Counterfeit dimes now???????

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Counterfeit dimes now???????

Postby fb101 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Not the first, I've found several of these.
Pennies shaved to the size of a dime found in dime rolls.
Sorry it's blurry I only have the phone-cam at the moment.

Anybody else finding these?

fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Counterfeit dimes now???????

Postby beauanderos » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:31 pm

seems like an awful lot of effort to make nine cents. :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Bluegill » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:57 pm

I have found quite a few of them over the last few years.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby Ardent Listener » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Were any of them copper?
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby dakota1955 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:26 pm

i find one every so often
dakota1955

Postby lance » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:32 pm

A little off subject but i just found a dime in a roll from brinks...
lance
Penny Collector Member

Postby Country » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:48 pm

I got one in a Brink's roll of dimes a couple weeks ago. I've got it right in front of me; a whittled down COPPER dated 1975.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby corky569 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:17 pm

I found one the other day, it went in the copper pile!
corky569
Penny Collector Member

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:09 pm

ive got multiple coppers - even a few wheats that have been reduced

the story i was told was that they were used to cheat older vending machines
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:10 pm

When you say shaved- you mean someone actually when through the trouble to take off the outside to the point it was the same or close enough to fit into a dime roll?

Sounds like some bored guy who had too much time on his hands- hope it wasnt meant to be a scheme to make 9 cents.

Hard telling but they look like CWR, if a penny like that ever went through Brinks or some kind of machine wouldnt it kick it out before being rolled? I guess if Canadian coinage gets caught in BWR, then I guess shaved pennies can too....
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby baggerman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:45 pm

When I was a kid in junior high school many many years ago this was how we cheated the coke machines. A teller at my main bank said they took in a bunch of dime rolls a week or so ago that had dimes on the ends and everything else was shaved down pennies. They didn't catch it until the person was gone.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Z00 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:30 am

Robarons wrote:When you say shaved- you mean someone actually when through the trouble to take off the outside to the point it was the same or close enough to fit into a dime roll?

Sounds like some bored guy who had too much time on his hands- hope it wasnt meant to be a scheme to make 9 cents.
Hard telling but they look like CWR, if a penny like that ever went through Brinks or some kind of machine wouldnt it kick it out before being rolled? I guess if Canadian coinage gets caught in BWR, then I guess shaved pennies can too....

Sure could have been. 9 cents x 50 = 4.50 a roll. The dime has a copper core will a coinstar machine measure the size or the composition. How does the weight of the shaved cent compare to the weight of a dime.
Some folks will go to extremes to finagle a buck.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dannan14 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:40 am

Z00 wrote:
Robarons wrote:When you say shaved- you mean someone actually when through the trouble to take off the outside to the point it was the same or close enough to fit into a dime roll?

Sure could have been. 9 cents x 50 = 4.50 a roll. The dime has a copper core will a coinstar machine measure the size or the composition. How does the weight of the shaved cent compare to the weight of a dime.
Some folks will go to extremes to finagle a buck.

i think he means that it seems like it would take a lot of labor per 9 cents earned. If the shaver drops them in a Coinstar it would be a whole lot of labor for 8.18 cents.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:47 am

dannan14 wrote:i think he means that it seems like it would take a lot of labor per 9 cents earned. If the shaver drops them in a Coinstar it would be a whole lot of labor for 8.18 cents.

Back in the old days it would have been worth it to file them down by hand, but even now it could be profitable with the right equipment.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:29 am

I got about 30 shaved down pennies about 2 weeks ago in a bag of cents. I didn't but them back through the bank counter. I had rolled them with the other corroded zincs. I might have used them for buying a hamburger.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby PMLurker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:43 am

I have quite a few of those. I keep mine in an bag with the rest of my bent and corroded coins that jam up my Scan Coin. I roll them up and take them to the bank and tell them they're damaged and bank will return them to the mint or throw them in the trash. No sense in putting them back into the wild to come across them again.
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Seems like you wouldn't have to "shave" the penny if you could develop a dime-sized punch die in a machine shop, possibly like for a scaled-up version of a Whitney punch. Most likely would have to be bench mounted to get the leverage necessary to punch that size hole in a penny with a handheld tool.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:06 pm

I think we are coming up with an idea the mint should borrow! Buy all our coppers for 2 cents each, punch them, and VOILA! The new dime!
uthminsta

Postby frugi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:21 pm

this exact thing was reported on the evening news about 1 week ago, here in Saint Louis, MO. A local national bank, found when the cashier was closing out here station at the end of the night 20 rolls of pennies (machined rolled into dime paper), with dimes on each end of the roll........they have no idea who dropped them off, they cant identify them, but the police are treating it the same as a bank robbery, and investigating and such......it is funny you brought it up, since my wife just told me about the stroy she saw on TV (I hate TV, I dont watch that filth)
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:41 pm

Not really counterfeiting a dime but...I am not saying i did this but it was common practice in metal shop to use the bench grinder to reduce the penny to the size of a dime...coke machine didnt know any better.
Country wrote:COPPER dated 1975
in fact I think I was in metal shop then. ;)
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Chief » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 pm

I've found a couple of them while searching dimes this year. Kept the copper, dumped the zinc.
Some people out there would rather do this than make an honest buck.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby everything » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:46 am

People must be desperate. This is common. http://maplewood-brentwood.patch.com/ar ... -maplewood

Here is the link for Frugi's mention with a story to it.
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyr ... e_poke.php
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:05 pm

everything wrote:People must be desperate. This is common. http://maplewood-brentwood.patch.com/ar ... -maplewood

Here is the link for Frugi's mention with a story to it.
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyr ... e_poke.php

Desperate? No.
Stupid? Too much time on your hands? Dishonest?
Yeah. That's more like it.
fb101

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:32 pm

Brilliant. Instant 900% Profit!
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tourney64 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:48 am

It would be a felony if caught. Really stupid. I have not run across any tat I can recall. If you were to take 20 rolls of dimes to the bank, and they did write your name on the rolls, you would get caught, and for less than $90 profit you.would be committing a felony.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals