Now is Not the Time to Sell Your Bullion

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Now is Not the Time to Sell Your Bullion

Postby beauanderos » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:52 pm

The following comment is an excerpt from an email I received from Dr. Jeff Lewis:

Here's a comment posted yesterday by a reader at Bill Murphy's Le Metropole Cafe that got my attention.

Bill,

This recent long anticipated, and highly welcomed price action in gold and silver is starting to remind me of the way gold and silver started their rise to their eventual blow off back in the late 70's. Of course we are just starting to correct the massive imbalance created over the last 15 years of official suppression.

In the late 70's and early 80 we didn't start the rapid rise with 0% interest rates. We did not have massive trade imbalances. We did not have federal budget deficits amounting to a significant % of GDP. We did not have 18% + unemployment. We were not primarily a "service economy". We still made our own toasters, and TV's. We did not have years worth of single family houses in inventory unsold. We did not have three wars including one against an ill defined enemy with a name but no homeland.

We had much less government regulation. We did not have half of the workers in the US on some form of government payroll. We did not have a huge % of the population on food stamps. We did not have the preponderance of "official" lies telling us the state of the economy. We did not have huge rewards for people that couldn't pay for their overextended housing purchases. We did not have a huge avalanche of new taxes and regulations already cooked into law. We did not have half of the world wanting an alternative to the US $ as the global reserve currency. We did not have an administration bowing to and taking orders from bankers. We did not have a dumbed down, apathetic population. We did not have 100:1 fractional reserve of precious metals ignored by the population.

We did not have a dozen propaganda media outlets feeding the party line to unsuspecting private investors daily. We did not have trillion $ giveaways to their banking masters. We did not have trillion $ rip offs orchestrated by get-out-of-jail-free bankers. We did not have a world full of central bankers willing to dump their gold in an attempt to prop their paper. We did not start the 70's run with unprecedented financial stress in global finance. We did not have out of control bankers creating quadrillions of $s in fraudulent financial paper bets called derivatives. We did not have a world flooded with trillions of $ in fraudulent bonds.

The point is, it's different today. Financially, things at the start of this acceleration in PM prices are significantly different. Significantly worse. We are in serious risk of hyperinflation in the US. Back in the late 70's talk was of $1,000 gold and $50 silver. We got close to hitting both just as the bubble popped. There was a significantly more sound US financial picture then.

Today we can read predictions of gold at many tens of thousands of $ per oz... silver at thousands of $s per oz. It is indeed scary to think that these predictions of metals prices could be too low! My point is this is not the time to be thinking of taking "profit" in physical metal. Trade PM stocks if you want the "action", or if you want to realize some paper profit, but hold on to any physical you have with a death grip.

That sums it up pretty nicely, I think. Guess I'm not alone in feeling like I do. Don't sell... in the long run you'll be sorry you did. And you really don't want to hear an old man admonishing "I told you so!"Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Now is Not the Time to Sell Your Bullion

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:57 am

Excellent read, thank you. I'm definately in for the long haul now. :)
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:44 am

Yeah, talk of selling now just makes me chuckle! One other thing about the big price spike of the 80's. There was double digit inflation, prime interest rates of double digits to fight that double digit inflation, and a huge threat of war with Iran. Guess what? That threat of war with Iran is still there. Only this time, the Iranians and their proxies are very ready to deal with us in their own way. We will not knock them over like we did to all the Banana Republics without a hugh retaliation on their part.

IMHO, this price "spike" is only getting started. :D

Thanks, Beauanderous, good article.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:02 am

BTW - the article referes to three wars which I assume are Iraq, Afghanistan and ?

What other theatre are the US involved in currently?
Scotsman in residence...

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:17 am

I think he is referring to the War on Terror. The now politically incorrect action against Islamic devotees who fanatically follow their religion by bombing and savaging any weak target that cannot fight back.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:22 am

Shouldn't really narrow it down to islamic fanatacism reallty; just any loon with bombs and a grudge.
Scotsman in residence...

Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:54 am

Beau,
amen....good eye. Thanks bud.

i was seeing silver at $75-$125. that might too conservative.

i worry about the powers of the "state", meaning they confiscated gold in the 30's, and history repeats, so........

Wouldnt put it past 'em to include silver on a new hit list.

i ask myself, 'whats currency?' obviously metals, gold, silver copper and lead.

protein- beans and beef

the means to produce protein-land

heat-wood, which means a woodlot

thanks for article, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:09 am

Devil Soundwave wrote:Shouldn't really narrow it down to islamic fanatacism reallty; just any loon with bombs and a grudge.

Hahaha! Yeah, like all those loony Anglicans, and Methodists who wage "holy war" against us! :lol:

Hey, man, you asked... I answered. The rules here keep me from commenting more. Let's stay on Beau's thread topic, shall we?

Cheers,

The Sheikh
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:16 am

Where I live we're on the lookout for a Mormon terror plot. Scary stuff man.

You never know where those kids with white shirts and ties will attack from their bicycles.

This doesn't even address the growing Amish threat.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby twentybux » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:57 am

Thogey wrote:Where I live we're on the lookout for a Mormon terror plot. Scary stuff man.

You never know where those kids with white shirts and ties will attack from their bicycles.

This doesn't even address the growing Amish threat.

You got that right! Ha! :lol: Always expect the unexpected!
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:58 am

Yes, very good lads. :)

I just meant we shouldn't exclusively point to one group of loons related to one religion - there are many flavours of terrorists out there!
Scotsman in residence...

Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:03 am

We don't have a big IRA terrorist problem out here.

We have Muslims Terrorists and the the US Federal Government (IRS EPA ATF TSA etc)
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:20 am

Devil Soundwave wrote:Yes, very good lads. :)

I just meant we shouldn't exclusively point to one group of loons related to one religion - there are many flavours of terrorists out there!

Good point, Devil Soundwave.

As someone who has studied Islam from the outside for years before 9/11, I can safely say ... no, I really can't say anything here on RealCent because I may offend other readers sensitivities.

Oh, well...
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Neckro » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:33 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
Devil Soundwave wrote:Yes, very good lads. :)

Good point, Devil Soundwave.

As someone who has studied Islam from the outside for years before 9/11, I can safely say ... no, I really can't say anything here on RealCent because I may offend other readers sensitivities.

Oh, well...

The same can be said about every religion that follows a God. Don't be a hypocrite and hint that it's only 1 religion that has ever been the 'evil' one.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby Ardent Listener » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:06 pm

Let's try to keep this thread on topic (precious metals). If anyone wants to continue the terrorist/religious issue then you are welcome to move that discussion over to general discussions.
All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby coppertone » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Selling! Heck I'm still trying to acquire every piece silver I can get my fingers on......and afford of course.
coppertone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rosco » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:00 pm

coppertone wrote:Selling! Heck I'm still trying to acquire every piece silver I can get my fingers on......and afford of course.

I'm also trying but $27.00 or $28.00 per OZ for Bullion is scary.

Stack on :P :P
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby Nokozan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:44 pm

dont forget the war on drugs a silent war we send about 50 billion a year on.
Nokozan
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:08 pm

I think the three wars the writer could be alluding to would be Iraq, Afghanistan, and the War on Terror (Al Qaeda). Addressing a point that someone else made, yes... it's possible if things got so bad the gov't could attempt to confiscate again, but you can't let the concern of that unlikely event thwart you from preparing for hyperinflation. The financial protective element of prepping, via possession of precious metals and some base, is the foundation of preparedness... along with ample food, defensible shelter, and the means with which to do that. Image
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:16 pm

I think it's far more likely that, rather than confiscation, the gov't would take their unfair share in the form of taxes Imageby carefully tracking who owns the metals via 1099's and whatever other means they have for monitoring. Image
beauanderos

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:34 pm

So far as I am concerned, if we get to the point as a society where the government is going around trying to confiscate small amounts of bullion out of private homes, we would then be at the point where people are going to start a revolution anyway so I wouldn't worry about it. :P
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby aristobolus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:24 pm

The American people are far less submissive to authority than they were in the 30's; they are also more well informed via the internet. The more important thing to worry about it is safeguarding your bullion in an obscure place so that thieves do not steal it when you are away on vacation, or out even just a few hours. We have had several examples of unfortunate thefts in the news recently.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:22 pm

I really can't see anyone these days willingly giving up their own personal goods just because the government said so. That said, you can all feel free to send it my way and I'll keep it safe for you... ;)
Scotsman in residence...

Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Nokozan wrote:dont forget the war on drugs a silent war we send about 50 billion a year on.

War? That's just what it takes to keep the pols supplied.....
fb101

Postby smalltimeopn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:16 pm

Sell???
For what? For paper FRN's? HA!
smalltimeopn
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals