Recent Half Finds

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Recent Half Finds

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:03 pm

Every few weeks I'll stop by a local bank and ask for the halves that have been turned in. The amount normal is a few hundred dollars. However, it has been strange because they are always in a certain type, hand rolled. In the bunch on occasion I might find some silver or silver clad but lately there have been several S mint halves, some proof like. Now why would folks be breaking up mint or proof sets? Could it really be the person is that tight for money? It has been like that the last three times...strange.

Are others finding lots of S mints halves in circulation? :?: :)
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Recent Half Finds

Postby thedude » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:25 pm

I suspect the original owner was not the one to break up the sets. My guess is that they were passed on/acquired by someone who is not a collector. If you don't know what you're looking for a half is just a half.
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all.
thedude
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rainsonme » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:10 pm

I have about 200 impared proof half dollars, including a couple of 2010's, that must have been broken open very quickly after receipt.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BOHICA » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:10 pm

I was in the drug store this morning and saw a shiny half in the drawer and asked for it. It turned out to be a 1982S Matte Proof.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals