Competition searching for dimes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Competition searching for dimes

Postby AgCollector » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:10 am

I've been searching halves for a while for silver and am used to some competition there, but recently I've been amazed at how many banks I go to that say someone is also asking for dimes, ordering dimes, etc. One place even had someone's returns, where they were paper NF String wrappers that were unrolled on one end and then rerolled. Anyone else notice this? Or, if you live in the Portland, Maine area want to admit it's you?!
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Re: Competition searching for dimes

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:47 am

AgCollector wrote:I've been searching halves for a while for silver and am used to some competition there, but recently I've been amazed at how many banks I go to that say someone is also asking for dimes, ordering dimes, etc. One place even had someone's returns, where they were paper NF String wrappers that were unrolled on one end and then rerolled. Anyone else notice this? Or, if you live in the Portland, Maine area want to admit it's you?!

I'm in Florida, so it wasn't me. However, I, too, an noticing all denominations of coins being searched in my area by others and me getting their leftovers much more frequently now.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:58 pm

I do a lot of nickels, and had a bank talk about other sorters. The teller seemed suspicious. She said, "OK, what is going on with nickels? I have had a lot of people coming in lately buying large amounts of nickels. Is there something valuable I should be looking for?" She seemed hesitant to sell me the box.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:42 pm

I know at one of my dumb banks they said they have a teller that sorts for silver dimes.

Definitely will leave that bank a dump bank; he probably buys all their good stuff.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:18 pm

Today I got $50 in pennies, told it was CWR. Yep - all zinc. Well - probably - I opened 4 rolls - all zinc - took them to another bank and exchanged for sealed brinks boxes.

Halves are TOUGH here (FL) - I only do CWR dimes...........
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fb101 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:25 am

The competition in all categories is heading upward.
Suddenly, I noticed there's almost a dozen in the philly suburbs.
And If I know there's that many, I know there's four times that many.
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AgCollector » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:47 pm

fb101 wrote:The competition in all categories is heading upward....

PreservingThePast wrote:However, I, too, an noticing all denominations of coins being searched in my area by others and me getting their leftovers much more frequently now.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:

I guess that's the bottom line I take from all this - enjoy it while you can!
AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:17 am

I live in a smaller rural area. Two "local" banks only. I have my favorite teller (holds silver for me from other customers) at the "big" one where I get string boxes of nickels and pennies, the little bank is the dump for these and I get brinks boxes of "silver" from this one. Currently, I have no competition and people are still unloading their CWRs towards the end of the month but not as much as earlier in the "recession". That's the report from rural upstate central NY.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:51 am

I'm not that far from you AG and that's exactly how i return them. But i'm certain it's not me since i'm not exactly in your area.

I recently had a couple of boxes of halves delivered to my bank that were brinks boxes instead of nf string and they had all been searched. THe boxes were open and the silver count had actually been tallied on the tops of each box. Luckily that's the only case in which i've knowingly picked up someone else's dump.

I haven't seen much in the way of dime searching, but i try to avoid using a coin counter for dimes.

Even with the potential for competition and the already low rate of silver finds in my area, i'm still holding off from switching back to pennies.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby twentybux » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:26 pm

AgCollector wrote:I've been searching halves for a while for silver and am used to some competition there, but recently I've been amazed at how many banks I go to that say someone is also asking for dimes, ordering dimes, etc. One place even had someone's returns, where they were paper NF String wrappers that were unrolled on one end and then rerolled. Anyone else notice this? Or, if you live in the Portland, Maine area want to admit it's you?!

Not me unless they just moved Maine to the Midwest and no one told me. :D Yeah, seems that even more folks are getting into this. The bank I have been ordering halves from for some time stated that more and more folks are coming in asking for rolls. What these folks don't realize is that this bank will let you order halves if you are a customer. These "new folks" are taking rolls from my source bank one or two rolls at a time while I am pulling out $1K of halves from the bank's vault when I walk in. Oh well. What they don't know won't hurt them. Get em while you can! ;)
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals