Unusual weights for 57s?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Unusual weights for 57s?

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Debs calcium dropped and the oral supplements only provide so much, so this from the ER as we wait for blood test etc...

Was sorting through the fractional 90% this weekend, weeding out culls, and sorting by year to get that in control, and think I noticed an oddity. Has anyone noticed a consistent pattern of excessive weights in the halves and quarters that year of 57? Seems like they were strikingly higher. I can't remember the number now but these were just mostly mildly circulated, maybe a few AU and BU in the mix, and they weighed out at well OVER the BU nominal weight of 250. And no, I didn't have an extra coin in the stack. :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Unusual weights for 57s?

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:19 pm

68Camaro wrote:Debs calcium dropped and the oral supplements only provide so much, so this from the ER as we wait for blood test etc...

Was sorting through the fractional 90% this weekend, weeding out culls, and sorting by year to get that in control, and think I noticed an oddity. Has anyone noticed a consistent pattern of excessive weights in the halves and quarters that year of 57? Seems like they were strikingly higher. I can't remember the number now but these were just mostly mildly circulated, maybe a few AU and BU in the mix, and they weighed out at well OVER the BU nominal weight of 250. And no, I didn't have an extra coin in the stack. :)

I think... correct me if I'm wrong... but wasn't it early 1957 when a young congressman named Richard Milhous Nixon visited and toured the Mint facility? Apparently, he was in the counting room when, overcome by the sight of all the blazing white brilliant uncirculated coins in their hoppers... he ran from the guides side and thrust his hands deeply into the glistening coins, all the while cackling "mine, it's all mine," like an alpha male dog gone rabid, guarding a single ham bone from a ravening pack. Years later, when this discrepancy that you mention, Rich, was called to the attention of Mint officials during the Carter Administration, they cited this incident and stated that, apparently, "some invisible slime had rubbed off of Nixon's hands and been deposited on the coins, affecting their weight."
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby JobIII » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:36 am

Beau,

Is that a joke or did that really happen?
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:54 am

No, it really happened... =8-0
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:23 am

I was minted in 1957, my weight is unusually high..........
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:35 am

I was late 56. Being that close to 57 must be why I have trouble controlling my weight, though I try. :)
68Camaro

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals