On TV: Bearing Sea Gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

On TV: Bearing Sea Gold

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Has anyone else been watching the show? I wonder how much of it is BS? The dredge rigs are said to be getting 10 to 25 thousand per operating day. The excavator rig is said to be getting 100 to 150 thousand per day.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: On TV: Bearing Sea Gold

Postby Tourney64 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Been watching. Seems like payout is tons higher than digging on land. Capital investment is lower also.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby BlackOut » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Makes me want to get a dingy and try my luck for a season...
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:09 pm

I'am sure more Seamen than sea gold! LOL
Last edited by hobo finds on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:35 pm

I am sure the EPA, US Coast Guard and a host of other agencies will shut them all down shortly. You can't dredge at all in CA but you can dig up the ocean in Alaska. Makes prefect sense doesn't it...
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:23 pm

A friend was in Vegas and visited the pawn shop that has a show. The TV guys asked if he wanted to be on the show. When he said ok, they gave him an antique toy to "sell". So I'm skeptical that reality TV shows are fully true.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby BlackOut » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:04 pm

a good bit of "reality" tv is rigged, it has been obvious to me since a classmate back in the 90's was on the Jerry Springer show. He came back with all sort of stories of $ they paid for flying chairs and punches thrown. I think these repo shows on now are the worst, it makes me sick watching them. WWE if way more realistic than most "reality" tv.
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:58 pm

Dont get me started about news
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:40 am

frugalcanuck wrote:Dont get me started about news

What's wrong with the TV news? Their information is usually top notch and that Cramer guy gives great stock tips.

:lol:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:12 am

Copper Catcher wrote:I am sure the EPA, US Coast Guard and a host of other agencies will shut them all down shortly. You can't dredge at all in CA but you can dig up the ocean in Alaska. Makes prefect sense doesn't it...

Look at Gold Rush: Two of the mines this season got a "visit" from the Mine Safety and Health Administration.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Aqualung48 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:22 am

What's wrong with the TV news?

The news told us Anna Nicole married for love and there are WMD in Iraq.
Aqualung48
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:14 am

I'm currently in the process of buying a bridge from this guy I saw on TV. Looks like a good solid investment! I'm just waiting for the bank to get back to me, but I think they're real busy 'cause they're not returning any of my calls.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby marine70 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 am

Rexmerdinus they have not called because they called me back first. Oh I am trying to resale that bridge its on craigslist wish me luck.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:52 pm

Aqualung48 wrote: ... and there are WMD in Iraq.

The news media said there wasn't. Back channel says there were small amounts, including a bunker full of the ingredients for Sarin gas, plus gas type morter shells. Bush was an idiot for allowing Rove to talk him out of pushing back against the MSM.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Saabman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Mossy wrote:
Aqualung48 wrote: ... and there are WMD in Iraq.

The news media said there wasn't. Back channel says there were small amounts, including a bunker full of the ingredients for Sarin gas, plus gas type morter shells. Bush was an idiot for allowing Rove to talk him out of pushing back against the MSM.

+1
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverEye » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Once your business has been on TV, you no longer make money at your business, you make money by having been on TV. Think knick knacks, Tshirts, guest appearances, giving "authentic" tours and the like.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:11 pm

SilverEye wrote:Once your business has been on TV, you no longer make money at your business, you make money by having been on TV. Think knick knacks, Tshirts, guest appearances, giving "authentic" tours and the like.

Agreed. Someone I know makes pretty good money off the auction hunters craze, but he does it by owning the storage facility. Those guys are happy these days to see people quit paying rent.

It pays to remember that the majority of people who got rich during the gold rushes were the shopkeepers.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Maybe I should fly up there this summer with a load of jerky, to sell to the newbies who go because of the show. Then I can ask around to see how much gold those rigs are really getting.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Delawhere Jack » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm

ALL of Tee-Vee is designed to keep you stupid-passive-and in debt.

That being said, I prefer the other show, Gold Rush.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Here is what I think about sea-mining in Nome.

We know there is only a 90-day window to get the gold each year, the short summer. Fortunately the sun shines 24 hrs/day then. The dredge and excavator rigs shown on the show are not sea-worthy, they must return to shore when a slight swell begins. So they work a lot less than 90 days per year. They dredge in 5 to 15 feet of water, for the most part.

The old books say, that gold is found along the shore for about 20 miles on either side of Nome.

So, what is really needed is a rig that stands on the bottom, with the operator cab above water, and above the 2-foot swell. A brief search yields the Hitachi Starfish. It can stand in 5 meters (16 ft) of water, and is designed to dig trenches for laying pipe under the sea floor.

The excavator weighs 87 tons and has a 4 cubic meter bucket. They are made to order by a Hitachi dealer in Belgium. Of course ours would need a big sluice box to riffle out the gold, but that's just an engineering detail to be addressed when the RealCent team orders our new toy.

Our operating team would ideally be four guys, in two teams, working 12-hour shifts. The teams would switch out via a skiff that carries enough fuel to top off the digger every 12 hours.

So, if an excavator can make $100,000 per day (as the show said), and we work ours around the clock, we might get $200k/day. Our operation would work the entire 90-day window, only coming ashore once per week for maintenance, like greasing all the zerks. In fact, we might be able to extend the window for a week or so.

90 days times $200k is $18,000,000, in gold. Not bad for 3-months work.

I like the name "Goldfinger" for our new toy.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:59 pm

BlackOut wrote:a good bit of "reality" tv is rigged, it has been obvious to me since a classmate back in the 90's was on the Jerry Springer show. He came back with all sort of stories of $ they paid for flying chairs and punches thrown. I think these repo shows on now are the worst, it makes me sick watching them. WWE if way more realistic than most "reality" tv.

Those repo shows are the worst. I saw a few episodes of that Lizard Lick towing. Fights on every repo, occasional stabbings, and people coming to the facility to vandalize random cars. Just too far fetched, and too much acting.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OtusLotus » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 pm

I just watch the news for the "hot" weather girl, and wondering what color panties she is wearing!!!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kidman232 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:48 pm

OtusLotus wrote:I just watch the news for the "hot" weather girl, and wondering what color panties she is wearing!!!

neon green
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silver Addict » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:08 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Here is what I think about sea-mining in Nome.

We know there is only a 90-day window to get the gold each year, the short summer. Fortunately the sun shines 24 hrs/day then. The dredge and excavator rigs shown on the show are not sea-worthy, they must return to shore when a slight swell begins. So they work a lot less than 90 days per year. They dredge in 5 to 15 feet of water, for the most part.

The old books say, that gold is found along the shore for about 20 miles on either side of Nome.

So, what is really needed is a rig that stands on the bottom, with the operator cab above water, and above the 2-foot swell. A brief search yields the Hitachi Starfish. It can stand in 5 meters (16 ft) of water, and is designed to dig trenches for laying pipe under the sea floor.

The excavator weighs 87 tons and has a 4 cubic meter bucket. They are made to order by a Hitachi dealer in Belgium. Of course ours would need a big sluice box to riffle out the gold, but that's just an engineering detail to be addressed when the RealCent team orders our new toy.

Our operating team would ideally be four guys, in two teams, working 12-hour shifts. The teams would switch out via a skiff that carries enough fuel to top off the digger every 12 hours.

So, if an excavator can make $100,000 per day (as the show said), and we work ours around the clock, we might get $200k/day. Our operation would work the entire 90-day window, only coming ashore once per week for maintenance, like greasing all the zerks. In fact, we might be able to extend the window for a week or so.

90 days times $200k is $18,000,000, in gold. Not bad for 3-months work.

I like the name "Goldfinger" for our new toy.

Sounds like a plan. Let's all get our copper cents rounded up and get a down payment put on one of these suckers, summer's fast approaching
Silver Addict
Penny Collector Member

Postby John_doe » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:36 pm

very interesting show. i caught a re-run while at the gym. i don't have cable like you normal folk so i catch some programs at the gym. :D
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals