These aren't halves...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

These aren't halves...

Postby gilpo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:52 am

A little background: My wife is a bank teller. She thinks I'm slightly crazy for hoarding silver and copper, but is ok with it. She'll bring me home boxes when I ask her to if they have any. Her bank has been having supply issues with nickels and pennies (wonder why?). However, they make it very difficult for her to buy rolls that customers turn in to her. She has to sell them to another teller then can buy them back when she's off the clock.

Yesterday she sends me an email that a guy just dropped off $100 in halves. He told her he already got the silver out of them. She asked if I wanted her to buy them anyway. Hoping that maybe he missed the 40%ers, i told her to get them.

I get home and she hands me 5 rolls.

"Ummm.....babe.....these aren't halves."

Thankfully, the roll wrappers had the dollar amount printed on them so she didn't get an over or under.

They are 71-D's, 72 P & D, and 76 P & D. They are in really good condition. Looks like he pulled them out of circulation not long after they were made. Anyone want to buy them? There's $100 there. I hate to turn them back in for face.
gilpo

Re: These aren't halves...

Postby dan53 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:57 am

You might have better luck over at the "Buy it Now" forum.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tourney64 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:51 am

I don't know how many times I have tried to pay with halves and the cashiers treat the halves as dollar coins. Too bad I am honest.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Poker chips!!!!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby scrapper2010 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:21 pm

The other day a bank teller gave me $3.00 in halves and tried to get me to give her six bucks for them.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:23 pm

scrapper2010 wrote:The other day a bank teller gave me $3.00 in halves and tried to get me to give her six bucks for them.

I would gladly pay $6, as long as they are the right kind of halves :D A teller at my pick up bank has had 6 morgans in her drawer and she will not sell them to me. I even offered her spot for them the last time I was in and she says that she is keeping them. I think she just leaves them in there to taunt me.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:45 pm

PM sent to purchase. I like Ike!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby BamaJoe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Hey gilpo, doesn't sleeping with a bank teller help alot in getting preferred treatment on what comes in at the bank? :D I've been doing it for almost 18 years and get my pick of what comes in at the branch. Every time she brings me some good stuff from the branch I tell her that I'll keep sleeping with her a while longer. :lol:
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:26 pm

Well if aristobolus didn't snatch them up, don't just turn them back in. Someone here will take them. Heck, I would take a roll.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mercuryman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:06 am

BamaJoe wrote:Hey gilpo, doesn't sleeping with a bank teller help alot in getting preferred treatment on what comes in at the bank? :D I've been doing it for almost 18 years and get my pick of what comes in at the branch. Every time she brings me some good stuff from the branch I tell her that I'll keep sleeping with her a while longer. :lol:

You my friend are living the dream.
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby gilpo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:41 am

BamaJoe wrote:Hey gilpo, doesn't sleeping with a bank teller help alot in getting preferred treatment on what comes in at the bank? :D I've been doing it for almost 18 years and get my pick of what comes in at the branch. Every time she brings me some good stuff from the branch I tell her that I'll keep sleeping with her a while longer. :lol:

HA! I wish. I'm lucky to get anything. At the end of the day, the last thing she wants to do it deal with more money.

I've received several offers for these so I think the fairest thing to do at this point is to do an auction on the forum. However, I'm going to wait until later tonight to start it. I'll link it from here when I get it posted. My wife told me last night that another teller had a bunch of large dollars in his tray so I told her to buy them so I might be adding more to this lot if she gets them. Hopefully they are peace or morgans and not ikes. I'll let you all know.

Thanks for all the interest.
gilpo

Postby gilpo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:05 pm

So when she got to work, the other teller had already sold his other ike's. So I'm selling just the original 100.

Auction is here: http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7862
gilpo

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:57 pm

i'll give you 75 cents for each one of those "halves," lol.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals