Maple versus Eagle - Ag

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Maple versus Eagle - Ag

Postby HelloMeteor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:39 am

Why is the silver maple so much smaller than the eagle? You can't tell me it's the difference between 0.999 and 0.9999 purity. I wouldn't be able to detect a difference in size of 0.0009 (9 ten thousandths). Something is wrong here. I have some of both, and the eagle is much larger.
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Maple versus Eagle - Ag

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:01 am

One has copper in, one doesn't. You weighed them? I think the maple is a bit thicker, no?
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:05 am

they are both 099.9 pure, no copper.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:45 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:they are both 099.9 pure, no copper.

Purity would be 100 though right? Which is technically impossible is it not? This it must have *something* in it... Trace elements? I thought it was copper - my bad. :oops:

Anyway, regardless, they should both weigh the same - right?
Scotsman in residence...

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:30 pm

if its .999 or .9999 the .001 or .0001 is not going to register on the scale, whether its copper or lead or whathaveyou. i don't know whether its copper or not, just pointing out that with .999 there is no meaningful amount of copper to increase the weight. D.S. is probably thinking of some U.S. gold which is 22K and has a full ounce of gold plus 2K of copper. 90% silver is like that as well - has .715 oucnes of silver plus some other metal
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby didou » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:52 pm

It's the thickness. Most world coins are smaller in diameter that the ASE but they all contain the same amount of material.

Purity has nothing to do with the weight. They all should weight exactly 1 oz no matter how pure they are.
ASE allow for 0.1% (99.9%) of impure material, Canadian Maple Leaf 0.01% - 99.99% pure, ten time less impure material.
At this purity, the impure material doesn't really matter if it's copper or something else, it's investment grade.

999 or sometime written .999 or sometime 3N are all the same. It's 99.9% pure with 0.1% of impurity.
9995 or sometime written .9995 or sometime 3N5 are all the same. It's 99.95% pure with 0.05% of impurity.
9999 or sometime written .9999 or sometime 4N are all the same. It's 99.99% pure with 0.01% of impurity.

The weight is the weight total you should see on a scale, including impure material.

Gold is usually put with silver and a ounce of gold 22k still weight 1 oz total, not 1 oz gold plus impure material.
22 k gold divide by total 24 k = 91.667%
So 91.66% of the ounce troy approximatively 28.5116 gram, will be in gold
The remaining, approximatively 2.5918 gram will be in another metal, silver most likely.
For a total weight of 31.1034768 gram or 1 troy ounce.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby HelloMeteor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:08 pm

didou wrote:It's the thickness. Most world coins are smaller in diameter that the ASE but they all contain the same amount of material.

Purity has nothing to do with the weight. They all should weight exactly 1 oz no matter how pure they are.
ASE allow for 0.1% (99.9%) of impure material, Canadian Maple Leaf 0.01% - 99.99% pure, ten time less impure material.
At this purity, the impure material doesn't really matter if it's copper or something else, it's investment grade.

999 or sometime written .999 or sometime 3N are all the same. It's 99.9% pure with 0.1% of impurity.
9995 or sometime written .9995 or sometime 3N5 are all the same. It's 99.95% pure with 0.05% of impurity.
9999 or sometime written .9999 or sometime 4N are all the same. It's 99.99% pure with 0.01% of impurity.

The weight is the weight total you should see on a scale, including impure material.

Gold is usually put with silver and a ounce of gold 22k still weight 1 oz total, not 1 oz gold plus impure material.
22 k gold divide by total 24 k = 91.667%
So 91.66% of the ounce troy approximatively 28.5116 gram, will be in gold
The remaining, approximatively 2.5918 gram will be in another metal, silver most likely.
For a total weight of 31.1034768 gram or 1 troy ounce.

This is simply not true. GAE's are much larger than gold maples because there IS one full ounce of gold in an GAE and it's only 91.667% gold, while the gold maple is 0.9999.
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HelloMeteor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Devil Soundwave wrote:One has copper in, one doesn't. You weighed them? I think the maple is a bit thicker, no?

I'm holding one of each in my hand. There is no perceptible difference in thickness, but the ASE is clearly significantly larger in diameter, probably 3mm.
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby HelloMeteor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:28 pm

HelloMeteor wrote:
Devil Soundwave wrote:One has copper in, one doesn't. You weighed them? I think the maple is a bit thicker, no?

I'm holding one of each in my hand. There is no perceptible difference in thickness, but the ASE is clearly significantly larger in diameter, probably 3mm.

Maple
38mmx2.87mm
31.103grams of silver
0.9999 purity

Eagle
40.6x2.98mm
31.103grams of silver
0.999 purity

Seriously, the math DOES NOT WORK. Once of these coins is not the purity it states, or does not contain the amount of silver stated.
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:58 pm

They are both an ounce of whatever they are made of. One being .9993 the other being .9999 silver. GAEs are 91.66667% gold, 3% silver and remainder copper.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby MO-SILVER! » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:00 pm

Hundreths of and ounce are negligible in the grand scheme of things.
Formerly spartan_b88 on old forum.

"For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?" Matthew 16:26
MO-SILVER!
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:01 pm

I calculated the volume of each coin using your measurements

Maple =3253 cubic mm

ASE=3856 cubic mm

silver has a density of 10.5g/cc

If the silver were pure and you measurements were perfect

maple would weigh 34g
ase would weigh 40.4g

Something does not work out, maybe because the coins are not perfect cylinders so the math doesn't work.

Factoring the trace alloy in does not account for the difference.

A homework asssignment: put each coin in water and see if they displace the same volume. I'll bet they do
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby didou » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:03 pm

HelloMeteor wrote:This is simply not true. GAE's are much larger than gold maples because there IS one full ounce of gold in an GAE and it's only 91.667% gold, while the gold maple is 0.9999.

I was talking about random gold 22k, not GAE. I just answer the post right before mine.

Maple
38mmx2.87mm
31.103grams of silver
0.9999 purity

Eagle
40.6x2.98mm
31.103grams of silver
0.999 purity

Seriously, the math DOES NOT WORK. Once of these coins is not the purity it states, or does not contain the amount of silver stated.

Yes it does because isn't a full block of metal. Look carefully at the edge and how deep the design is.
If you cut them and look them from the side you will see that :

Canadian Maple leaf are really more thick on the field of the coin than American Silver Eagle.
Make a Archimedes test then put it on a precise scale. Pure silver is 10.49 gram per cubic centimeters.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby didou » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:14 pm

Thogey wrote:I calculated the volume of each coin using your measurements

Maple =3253 cubic mm

ASE=3856 cubic mm

silver has a density of 10.5g/cc

If the silver were pure and you measurements were perfect

maple would weigh 34g
ase would weigh 40.4g

Something does not work out, maybe because the coins are not perfect cylinders so the math doesn't work.

Factoring the trace alloy in does not account for the difference.

A homework asssignment: put each coin in water and see if they displace the same volume. I'll bet they do

Thanks for the calculation. It show the Canadian maple leaf have a deep field of about 1.5g of silver on each side and ASE have 4.5g of silver on each side.

If you own a Wiener Philharmoniker from Austria look at it, it's even worst than the Canadian, you can clearly see it, it's almost a flat solid block of silver.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby HelloMeteor » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:00 pm

didou wrote:
HelloMeteor wrote:This is simply not true. GAE's are much larger than gold maples because there IS one full ounce of gold in an GAE and it's only 91.667% gold, while the gold maple is 0.9999.

I was talking about random gold 22k, not GAE. I just answer the post right before mine.

Maple
38mmx2.87mm
31.103grams of silver
0.9999 purity

Eagle
40.6x2.98mm
31.103grams of silver
0.999 purity

Yes it does because isn't a full block of metal. Look carefully at the edge and how deep the design is.
If you cut them and look them from the side you will see that :

Canadian Maple leaf are really more thick on the field of the coin than American Silver Eagle.
Make a Archimedes test then put it on a precise scale. Pure silver is 10.49 gram per cubic centimeters.

Wow. That's it. Thanks.
HelloMeteor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:29 am

the pre-33 eagles are roughly 92% pure only. so there is a decent amount of copper in them. of course, they had less than a full ounce of gold. I think that is what hello meteor was thinking of. not all gold is .999. in fact, until recently, most gold was much less pure. becasue gold is so soft, gold minted into coins was alloyed with something else like copper to strengthen it.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks for clearing this up boys, all makes sense. :)
Scotsman in residence...

Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals