Looking for some Platinum, any ideas where to find?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Looking for some Platinum, any ideas where to find?

Postby Henchman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Hey gents. Looking to get a weee bit of Platinum in the mix. Looking mainly for 1/2 oz American Eagle. I saw them recently on a site for $40 over spot but I can't recall or find it again. Any ideas where to snag some plat at a decent price?

Cheers,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Looking for some Platinum, any ideas where to find?

Postby chris6084 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:09 pm

At a decent price? No. Especially right now, premiums are terrible. I have had very little luck finding platinum eagles at coin shops. Ebay is one option. I have seen them at very large coin shows as well, but in pretty limited quantities. The last coin show I was at had well over a hundred tables and I only recall seeing platinum at two tables.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slvrbck » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:16 pm

I tried desperately to find some platinum a few years back after it took a major hit. All I could muster was 2 1/10 eagles. Not a sizeable acquisition, but they hold a cherished position in my collection.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Maybe someone here will PM you. I have picked some up on eBay but it took a while to find a bargain. Just do what they do up here and go "prospecting" with a ski mask and cordless sawzall.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby saltydecks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:25 am

Apmex.com has some platinum. Really depends on what your looking for. They have eagles from 1 oz. to 1/2, 1/4, and 1/10. They also have bars, just have to get on there and see if they have what you want. As everybody else has said though, it's not a great price. But they do have some inventory.
saltydecks
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals