TD Bank Wrapped Quarter Roll

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

TD Bank Wrapped Quarter Roll

Postby Morsecode » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:08 pm

YES!!

NO!!

3000 Post Rant

Interesting. Follow the money trail:

TD manages to purchase their coin from a supplier (Brinks, Wells Fargo are the major players here) that obviously does not screen their bags for foreign.

TD sells these rolls to customers. Unless you open the roll at the teller window they will not redeem or replace any foreign (including Canadian) that they just sold to you.

Say the customer later brings those 40 coins back to Penny Arcade. The credit slip (for the roll pictured above) will read $8.75. The 5 Bahama quarters will be captured by the magnet.

Here's where it gets good...

Inevitably, some busy-body manager will attempt to reprimand me for lifting out the basket to retrieve coins from the magnet. This happened today. It got ugly fast...my escalation. More on that in a minute.

Remember, I paid $10 for a roll of their quarters. They're not only attempting to redeem them at a 12.5% discount...they want to maintain possession of the slugs so that they can presumably return them to their coin supplier to start the cycle over again. In other words, the outgoing coin is sold unscreened - incoming coin is scrutinized.

Naturally, 5 in a roll is a rarity, but I'm seeing more and more singles and doubles in quarter and dime rolls. It's a pretty tidy scam if you think about it: not really bad enough to get any one person too upset over it if they only got a roll or two per year. I'm getting 6+ each week. Maybe losing $2 to $4 weekly.

Ok, so I consider it a cost of doing business. The business of taking money out of TD banks that doesn't necessarily belong to me, but is up for grabs. I happily accept that minor "fee" since what I take greatly exceeds what I pay. By a long shot.

What I can't live with are these bank drones who want to upset the arrangement. One of them got in my face today and I had to back her up with a cold stare and a wtf is your problem? I know this branch has employees that are pocketing the money, I just don't know exactly who is benefitting. I've got a 3 year history with them, and this isn't the first time we've knocked heads. I accused her of intentionally blocking the reject chute by improperly placing the half dollar bag in such a way that causes coins to back up the pipe. This branch is notorious for that. She denied it, and I loudly repeated myself. I told her to open the front...let's see that it's not blocked. She refused.

A teller who is probably the only one there not in on the scam came over with the key, and despite the manager telling her not to, she opened it up. Surprise, surprise. There was the 50 cent bag covering the coin chute, a bunch of money plugged up. I had to laugh, and two other customers had a good look too.

The teller wanted to give it to me but I said, " No, go ahead, give it to her (the manager)...she's the one getting it anyway". Priceless. My parting advice to her was just as satisfying..."Honey, don't ever open your mouth to me again". You could've heard a pin drop while I was cashing out.

So I probably burned a bridge there...but I'm going back next week any way. I love banking. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Morsecode on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: TD Bank Wrapped Quarter Roll

Postby Thogey » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:27 pm

:lol: :lol:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby silverstacker » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Heart attack
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Morsecode wrote:The teller wanted to give it to me but I said, " No, go ahead, give it to her (the manager)...she's the one getting it anyway". Priceless. My parting advice to her was just as satisfying..."Honey, don't ever open your mouth to me again". You could've heard a pin drop while I was cashing out.

So I probably burned a bridge there...but I'm going back next week any way. I love banking. :mrgreen:

Huzzah, Morse. A total coup.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:26 pm

My first thought was Canadian Quarters...at least you didn't get Phillipines 1 Peso coins
(same size, just slightly thicker).

This is part of why I don't sort quarters or dimes (though it's all customer wrapped rolls
up here), too much of a hit if I get a (less valuable) foreign coin or a short roll.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:28 pm

First thing I noticed was the narrow reeds.

Great rant, though!
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Engineer wrote:First thing I noticed was the narrow reeds.

Great rant, though!

Yep, I sorta did notice that right away, too. Plus they're thicker than US quarters. In the first half-second though, you only see the white :(
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby DaMangRon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:13 am

I don't think the manager or teller is taking the change...I visit several TD coin machines (there are 10 of them within 20 miles of my job)and I've found the same thing you're talking about with the coin shoot blocked by the half dollar bag. I think its not done intentionally, it's just done by laziness/lack of attention to detail.

I love it when the shoot is blocked...it's like hitting the jackpot on a slot machine!

On a different note, more flies with honey. I am always extra friendly to the tellers and I like to hand out $5 or $10 Dunkin Doughnuts gift cards to the nicer tellers. Not only does that make them remember you, but some of them actually save the foreign stuff for me. I went to the bank today and the teller came right over and handed me a TD cash envelope half full with free foreign goodies. The tellers have saved me red and blue seals, star notes, $2 bills, Morgan and Peace dollars all for face value.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:36 am

Bring these bitches gift cards? The only thing I'd give them is a concussion. At this branch they are certainly covering the reject chute on purpose, trust me on that.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby DaMangRon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:26 am

Morsecode wrote:Bring these bitches gift cards? The only thing I'd give them is a concussion. At this branch they are certainly covering the reject chute on purpose, trust me on that.

Haha...ok then. Maybe just avoid this branch...Enless there's tons of free stuff there...then maybe I'd keep going there and fight it out with them :) Not sure if it's worth the trouble.
DaMangRon
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:01 pm

DaMangRon wrote:Haha...ok then. Maybe just avoid this branch...Enless there's tons of free stuff there...then maybe I'd keep going there and fight it out with them :) Not sure if it's worth the trouble.

By the way...Happy Birthday :thumbup:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby FatherRosado » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:33 am

I thought you got an awesome roll. Too bad they were Canadian. I'm thinking about closing my td bank account just because its too far away.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Round 2

It's six days later and I decide to go back, but without coins to count. I figured I'd just go in and stand in line to make a cash deposit and if anyone tried to get confrontational I'd act all surprised and go, "What coins? I don't have any coins..."

No luck on that, even though virtually all the same personnel are there that were there during last Sunday's Smackdown.

The girl I thought was just a teller must be something more than that because she signals me over to her window rattling a cup full of coins. "You like the silver ones, right?", she said, not making a secret of it. "And these other big ones got stuck inside the machine yesterday...you want them, too?" :thumbup: :mrgreen:

If she wasn't already wearing a wedding ring we'd be talking about the future Mrs Morsecode. Twelve clad Ikes and 4.50 face 90%
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby MatthewsTech » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Morsecode wrote:Round 2

It's six days later and I decide to go back, but without coins to count. I figured I'd just go in and stand in line to make a cash deposit and if anyone tried to get confrontational I'd act all surprised and go, "What coins? I don't have any coins..."

No luck on that, even though virtually all the same personnel are there that were there during last Sunday's Smackdown.

The girl I thought was just a teller must be something more than that because she signals me over to her window rattling a cup full of coins. "You like the silver ones, right?", she said, not making a secret of it. "And these other big ones got stuck inside the machine yesterday...you want them, too?" :thumbup: :mrgreen:

If she wasn't already wearing a wedding ring we'd be talking about the future Mrs Morsecode. Twelve clad Ikes and 4.50 face 90%

What a score!!!! I recently brought cookies to my bank where they've been hooking me up with rolled coin. hopefully someday they hook me up like that!
1% Cash Back on Bullion from Ebay @ ebates: http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=EmU8DkL62%2BPQi2w8e28nMQ%3D%3D&eeid=26471 (referral link)

Plus earn even more at most online retailers.
MatthewsTech
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:44 am

Squeaky wheel gets the grease!!! :clap:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:58 am

:thumbup: :thumbup: Sweet!!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Flintlock » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:13 am

I find that bribery is very effective. I've been buttering up the tellers at my local branch for several years and they all know me really well now. I'll give them cards on holidays with a few scratch tickets in them, maybe some candy on valentine's day, etc.

I deal in silver and numismatics so they keep an eye out for me on several different fronts, and last year it finally paid off. I got a call from the manager that a customer had come in and deposited a $1000 bill (after they asked if it was real and still legal tender). I couldn't get down there fast enough, needless to say. It looks like I'll be getting some pretty decent Christmas gifts for them this year...
Flintlock

Postby Morsecode » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:37 pm

I have 14 branches to contend with. Two of them get the occaisonal hot chocolate or lotto treatment. The others I consider combatants in the Great Coin War.

Awesome G note. But I thought the Fed required them to be turned in for destruction if presented to a bank..? I could easily be wrong on that. A google inquiry didn't confirm or deny. I'm really curious because if they (tellers) are allowed to trade them for circulating currency I'm going to put out some feelers.

I had a nice crisp, store bought one some years ago, but it would be great to get another for face value.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby Flintlock » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:43 am

They are supposed to be returned to the Fed if someone deposits one, however there is no way for the fed to know that they ever got one, because a $1000 cash deposit into someone's account doesn't specify the denomination of bills deposited. So a savvy bank manager can switch it out for regular bills if he so chooses. Thankfully my branch had one of those managers...
Flintlock

Postby 93_Confirmed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:57 am

What's the numi value on a $1,000 bill?
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby Flintlock » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:10 am

Depending on Condition, anywhere form $1500 to $6000, but you average run of the mill circulated one will be $2250-$2500 usually.
Flintlock

Postby 93_Confirmed » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Flintlock wrote:Depending on Condition, anywhere form $1500 to $6000, but you average run of the mill circulated one will be $2250-$2500 usually.

Wow - that's an awesome flip! You would think the owner of the bill would have checked the value before cashing it in.
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Postby Flintlock » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:19 pm

The story that the bank manager gave me was that the owner had found the $1000 bill while cleaning out a dead relative's home and didn't even know if it was real. Once they came to the bank and found out it was still legal tender, they couldn't wait to deposit it, because they felt so fortunate to have found a free $1000. Sometimes I have to try and put myself in the shoes of someone with no PM/numismatic background, like the people who dump jars full of 90% and 40% kennedy halfs into coin counters and so on...
Flintlock

Postby Morsecode » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Flintlock wrote: Sometimes I have to try and put myself in the shoes of someone with no PM/numismatic background, like the people who dump jars full of 90% and 40% kennedy halfs into coin counters and so on...

The world needs more of those people :mrgreen:
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby cooyon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Morsecode wrote:
Flintlock wrote: Sometimes I have to try and put myself in the shoes of someone with no PM/numismatic background, like the people who dump jars full of 90% and 40% kennedy halfs into coin counters and so on...

The world needs more of those people :mrgreen:

South-central PA does for sure :lol: :lol: :lol:
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals