a rush for the exits?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

a rush for the exits?

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:37 am

I use Ebay for any purchases I might make in the Ag.

I know some guys here, despise Ebay, and I appreciate that, we all have our own methods.

I come from a pit trading background, thru the 80's and 90's, was on the trading floor during the 87 crash, was on the floor during many a squeeze, and protracted bull/bear markets in the ag markets, that I specialized in, both specs and hedgers, and I noticed this:

lets say we were in a bear market, and she started flatlining for a good spell. Then you would see "paper" (trades from off floor traders) come in heavy on the sell side, but guys in the pit would snap up these sell orders...very quietly, not a lot of noise, just quiet accumulation of whatever commodity was in this condition.

(oh btw, side note, as of 2 July, the CME announced that all open outcry pit trading will END...there's about 300 traders and clerks left in Chicago, and 75 in NY....everything will be done electronically, just one more sign of how WRONG things have gotten, but that's a conversation for another time or maybe never.)

let me go back to my original posit....when you saw this capitulation, lets say on the sell side, with a little questioning and digging, you could ascertain the "quality" of the selling, and if it was the "widow and orphan" crowd, it was a good chance the market had bottomed.

Now I keep my eye on the silver roll offerings on Ebay, both 90's and .999's (or .9999's) and in the last two weeks, I've noriced a very definite uptick in the number of both quality rolls of 90's (and ASE's) but they're NOT coming from the online stores, and if they are, it smells like the dealer paid the melt, and is offering +7-14 over melt for the 90's, and +$3 to $5 over the "board" for .999 ASE's.

its pronounced this uptick in offerings, you see lots of 90's, very frequently 63's and 64's, lots of Washington and Kennedy's. You could say, "how do you know?"......kind of intuition, because i'll see a guy with maybe 200 stars, cluster offer 4 rolls of say 2008 ASE's with a buy it now AND a best offer.....almost like they're tired of waiting for the pop,and MIGHT need to raise cash...I don't know, but my gut tells me, that after the first crash, Lehman 2008, they were introduced to Ag, picked up silver, sat on it for 7 years, look at the board at 17, and think "eff it, this is going nowhere, all the things I read about PM's being the place to be as an investment are bunk, I need cash, I cant wait".

that's what my gut instinct tells me. BUT.....to look at the other side, the global economy is a nightmare, teetering on a precipice, where the fall or implosion will be to much larger than Lehman 2008, which DID carry silver down to $9 a toz. There's two prime indicators I watch to show me the health of the global economy....the Baltic Dry Index, which is an index of shipping activity, last I looked the other day, we were making all time lows in that index, 650....on par with 1986....I also watch Monetary Velocity (MV) the rate at which money flows thru the economy (American)....that chart is a spike down, very steep descent.

Now the 'black swan" MIGHT be Greece, I don't know....so if we DO implode, AND silver DOES crack, then all these guys offering rolls on Ebay will look like geniuses, and we go back down to $9 a toz silver, but have you noticed in the last month or so, on the board, that these "bear raids" on both Au and Ag, aren't succeeding as much as they did in prior years?...PLUS from all we've been reading, physical demand GLOBALLY has been VERY robust.

one more point, silver and gold in many foreign currencies is trading at all times highs.

Now I consider myself fairly clever, (although I can frequently be called a "dunceski) but i'm just one middle class guy, (who has got out of the urban/suburban/exurban areas, and live in the sticks) and i'll tell ya, ...for the life of me, I cant figure out what the "game" is, except to say that everyday I get more and more evidence that our leadership, and global leadership have devolved into sociopaths....no joke.

about 4 days ago, after market close, I was sitting on my couch, looking out at a snow covered pasture, and it hit me, World War Three has already started....not the total blaze of such a conflict, but the kindling has been lit. Y'know, I could go into detail, but you guys can read the signs.

I believe we hit a bottom in PM's, and I believe we are quite near a nasty world conflict, that could impact our beautiful country, though I do hope beyond hope, it doesn't devolve into the "unthinkable".

sad thing is, it didn't have to be this way, but what can you do?.....except of course, plot a course to insulate as best as one can.

okay I said enough....n
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: a rush for the exits?

Postby brian0918 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:45 am

You sure the uptick in 90% and .999 listings on ebay isn't just from the fakes flooding in from China? I could see guys with very little feedback buying a bunch to make a quick profit. I hope you're testing everything you're buying - weight, dimensions, magnet slide.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:41 am

brian0918 wrote:You sure the uptick in 90% and .999 listings on ebay isn't just from the fakes flooding in from China? I could see guys with very little feedback buying a bunch to make a quick profit. I hope you're testing everything you're buying - weight, dimensions, magnet slide.

with the exception of one seller offering a 2014 roll of ASE's...at a starting bid of .001 (which is now 10.50, and fuzzy photos) all of the rolls are Wash, Kenn's and Franks from sellers with minimum 99.9 pos ratings.

and there's one seller in the past week, that's just been offering DOZENS of circ 1950's era Franklins ($10 rolls) at 16 and a half times face, "buy it now". (he also has got a LOT of 60's Franklin as well, everything at 16 times face plus).....goes by the name of "barber"....his shop is called the "Barber Shop"...if I had an extra 2-3k, I might have picked him off, coz it smells like the idiot son selling the now deceased granpappies carefully accumulated hoard of 90's, but i'm 75% 90's to 25% .999's ASES, and I want to raise my stack to 50/50, and have developed a new found love affair with the Royal Canadian Mint....that's what i'm into, Maples, especially the new radial obverses....beautiful coin.

there's another seller, "bezel-boy", offering a lot of proof and GEM/BU's in Wash's, I done bidness with him, he's square, but his problem is that he ramps the starting bid, got a bunch of stuff at 23-25 times face....what I bought from him were a bunch of 58P Wash's ...proofs in cello, and some rolls of GEM/BU's.....58P coz its a LOW mint number, sometimes I go numi, sometimes instrinsic.

anyway, appreciate the word of caution, I weigh, magnet, look at every single coin passes these portals...."trust but verify" as the Gipper said.

in all my dealings only ONCE did I get a fugazi, and it was inadvertent, bot a roll of 74 "brown" proof Ikes....the problem with the brown Ikes is this....for some reason the Mint , in all their "wisdom", minted both 40% silver and clads in the 1973 and 1974 s proof Ikes.....luckily I weigh EVERYTHING, and one coin weighed in at 22.6 grams, as opposed to the 24.6 gms a 40% silver Ike weighs, so I looked up mintage numbers and found out this factoid, that's why I don't go near those two years of Ike proofs.....who needs the hassle?

as far as I know the Chinese like to counterfeit the ASES (via alibaba) and the 21 Morgan's.....although i'm sure they might do other high value numi's....have a good one brother, n.

just for a little levity, everytime I open a new roll of maples, I hear this ditty:

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:10 am

It's not just the high value stuff they're counterfeiting now. They have fakes for common date dimes, quarters, halves.

These are all fake:

Copied from here: http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic ... ke#p275683
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:18 pm

neilgin1 wrote:everyday I get more and more evidence that our leadership, and global leadership have devolved into sociopaths

Love that line.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:50 pm

pennypicker wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:everyday I get more and more evidence that our leadership, and global leadership have devolved into sociopaths

Love that line.

Yes, and several others.

Neil, keep posting.

8-)
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Thank you Neil for your thoughts and ideas that are the result of your awareness and life experiences. Seeing the world thru your eyes give my own a better vision of what's down the line.

neilgin1 wrote:that's what my gut instinct tells me. BUT.....to look at the other side, the global economy is a nightmare, teetering on a precipice, where the fall or implosion will be to much larger than Lehman 2008, which DID carry silver down to $9 a toz. There's two prime indicators I watch to show me the health of the global economy....the Baltic Dry Index, which is an index of shipping activity, last I looked the other day, we were making all time lows in that index, 650....on par with 1986....I also watch Monetary Velocity (MV) the rate at which money flows thru the economy (American)....that chart is a spike down, very steep descent.

All true and all pointing to deflation. Which also makes me wonder how we could possibly have an improving economy as shown with an increase in jobs and in take home pay. Sorry, I'm not seeing it here in upstate NY. And globally, things are worse than they are here, no doubt. Failure to see the inflation (let's not debate the numbers here) is a probable reason to sell off some PMs. Especially if you can still slice a small profit off it.

neilgin1 wrote:Now the 'black swan" MIGHT be Greece, I don't know....so if we DO implode, AND silver DOES crack, then all these guys offering rolls on Ebay will look like geniuses, and we go back down to $9 a toz silver, but have you noticed in the last month or so, on the board, that these "bear raids" on both Au and Ag, aren't succeeding as much as they did in prior years?...PLUS from all we've been reading, physical demand GLOBALLY has been VERY robust.

one more point, silver and gold in many foreign currencies is trading at all times highs.

Even today (according to Kitco) about 1/2 of the decrease in gold price was from strengthening of the dollar. And so we are seeing a flight to safety via the U$D. And while I have been thinking about selling on some "highs," I've not and don't intend to except to maybe move some to a higher quality Ag/AU, as you already only do. The implosion can't be ruled out but, I don't see it as Greece. There is to much focus on Greece. A black swan is something you are not expecting. We have a lot of expectation of Greece, one way or the other. It could very well be currency failure but I'd pose a guess of the Euro from the periphery nations shedding it, much to disbelief of both the US and China.

neilgin1 wrote:Now I consider myself fairly clever, (although I can frequently be called a "dunceski) but i'm just one middle class guy, (who has got out of the urban/suburban/exurban areas, and live in the sticks) and i'll tell ya, ...for the life of me, I cant figure out what the "game" is, except to say that everyday I get more and more evidence that our leadership, and global leadership have devolved into sociopaths....no joke.

Sociopaths LOL, yea true it's no joke but, I'm reading a book right now that poses the argument that as those in power in the Empire gain ever more power, their behavior will continue to devolve into psychological and sociological pathologies. Which means they are already displaying such behavior. You just happen be aware, Neil. I'll have to edit this later when I find the source to better reflect what I'm talking about.

neilgin1 wrote:about 4 days ago, after market close, I was sitting on my couch, looking out at a snow covered pasture, and it hit me, World War Three has already started....not the total blaze of such a conflict, but the kindling has been lit. Y'know, I could go into detail, but you guys can read the signs.

I believe we hit a bottom in PM's, and I believe we are quite near a nasty world conflict, that could impact our beautiful country, though I do hope beyond hope, it doesn't devolve into the "unthinkable".

okay I said enough....n

The deflation and falling currencies are more obvious, so this is spoken like a true contrarian. If true, then the greatest Empire in all history will be up to it's elbows in it. And it's because we are the greatest Empire in all history that we will be greatly involved. It's what Empires do. Additionally, if the deflation and depressed currencies are the gas on the fire to be the cause then continued stacking and accumulation of quality PMs thru the drop in price IS the right move.

As things continue to deteriorate, the rest of the world will seek continued safety in the U$D, but as our involvement causes our own situation to deteriorate the final flight to the safety of PMs will happen. At this point, you'd better be in a self-sustained community/region if it is lucky enough to pass unscathed.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:09 pm

neilgin1 wrote:I use Ebay for any purchases I might make in the Ag.

I know some guys here, despise Ebay, and I appreciate that, we all have our own methods.

I come from a pit trading background, thru the 80's and 90's, was on the trading floor during the 87 crash, was on the floor during many a squeeze, and protracted bull/bear markets in the ag markets, that I specialized in, both specs and hedgers, and I noticed this:

lets say we were in a bear market, and she started flatlining for a good spell. Then you would see "paper" (trades from off floor traders) come in heavy on the sell side, but guys in the pit would snap up these sell orders...very quietly, not a lot of noise, just quiet accumulation of whatever commodity was in this condition.

(oh btw, side note, as of 2 July, the CME announced that all open outcry pit trading will END...there's about 300 traders and clerks left in Chicago, and 75 in NY....everything will be done electronically, just one more sign of how WRONG things have gotten, but that's a conversation for another time or maybe never.)

let me go back to my original posit....when you saw this capitulation, lets say on the sell side, with a little questioning and digging, you could ascertain the "quality" of the selling, and if it was the "widow and orphan" crowd, it was a good chance the market had bottomed.

Now I keep my eye on the silver roll offerings on Ebay, both 90's and .999's (or .9999's) and in the last two weeks, I've noriced a very definite uptick in the number of both quality rolls of 90's (and ASE's) but they're NOT coming from the online stores, and if they are, it smells like the dealer paid the melt, and is offering +7-14 over melt for the 90's, and +$3 to $5 over the "board" for .999 ASE's.

its pronounced this uptick in offerings, you see lots of 90's, very frequently 63's and 64's, lots of Washington and Kennedy's. You could say, "how do you know?"......kind of intuition, because i'll see a guy with maybe 200 stars, cluster offer 4 rolls of say 2008 ASE's with a buy it now AND a best offer.....almost like they're tired of waiting for the pop,and MIGHT need to raise cash...I don't know, but my gut tells me, that after the first crash, Lehman 2008, they were introduced to Ag, picked up silver, sat on it for 7 years, look at the board at 17, and think "eff it, this is going nowhere, all the things I read about PM's being the place to be as an investment are bunk, I need cash, I cant wait".

that's what my gut instinct tells me. BUT.....to look at the other side, the global economy is a nightmare, teetering on a precipice, where the fall or implosion will be to much larger than Lehman 2008, which DID carry silver down to $9 a toz. There's two prime indicators I watch to show me the health of the global economy....the Baltic Dry Index, which is an index of shipping activity, last I looked the other day, we were making all time lows in that index, 650....on par with 1986....I also watch Monetary Velocity (MV) the rate at which money flows thru the economy (American)....that chart is a spike down, very steep descent.

Now the 'black swan" MIGHT be Greece, I don't know....so if we DO implode, AND silver DOES crack, then all these guys offering rolls on Ebay will look like geniuses, and we go back down to $9 a toz silver, but have you noticed in the last month or so, on the board, that these "bear raids" on both Au and Ag, aren't succeeding as much as they did in prior years?...PLUS from all we've been reading, physical demand GLOBALLY has been VERY robust.

Now I consider myself fairly clever, (although I can frequently be called a "dunceski) but i'm just one middle class guy, (who has got out of the urban/suburban/exurban areas, and live in the sticks) and i'll tell ya, ...for the life of me, I cant figure out what the "game" is, except to say that everyday I get more and more evidence that our leadership, and global leadership have devolved into sociopaths....no joke.

about 4 days ago, after market close, I was sitting on my couch, looking out at a snow covered pasture, and it hit me, World War Three has already started....not the total blaze of such a conflict, but the kindling has been lit. Y'know, I could go into detail, but you guys can read the signs.

sad thing is, it didn't have to be this way, but what can you do?.....except of course, plot a course to insulate as best as one can.

okay I said enough....n

Well said. :clap: I've been thinking very similar thoughts on a certain scale and the one thing I hadn't considered is that the beginning of WW3 is already upon us just in a different form. Just like the difference between terrorism with casualties that we have all been hearing about and the new new cyber terrorism. Both terrorism to individuals with one being physical and the other being financial.

This could very well be the case of a long drawn out WW3 that is slowly starting. The unraveling or the "black swan" is coming and whether it's Greece or some other event my feeling is that the first domino is at a 45 degree angle and it's just a matter of time before it starts. Oh......I also live in the sticks :thumbup:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Morsecode wrote:
pennypicker wrote:

Love that line.

Yes, and several others.

Neil, keep posting.

8-)

Morse, both you and Penny honor me to a degree that touches my heart and soul, no bs.

in the what?...last year?...took me online profile down 90%, this is only forum I've "kept", and a spooky thing happened about 4 hours ago, AFTER I wrote the OP....it never happened before on this laptop.....when I went on two sites, the Guardian, and one other I forget, a warning came up from the bottom of the screen, "the website is trying to find your location"....and asking me if that's okay"

whats that?...i'm not trying to make myself more than I am, but that was the first time in a long time, I wrote about HALF of what I feel, and then I get that?...."where's my location?"....and it doesn't "skeer" me, it makes me furious....and when I wrote "sociopath", I wasn't trying to funny or flippant, these "leaders" of ours tick off all the boxes that indicate sociopathic behavior.

but aside from us, endeavoring to SOMEHOW keep our families safe, via wise asset (PM's) allocation, on Monday morning, the big topic of conversation is Pete Carrols end zone play calling, while half the world is aflame......wtf is that? (excuse my "wtf", it just drives me crazy)

Liberty, Freedom, True Justice is a RESPONSIBILTY and it seems a vast number of our dear fellow citizens care not to remain awake, aware, vigilant....to close, on an up note, you bring warmth into my broken heart, that i'm not alone in these concerns, God bless you both, my brothers, n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:37 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Thank you Neil for your thoughts and ideas that are the result of your awareness and life experiences. Seeing the world thru your eyes give my own a better vision of what's down the line.

neilgin1 wrote:that's what my gut instinct tells me. BUT.....to look at the other side, the global economy is a nightmare, teetering on a precipice, where the fall or implosion will be to much larger than Lehman 2008, which DID carry silver down to $9 a toz. There's two prime indicators I watch to show me the health of the global economy....the Baltic Dry Index, which is an index of shipping activity, last I looked the other day, we were making all time lows in that index, 650....on par with 1986....I also watch Monetary Velocity (MV) the rate at which money flows thru the economy (American)....that chart is a spike down, very steep descent.

All true and all pointing to deflation. Which also makes me wonder how we could possibly have an improving economy as shown with an increase in jobs and in take home pay. Sorry, I'm not seeing it here in upstate NY. And globally, things are worse than they are here, no doubt. Failure to see the inflation (let's not debate the numbers here) is a probable reason to sell off some PMs. Especially if you can still slice a small profit off it.

neilgin1 wrote:Now the 'black swan" MIGHT be Greece, I don't know....so if we DO implode, AND silver DOES crack, then all these guys offering rolls on Ebay will look like geniuses, and we go back down to $9 a toz silver, but have you noticed in the last month or so, on the board, that these "bear raids" on both Au and Ag, aren't succeeding as much as they did in prior years?...PLUS from all we've been reading, physical demand GLOBALLY has been VERY robust.

Even today (according to Kitco) about 1/2 of the decrease in gold price was from strengthening of the dollar. And so we are seeing a flight to safety via the U$D. And while I have been thinking about selling on some "highs," I've not and don't intend to except to maybe move some to a higher quality Ag/AU, as you already only do. The implosion can't be ruled out but, I don't see it as Greece. There is to much focus on Greece. A black swan is something you are not expecting. We have a lot of expectation of Greece, one way or the other. It could very well be currency failure but I'd pose a guess of the Euro from the periphery nations shedding it, much to disbelief of both the US and China.

neilgin1 wrote:Now I consider myself fairly clever, (although I can frequently be called a "dunceski) but i'm just one middle class guy, (who has got out of the urban/suburban/exurban areas, and live in the sticks) and i'll tell ya, ...for the life of me, I cant figure out what the "game" is, except to say that everyday I get more and more evidence that our leadership, and global leadership have devolved into sociopaths....no joke.

Sociopaths LOL, yea true it's no joke but, I'm reading a book right now that poses the argument that as those in power in the Empire gain ever more power, their behavior will continue to devolve into psychological and sociological pathologies. Which means they are already displaying such behavior. You just happen be aware, Neil. I'll have to edit this later when I find the source to better reflect what I'm talking about.

neilgin1 wrote:about 4 days ago, after market close, I was sitting on my couch, looking out at a snow covered pasture, and it hit me, World War Three has already started....not the total blaze of such a conflict, but the kindling has been lit. Y'know, I could go into detail, but you guys can read the signs.

okay I said enough....n

The deflation and falling currencies are more obvious, so this is spoken like a true contrarian. If true, then the greatest Empire in all history will be up to it's elbows in it. And it's because we are the greatest Empire in all history that we will be greatly involved. It's what Empires do. Additionally, if the deflation and depressed currencies are the gas on the fire to be the cause then continued stacking and accumulation of quality PMs thru the drop in price IS the right move.

As things continue to deteriorate, the rest of the world will seek continued safety in the U$D, but as our involvement causes our own situation to deteriorate the final flight to the safety of PMs will happen. At this point, you'd better be in a self-sustained community/region if it is lucky enough to pass unscathed.

Johnny BEE! long time no post to! Thank YOU for even responding AND giving me your valuable take as well, which I glean much from.

You're right Greece.....too obvious to be the black swan.

Probably the EU periphery, as you pointed out

Gosh John, the way I was raised, developed politically, I always believed the USA is (was?) a Republic.....who would WANT Empire except a gaggle of power lusting, money worshipping sociopaths?....I, as assume you and the rest of the guys here, are thinking of our CHILDREN, (and grandchildren's) future, or God forbid, lack of it.

its late, so......Upper state huh?....I been reading about what you guys north been going thru there.....Constitutionals perverts the lot of 'em, Schummers the worst, imo.....but at least the country up there is beautiful....oh, its good to hear from you, n
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:43 pm

S-Stack, you're in the sticks too!

only place to be....imo.

I would respond to the topic of the coming war, buts it late, and i'm "tarred", so instead, this song is for YOU, and others that claim its "message".

I know I've posted before, but its one of my "anthems"....enjoy and sleep well, n.

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby fansubs_ca » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:35 am

neilgin1 wrote:in the what?...last year?...took me online profile down 90%, this is only forum I've "kept", and a spooky thing happened about 4 hours ago, AFTER I wrote the OP....it never happened before on this laptop.....when I went on two sites, the Guardian, and one other I forget, a warning came up from the bottom of the screen, "the website is trying to find your location"....and asking me if that's okay"

whats that?...i'm not trying to make myself more than I am, but that was the first time in a long time, I wrote about HALF of what I feel, and then I get that?...."where's my location?"

I've seen that before but I can't remember at what site/sites so it's not targeted at
you specifically. I think it's so they can better target ads relevant to you. (No point
running an ad for a place so far away you wouldn't consider going there.) I think the
asking of permission might be Google (are you using Chrome?) asking for the OK to
give The Guardian (or their ad network) a ballpark location based on Google's database.
I'm assuming there is something built into modern browsers enabling sites to request
certain information. I'm a bit unsure as I'm a bit unfamiliar with the current HTML
and any extensions added onto it. (I still hand code my own web sites in a kinda 1997
style. Nor do I really have that much reason to care exactly where the viewers are,
this is the internet where the whole world is supposed to be equal, maybe annother
1997 idea I have. ^_-)

I think Google is refining their geo-locating beyond the tradtional levels.

Some sites use the crudest method and geo-locate based on the WHOIS of the ISP
which in the old days of small dial up providers being most common would usually
yield the right city a lot of the time. (Though it does make every customer of Shaw
appear to be in Calgary, Calgary has got to look way bigger than it is to them since
Shaw is the largest cable provider in Western Canada. ^_-) This is more than good
enough if you only care what country people are in as very few end users are assigned
IP addresses from multi-national networks.

Some more refined versions look through the reverse DNS or other clues to figure
out which city people are in but sometimes reverse DNS is missing, contains no
usefull location information or the ISPs re-configure their networks and re-assign
IP address blocks from one city to annother so this isn't always accurate.

The last few times I've went to Google maps I've noticed it seems to initially default
to showing a map somewhere in the right quadrant of my city. I think what they are
doing is when they do get a location from someone they keep track of the IP address
it is associated with. Since most cable/DSL providers assign IP blocks somewhat by
neighborhood (which makes for more efficient IP routing within their network) if
Google does see a cluster of people (out of those who did share their location) in the
same general area all in the same block of addresses (whateve size block that is)
they assume anyone in that block is somewhere in that area. So the more people
that share their location which enables Google (or annother organization) to corelate
a location to an IP address, the more refined that database will be.

I should go to the library and see where Google maps thinks that access is from.
The reason is I know all the public access computers for internet browsing in the
entire Winnipeg Public Library system goes through one of 2 proxy server addresses
ragardless of what part of the city it's being accessed from. (2 different computers
at the same location may even be configured for the different ones so they can't
even effectively divide the city in half that way. ^_-) I only know this because I
was testing a web site from there because I wanted to see how it looked on different
computers other than the ones I owned and I kept track of where the access came
from when I got back to my server.

198.163.53.10 bess-proxy.city.winnipeg.mb.ca
198.163.53.11 bess-proxy02.city.winnipeg.mb.ca

A few other addresses in the same /29 (block of 8 IP addresses) were used for
some other library related servers but that's all the "public" IP addresses that are
used for the whole library system. (The actuall workstations are probably assigned
private IP addresses that aren't routed outside the city's network as they don't need
"public" address space.)

Geo-locating in this sense won't ever get down to a specific street address unless you
specifically give it to them or your ISP specifically gives it to them. Law enforcement
typically has to contact the ISP when they want an actual physical location that is
associated with an IP address. (The exception is if you have your own IP block from
a RIR or your ISP "SWIPs" an entry to a RIR for the sub block you use in which case
an address will show up directly in WHOIS, assignments less than a /29 won't be
"SWIP"ed.) If you are a typical residential cable modem/DSL user who uses 1-4
public IP addreses you shouldn't ever show up in a RIRs WHOIS database.

The reason for ISPs "SWIP"ing (larger) customer data to the RIRs is they need to
demonstrate sufficient usage of currently assigned address space before they can
apply to be assigned more address space. (IP address space assignment is a lot
more bureaucratic than domain name assignment...most of the time...some TLDs
can be pretty bureaucratic too. ^_-)
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:50 am

fansubs,
whew! thanks.....guess I gotta go cancel the order for the backhoe and excavator, to dig out a new commo bunker....lol.

again, thanks for the mustard rub, n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 am

These kind of posts are my favorite from my friend, Neil.

Clear and concise, lack of jargon. Any jargon is thoroughly explained.

Well thought through, inspiring and terrifying. A call to reveille. I once was awake, but now I'm napping. Sometimes Neil is the canary in the coal mine. Thanks for the reminder.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:31 am

neilgin1 wrote:S-Stack, you're in the sticks too!

only place to be....imo.

I would respond to the topic of the coming war, buts it late, and i'm "tarred", so instead, this song is for YOU, and others that claim its "message".

I know I've posted before, but its one of my "anthems"....enjoy and sleep well, n.

Couldn't agree more. Says it all in the opening text and the song. Thanks
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:14 am

Andy Hoffman's latest audio blog - "The Big One Has Started - Protect Yourself Now!"
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:17 pm

68Camaro wrote:Andy Hoffman's latest audio blog - "The Big One Has Started - Protect Yourself Now!"

68, my friend, thank you, and as always, I do remember you in my prayers, and my heart....gonna listen to that now, sitting up in the eagles nest, being lazy. Y'know all this talk got me going so much, I just bought a roll of 2015 Maples,at 3 over, from my newest favorite dealer, "modern Coin Mart", I like those guys, they had the slabbed ASE rolls I bought,and the first roll of '14 Maples with the radial obverses I bought....professional and square, just the way I like. they're on Ebay.

Stack, you are most welcome, I do like that opening quote, so much so, i'm gonna send you another ANTHEM.

One Bite, good brother, your words are balm in gilead for a soul that sometimes thinks I aint served ENOUGH...its not that I "fish" for compliments, but to hear that I might be of some ...USE...man, that's gold to an aching heart.

Hey, didja all notice that both German Pm Merkel and French PM went to Moscow to talk peace with Putin?....so why didnt Obama, Biden or Kerry go?

tell ya why...Putin didn't start the mess, the previous three i mentioned did, and Putin wont kneel like all the others did....

i'm gonna post that song for Stack, and all others, then i'm gonna post a bit of a film, a encounter with Col Kurtz, when i was young, i didn't understand why Kurtz went mad....now i do, don't worry, we're gonna get thru this, God save the Republic and God love you all, n.

this next clip says everything:

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:16 pm

68Camaro wrote:Andy Hoffman's latest audio blog - "The Big One Has Started - Protect Yourself Now!"

listened to it, and I felt good (relatively) that somebody reads the same indicators I do.

check what just crossed the wires, this will put a chill in ya:

"Swiss National Bank Hints At Capital Controls"
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-0 ... l-controls

holy smokes,of all the central banks on this groaning planet, I thought the SNB was the most stable.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:15 pm

SNB used to be somewhat sane; no longer.

Good to have you around again Neil - you're missed when you go away for lengthy periods. You don't need to stay away quite so long...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Treetop » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:26 pm

"Gosh John, the way I was raised, developed politically, I always believed the USA is (was?) a Republic.....who would WANT Empire except a gaggle of power lusting, money worshipping sociopaths?....I, as assume you and the rest of the guys here, are thinking of our CHILDREN, (and grandchildren's) future, or God forbid, lack of it. "

Honestly?? Most americans want an empire or we wouldnt be so easily convinced over the last few decades to build one. This inflated our lifestyles here across the board not just those at the top of the pyramid scheme. Entire generations have lived here who knew nothing else and grew fat on this.

"a republic if you can keep it".... except most werent trying AT ALL, they sold and voted it away. Until recently I used to debate politics online in many places. Left and right without putting it in those words DO have large amounts that love the fruits of the american empire, even a large portion who think they stand against it in their hearts.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:55 pm

Three points.

First I agree with Neil, I love the Royal Canadian Mints products. Though looking at the Queen doesn't tickle my pickle, the choices from Maple Leafs to the animal series to the big chunky bars are awesome. Great choices and great products.

Second, as far as where these central banks are taking this world, it scares the pants off of me. I have said it before, as a working class guy I am doing everything I can to 'prep' myself, my finances and my family for calamities but I seem to be running out of time. I live in a good area of the country (I think, we'll see what happens when the shtf). Frustrating and some days overwhelming. Love the support on this board.

Third, shoot, I'm just glad to see neilgin1 posting again. Always enjoy your posts neil. I don't always agree but can't deny your insight and approach always hold my attention.

Keep stacking!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:51 pm

Flake,
I wrote a long, possibly incendiary (in the eyes of TPTB) post, but then copied and pasted it to doc. its not seditious, it was my analysis of Russia's next move.

Cowardice? I don't know, its just in my family life, I got three million nightmares, and I don't want my life resembling a Bourne film.

maybe i'll grow some bolls and post it, thanks for the nice things you said, neil

ps...just go to ZH and read some of the articles...grim stuff.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:22 pm

Flake,
some of the post I never posted, I found in both wiki and on youtube.....its pretty eyeopening (and not boring stuff)

"it" was a little known drawn out incident in Nov 1983, around a NATO exercise called "Operation Able Archer"...I'll post the wiki article, which is a must read, and the Channel 4 documentary (UK) which I haven't watched yet. I wrote a lot around that, but here's these two items for you lads, neil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:55 pm

Rather than a rush for the exits, I see people stacking. Group buys are filling up fast with people demanding more.

But I have seen a number of Canadians trading based on the weakness in their Dollar. If I you expected it to bounce up again with higher oil prices, selling some now (or holding off on purchases) to short the USD could be a good play.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:34 am

Engineer wrote:Rather than a rush for the exits, I see people stacking. Group buys are filling up fast with people demanding more.

But I have seen a number of Canadians trading based on the weakness in their Dollar. If I you expected it to bounce up again with higher oil prices, selling some now (or holding off on purchases) to short the USD could be a good play.

I agree. what I was trying to say, was that on Ebay, specifically rolls, is that in (about) the last month, i'm seeing more and more rolls OFFERED from sellers I've never seen before, almost as if they were throwing in the towel.

I guess it's how one views stacking silver....as an investment?....or as I believe as currency insurance, taking paper fiat and turning it into hard money.

in all my stacking, I've never sold a single coin. (though I have several times, traded my brother, who's been a arborist/tree trimmer/lumberjack a roll of 40's, about 3 toz, to take down firewood trees, as he wont let me....well, he advises that HE do it, coz he doesn't want me to die. lol. taking down a 24 inch diameter hickory can kill you, if you aren't as experienced. I like doing it that way, because his wife holds the purse strings, and thinks I'm a nut, so it allows me to help him stack, without feeling like a charity case. when the trees down, I take over, biscuit it up, split and stack.)
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals