25th anniv ASE 3rd coin issue + top grading

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

25th anniv ASE 3rd coin issue + top grading

Postby justoneguy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:32 pm

has anyone seen the dent or dimple reported here on the bullion coins in the set?
Also look at the high number of coins getting graded 70. WOW, that'll keep their value from skyrocketing too far.

the following is from; http://mintnewsblog.com/2011/11/25th-an ... et-update/
Unique Coins of the Set

The sets are particularly desirable because of the inclusion of two coins (or possibly three) unique to the product offering. The confirmed unique coins are the 2011-S Uncirculated Silver Eagle and the 2011-P Reverse Proof Silver Eagle. Each of these coins have a mintage of only 100,000 pieces, which rank as the second lowest mintage American Silver Eagles ever issued by the US Mint.

As collectors have started to examine their sets, some have identified a potential difference for the bullion Silver Eagle included. Some initial reports found a difference in the finish compared to bullion coins issued through the regular channels. Later reports have identified a “dent” or “dimple” on the middle tail feather of the eagle on the reverse, which seems to appear only on the bullion coins included in the 25th Anniversary Sets.

Capsules Opening During Shipping

There have been many reports about the plastic capsules containing the coins opening during shipping. In some cases, readers have reported finding individuals coins rattling around unprotected within the box. This is understandably upsetting and particularly unfortunate for this product offering since if returned for quality issues, it is probably unlikely that replacements sets could be issued.

Third Party Grading

Some collectors are choosing to send their sets to third party grading companies such as PCGS or NGC for encapsulation and grading. In order to have all five coins in the set identified as coming from the 25th Anniversary Sets, the companies have required submission of the coins within the sealed US Mint shipping boxes.

Some early information seems to indicate a high proportion of coins grading MS70 and PR70. This is surprising since the coins must be submitted “blind,” i.e. collectors do not have an opportunity to view the coins and select the best ones for grading. It is also surprising given the problem of opening capsules mentioned above.

For the 2006 20th Anniversary Sets, around 10-20% of coins seemed to be receiving the top grades. For the 2011 25th Anniversary Sets, the earliest population report data available shows more than 50% of coins receiving the top grades. This may change or shift lower as time passes and more coins are graded, but it is certainly something to watch if contemplating paying a big premium for top graded coins.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: 25th anniv ASE 3rd coin issue + top grading

Postby twentybux » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:19 pm

MMMMM...interesting.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: 25th anniv ASE 3rd coin issue + top grading

Postby everything » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:29 pm

They won't grade as high from PCGS. I just sent 5 sets into NGC and am not keeping my hopes up. I figure I'll be lucky to get two complete 70 sets which I'll keep for myself. It all depends, as I might end up keeping a lemon set and any profit from this will just get plowed back into the same game. Being a lower mintage of the two or three unique coins, the demand for those should remain strong as many people will continue to want to keep their sets complete. This is still a different ballgame than the 10th anniversary and 20th anniversary. The lower mintage likely helped the quality control during the mint process being as it's government work, yielding better results. Out on Ebay you can find a good picture of the tail feather notch.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals