Any premium for Canadian Silver Dollars?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Any premium for Canadian Silver Dollars?

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:12 am

I have a guy locally with 40 Canadian silver dollars. They are all 1963 or 1964 and they look at least AU to me, possibly better. They are in the sealed plastic wraps like you would get from littleton coin co. Coinflation puts the melt value at 24.80 each. How much are people willing to pay for these? I have a pretty good handle on pricing for all the US stuff now, but when it comes to this I just don't know what to expect when it comes time to sell them.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Any premium for Canadian Silver Dollars?

Postby jello_g » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:19 am

I pay melt for these, no more as they are common and have little numismatic interest.
jello_g
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:23 am

jello_g wrote:I pay melt for these, no more as they are common and have little numismatic interest.

Well arguably that is a premium because you can often get other canadian stuff for under melt...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jello_g » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:28 am

We're talking about silver dollars, not other Cdn stuff. If you can get these for under melt then I suggest you pull the trigger.
jello_g
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:37 am

yeah that is my point actually. Its not a premium over spot, but a premium over other canadian....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 am

Thanks for the input! You might see some of these for sale here in the near future if someone else did not already snag them.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals