to looting if TSHTF I have them locked up in storage units.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:49 am

neilgin1 wrote:
Tree, been thinking hard about what you wrote. i'm sure you know poultry culture, eggs dont keep, and if you have a big enough flock, (which is a nightmare, i personally cant stand those lil proto-dinosaurs)...you a LOT of eggs, and you can either eat them, bake them (bread) or let them hatch out...so up here, there will be a surplus.

actually this isnt as nearly true as it might seem. You only have a lot of eggs if you have a lot of chickens. you only have a lot of chickens if you have a lot of food to feed the chickens.....

It isnt hard to feed a few chickens, but a single family will use the bulk of the eggs. If youve got a large spread you might have a few families worth of eggs from your chickens, without a ton of growing food for them, though winters might be tough for most. Because most accomplish this by free ranging the chickens.....

99.99 percent of chicken operations beyond the homesteading level rely on store bought feeds. Back in the day, each family often had its own chickens, and as I said its not to hard to feed a few chickens because they eat scraps and can find their own insects if you have them a large area. chicken wasnt even a common animal to eat until recently, people raised them for eggs. they did eat them of course, but they werent really raised for meat.

sadly most of what Im saying holds true for many animals, but with cows for instance its much easier to take them back to the farmer completing diet then it would be to do so with more then a few chickens. Even out where I am where cattle are free ranged, they rely on LOW quality wild things, then supplement various minerals, all of which must find different sources....

Our food system is a LOT more fragile then many here assume, heck most of what Im saying holds true for conventional AND organic farms. the vast vast bulk rely on methods that NEED outside inputs.... most do not even have seeds. they buy them yearly. In fact im laughed at on gardening forums nearly daily for constantly bringing up methods of onsite managing of variables for animals and crops...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:14 am

Honey is a good moneymaker. Bees mostly take care of themselves, especially in warm climates. I started beekeeping around 18 months ago. Two months ago I got my first honey, about 18 pints, from one hive. I also got a pound or two of wax, for candles.

Adding hives to the bee yard is pretty easy. Its not hard to capture wild swarms, and most colonies can be induced to swarm (make an extra queen and split in two) once per year.

Honey has been a luxury food for more than 5,000 years. After the SHTF, I'm sure it can be traded for almost anything else. Your customers will be folks with assets, not the mob.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:50 am

Tree, not everyone lives in the cities...or even the high density sub urban or ex urband areas.

thems my heart bleeds for...i dont how this thing plays itself out in those area's.

thats why i bolted. i was given a blessing by God, and for that i praise His Name. Been slowly reading thru Jeremiah, its a nail after nail after nail in my heart, i understand NOW that dear man's burden, heartache, but if you pick up in Chapters 30 thru 33, thats called "The Book of Consolation". THAT'S where the Heart of God is.

forgive me for bringing Matters of the Faith in this discussion, i dont mean to sound "religious", coz i aint. maybe i can "see' things, and it might be a blessing, but it can be a curse, coz i'm a little man, possessed of little power, unable to right the wrongs, i can only pray, but sometimes God says, "don't even pray for that, or this, because I have ordained what is to follow"....THATS where one's heart is torn in two. i hope i'm not being too obtuse, or seeming to sow fear.
there will be value to base metal coins, to silver and gold, but they are meaningless in the end. if we place our faith in these things, they become mere idols....a broken and contrite spirit, thats what He seeks, thats the pleasing sacrifice, an aroma ascending to the Heavens. When the time comes, we show Mercy, Love and Charity, we become Sons of the Light, amen. MANY who have said, "Lord, Lord"....He will say, "I dont even know you"....THAT is the fear of God, THAT is the beginning of wisdom, to pray that you NEVER hear those words, "I never knew you".....every else falls into place, once you get to that reverential Awe, of how little and small we are, and tuck yourself under the Wings....
much love to you Tree, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:53 am

Honey is good. i know a man does hives, a friend, who doesnt play well with other children, nor has he heeded me about currency, just sits in front of the telly watching MSNBC, screaming about the Republicans...i'll buy his honey.
(laughing)
neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Hey Idaho, Is there a good beekeeping forum or website that you would recommend? I am interested in setting something up. Thanks!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:22 pm

neilgin1 wrote:Tree, not everyone lives in the cities...or even the high density sub urban or ex urband areas.

thems my heart bleeds for...i dont how this thing plays itself out in those area's.

thats why i bolted. i was given a blessing by God, and for that i praise His Name. Been slowly reading thru Jeremiah, its a nail after nail after nail in my heart, i understand NOW that dear man's burden, heartache, but if you pick up in Chapters 30 thru 33, thats called "The Book of Consolation". THAT'S where the Heart of God is.

forgive me for bringing Matters of the Faith in this discussion, i dont mean to sound "religious", coz i aint. maybe i can "see' things, and it might be a blessing, but it can be a curse, coz i'm a little man, possessed of little power, unable to right the wrongs, i can only pray, but sometimes God says, "don't even pray for that, or this, because I have ordained what is to follow"....THATS where one's heart is torn in two. i hope i'm not being too obtuse, or seeming to sow fear.
there will be value to base metal coins, to silver and gold, but they are meaningless in the end. if we place our faith in these things, they become mere idols....a broken and contrite spirit, thats what He seeks, thats the pleasing sacrifice, an aroma ascending to the Heavens. When the time comes, we show Mercy, Love and Charity, we become Sons of the Light, amen. MANY who have said, "Lord, Lord"....He will say, "I dont even know you"....THAT is the fear of God, THAT is the beginning of wisdom, to pray that you NEVER hear those words, "I never knew you".....every else falls into place, once you get to that reverential Awe, of how little and small we are, and tuck yourself under the Wings....
much love to you Tree, neil

this is in response to me? I wasnt talking about cities at all actually. you dont seem to have addressed any of the very real issues I raised. not saying this for division, just that you simply didnt.

I was talking about raising chickens and that people rely on store bought feeds. Its not easy to raise more then a small amount of chickens on scraps and freeranging them. Raising your own food for chickens beyond that is a good amount of work. there will NOT be the abundance of eggs you mentioned in a past post. Only so many chickens can be free ranged safely. Lots of wild animals will get them otherwise, and even then many have issues with that. Yes people could raise foods for them just like we do today, above freeranging and scraps (the ways homesteaders do it for a handful of chickens) but this would be a LOT of labor, and most wouldnt know how to balance a quality feed. Then process the foods into a feed they can readily eat.... this is true aanywhere in the country. I sure as heck wasnt talking cities, in your example cities are in lockdown.

The same things is true for other animals. though some animals would be easier to go back to other things. Like cattle eat grass, still lots of other free range cattle out there. However these cattle needs supplemental nutrition in the form of minerals that they would now have to grow rather then buy.... most simply would not know how to do it, altering the quality of their cattle over time.... so they will take a hit also...

As far as farmland, organic or syn fert, they rely on OUTSIDE inputs. even down to seeds. That is all most know... so even skilled organic farmers under the current paradigm, most of them would be hard pressed to produce without those outside inputs. Im on many many gardening forums, trying to convince gardeners and farmers to do exactly this, and most laugh at me. they could secure a wider profit margin, and be more self reliant, and most simply dont think its commercially viable and most of them couldnt do it, beyond simple stuff like adding manure or composts. which works of course, to a degree, there are MANY other factors that they would now have to rely to on farm inputs... water being a big one, and most simply do not know how to do this. trust me when i say I know what Im talking about on this topic above all others....

I could break it down to each and every input if you like. It will be a tough transition for the best of our current farmers, and most of them simply do not have the knowledge to do it without inputs, with any level of assurance of a good crop compared to todays paradigm.....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:39 pm

NHsorter wrote:Hey Idaho, Is there a good beekeeping forum or website that you would recommend? I am interested in setting something up. Thanks!

This forum is awesome:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php

I'm "MagicValley" there.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:40 pm

the only place I could forsee a glut of food is in cases of established orchards that need little or no spraying. Most orchards even RELY on sprays and would fail without them.....

I dont feel like digging p the exact numbers here, but in addition to the issues I raised above, a SMALL percentage, think its less then one percent currently grow ALL the nations food. the vast bulk of those rely 100 percent on outside inputs for most factors involved in growing food.... right down to the seeds, fertility and water....

the reason we can have so few grow when it used to be more then 10 percent of the population as farmers is because of machinery. also inputs such as herbicides, pesticides, etc. harvestors, processors on and on and on... all of these streamlined the process. Making it so much fewer people could get the job done.....

so even in those cases where farmers DO have seeds (rare) and know how to do without outside inputs (a bit less rare but most of these can only take care of certain factors, even irrigation will be an issue since people now use water hungry and input hungry crops so even if they hae seeds most wont perform well) and even where theres enough water, you still need TONS of labor to grow anything more then enough food for a few families. and that would only be after a transition that would be difficult for many impossible due to lack of seeds and knowledge for most current farmers, including organic folks....

So where does this labor come from? does a farmer have any compulsion to grow more then he can manage to grow himself???? those few who would still be capable of reliably producing??? How would said farmer keep all these laborers feed until the crop comes in????

used to be most folks in this country right up until the 1900s (and bankers forced us into cities and their factories another topic though) that 90 plus percent owned land and grew a large chunk of their food, though often not the staples like grains and such, though many did those also..... we STILL had short lived mini famines in this very country despite that in tough times of the past. In an era when virtually everyone knew how to tend animals and the land.

As it stand now, take away those outside inputs, and only a portion of the tiny 1 percent of the population that farms could reliably produce a crop for themselves let alone large scale distribution..... heck I personally know many farmers and ranchers working on transitioning NOW, and its taking most of them YEARS with the internet and centuries of collected knowledge on the subject to transition farms to rely on onsite means only....

some might point to the amish. good point, first they do NOT grow enough to sell massive amounts in the old fashioned ways, second they also often use outside inputs, third they use TONS of labor, and have a structure that supports that labor already well established. so making it to net harvest is no issue.

there are exceptions all over to what I am saying, BUT not even remotely enough to feed more then a small fraction of our population..... so if the rug ever is pulled out from under the sources of those outside inputs, it will be a much much greater challenge transitioning then people here seem to be accounting for.....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Tree, i know what your saying and believe me, i'm not ducking any talking point.....not at all, i just dont have the ENERGY or RAM space to refute, just take a gander at this, sharp fellow is now getting $6 for a gallon of gas, the defense rests.

http://goldnews.bullionvault.com/silver ... _080220115

its just i know what i know, and thats my path. We can theorize, but in the end, its gonna walk itself out. organically. and my gut instinct tells me, do as you have been doing. be well bro, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:52 pm

Treetop wrote:the only place I could forsee a glut of food is in cases of established orchards that need little or no spraying. Most orchards even RELY on sprays and would fail without them.....

I dont feel like digging p the exact numbers here, but in addition to the issues I raised above, a SMALL percentage, think its less then one percent currently grow ALL the nations food. the vast bulk of those rely 100 percent on outside inputs for most factors involved in growing food.... right down to the seeds, fertility and water....

the reason we can have so few grow when it used to be more then 10 percent of the population as farmers is because of machinery. also inputs such as herbicides, pesticides, etc. harvestors, processors on and on and on... all of these streamlined the process. Making it so much fewer people could get the job done.....

so even in those cases where farmers DO have seeds (rare) and know how to do without outside inputs (a bit less rare but most of these can only take care of certain factors, even irrigation will be an issue since people now use water hungry and input hungry crops so even if they hae seeds most wont perform well) and even where theres enough water, you still need TONS of labor to grow anything more then enough food for a few families. and that would only be after a transition that would be difficult for many impossible due to lack of seeds and knowledge for most current farmers, including organic folks....

So where does this labor come from? does a farmer have any compulsion to grow more then he can manage to grow himself???? those few who would still be capable of reliably producing??? How would said farmer keep all these laborers feed until the crop comes in????

used to be most folks in this country right up until the 1900s (and bankers forced us into cities and their factories another topic though) that 90 plus percent owned land and grew a large chunk of their food, though often not the staples like grains and such, though many did those also..... we STILL had short lived mini famines in this very country despite that in tough times of the past. In an era when virtually everyone knew how to tend animals and the land.

As it stand now, take away those outside inputs, and only a portion of the tiny 1 percent of the population that farms could reliably produce a crop for themselves let alone large scale distribution..... heck I personally know many farmers and ranchers working on transitioning NOW, and its taking most of them YEARS with the internet and centuries of collected knowledge on the subject to transition farms to rely on onsite means only....

some might point to the amish. good point, first they do NOT grow enough to sell massive amounts in the old fashioned ways, second they also often use outside inputs, third they use TONS of labor, and have a structure that supports that labor already well established. so making it to net harvest is no issue.

there are exceptions all over to what I am saying, BUT not even remotely enough to feed more then a small fraction of our population..... so if the rug ever is pulled out from under the sources of those outside inputs, it will be a much much greater challenge transitioning then people here seem to be accounting for.....

you see the dirty lil secret is this; we have collapse?....and we have an 80% die off of human beings, from the petrol world 6 billion plus, to the prepetrol world population of 1 billion people....and to me, for me, to get into that type of conversation, would be doing NOBODY a service, thats why i spoke of matters of Faith, instead of the gritty truth.

in short, do you really think it matters to me if this body dies?....not at all, that is what is meant as having, "been freed from the bonds of death". so while in this body, i labor, seeking the goal of my salavation which is to be with Messiah..thats the Good News....your heart is changed, from being BOUND to the fear of death, to being SET FREE to an eternal Reality...some may call it "myth"...some may call it an "opiate"...i call Him Jesus, he calls me "neily"...Today is Today, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:57 pm

yes it will indeed work itself out organically, but I can say because of my knowledge on this topic that production will be of much lower quality for most then it has to be.

Keep in mind Im a person who has a 155 Iq despite my lack of caring about grammar and hill billy vocabulary. Ive devoted my life to this very issue, long before I knew a collapse was possible. I moved to an area considered non arable, and through vast studies over years, now know how to alter the variables to the point i CAN produce reliably here. So I know these issues inside and out. i can say with a straight face there is much I dont know, but key aspects i know more then the vast bulk, because of the angle i came at this from. though much about animals Im only now learning... From the way soils and forest evolve through time, to the ways 100 different cultures related to various variables, to breeding, to more knowledge by multiples on water role in growing then Ive seen in any other source.... and on and on.... i could farm any inch of the planet that has a growing season. though in rough areas it would take years in some cases to build it all up.

This will be the crux of how the future plays out. heck the current system was designed to fail, but proving that would take me many long hours and many days and an audience that actually wanted to study an issue in depth....

As for following where your heart guides you... all your telling me is we are brothers in this. guided towards similar places on different paths to get there.... THIS is where I was guided my friend. Not only to understand these issues, but i spend an hour or two daily talking these issues out with farmers and gardeners across the nation, and helping folks understand how to shift over to onsite inputs.... not an easy task under the current paradigm, not easy at all. If you notice since ive been here I pop onto many threads and talk about PRODUCTION, this will be the key. there will be few if any gluts through this transition.....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:06 pm

neilgin1 wrote:you see the dirty lil secret is this; we have collapse?....and we have an 80% die off of human beings, from the petrol world 6 billion plus, to the prepetrol world population of 1 billion people....and to me, for me, to get into that type of conversation, would be doing NOBODY a service, thats why i spoke of matters of Faith, instead of the gritty truth.

in short, do you really think it matters to me if this body dies?....not at all, that is what is meant as having, "been freed from the bonds of death". so while in this body, i labor, seeking the goal of my salavation which is to be with Messiah..thats the Good News....your heart is changed, from being BOUND to the fear of death, to being SET FREE to an eternal Reality...some may call it "myth"...some may call it an "opiate"...i call Him Jesus, he calls me "neily"...Today is Today, neil

Heres the thing though.... i could lay out parameters to feed MANY multiples more people then are currently feed without ANY oil.... or any ofther fuel source besides whatever you do to make handtools. the oil did NOT raise the amount of food we could grow, I can prove this to you as well but it would take many long hours, its a simple fact though, and a well paid for MYTH..... It did however allow fewer people to be farmers, but it didnt actually give us higher yields. To keep it simple they did the largest breeding projects the world had yet known, they also offered outside inputs, and this CAN be done onsite, simply the old homesteaders hadnt realized you can put more fertility so to speak into a soil then it could hold through liquid ferts, given at times plants can use them directly rahter then out of the soil, couple that with the bulk of the farmers of the era having had not enough knowledge and had run their soils into the ground, and it LOOKED like oil increased yields...

Heck with poly cropping and ignoring much knowledge we can beat industrial yields by a wide margin, with systems establsihed long ago, now if we BREED plants for THOSE systems instead of chemical inputs we would be able to do most likely about 40 percent better then that...

Re structure how we feed animals and suddenly the farm lands we grow food for them could be growing 5-10 times more animal feeds, that the animals actually were designed to eat, and then we dont need antibiotics and that junk.....

Establish artificial reefs in oceans, and suddenly the ocean will restock themselves... its been done in small areas and every indication we could do it worldwide... I could go on and on, we could easily feed many multiples of the current level of humans. this is a fact... heck all those desert areas where people live could grow food WHILE solving desertification!!!! the areas that are arid raising vcattle could easily support 10 times the biomass with the right knowledge..... heck people have indeed done most of what Im saying already. the "system" has an agenda though....

As for not fearing death, its another topic. that is good your at peace with life and death. that isnt the issue though, while alive life is designed to struggle to continue that life.... and we can... much better then most realize, my friend. this world could shine so bright our current eyes would be blinded...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:13 pm

your preaching to the choir...i'm WITH you, its just that the human heart is so dark and deceitful...therein lays the problem.
Last edited by neilgin1 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:15 pm

I would trade nickel, copper, silver and gold for whatever their values on the global market after shipping
for example, If I think the current market cost for 12 eggs is 1 lb of copper, then I would sell it for 450 nickels
I would then sell those nickels on Ebay for foreign currency of choice and then i would be able to place an order for foreign seeds, or a shirt or whatever.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rob72830 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:41 am

For me, I guess currency would be growing my own food and learning how to make ethanol to power my generator. In times we are talking about, there may not be electricity. I doubt the power companies will take a bushel of corn or a bag of potatoes. Food stuffs will be the most valuable currency there is. Without food, all the gold and silver in the world will not sustain you. So I guess bags of seed will be the new money.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:35 am

Rob72830 wrote:For me, I guess currency would be growing my own food and learning how to make ethanol to power my generator. In times we are talking about, there may not be electricity. I doubt the power companies will take a bushel of corn or a bag of potatoes. Food stuffs will be the most valuable currency there is. Without food, all the gold and silver in the world will not sustain you. So I guess bags of seed will be the new money.

+8 (AKA the infinity sign) Im a firm believer in PMs as wealth preservers.... but food is key. production is key. hoarding can only go so far. any metal hoarders who dont agree... PLEASE move next to me. I will happily take your metals for food even if no one else will in certain possible economic/social realities. By the end of such a crisis should it come to that... I will probably have your whole stack depending on how deep you stacked....

Look at the bread lines of the 30s..... the SAME conditions in todays era when much much fewer grow food let alone staples.... would be devastating. how many have a generations worth of food hoarded? how many can safely say they can ride out such conditions in todays context?

Production is key.... hoard some seed and manure... get some fruit and nut trees going, and other perennial foods.... berries and the like... get manure, and a compost pile going..... so you can do some annual production should you need to..... save those metals for AFTER..... to rebuild with....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals