PM's... when would you sell out?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

PM's... when would you sell out?

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:03 am

Without going into the details too much, here's my plan:

When gold=DOW, sell gold, buy stocks
When 500oz of silver = median house price, sell silver, buy real estate.

Thoughts, suggestions, your own plans?
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: PM's... when would you sell out?

Postby Slaphot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:26 am

This is a great question. (Gold = Dow) sell gold and buy stocks! Here is a video by Mike Maloney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=e ... E7QcVN5tC8
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:20 pm

When Gold=Dow, sell gold & buy more ammo.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:34 pm

So the question: Will Gold ever equal Dow?

So if it doesn't then you will never invest in the stock market?
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:59 pm

This is where I didn't go into the details... I'm currently invested in the stock market, I'll always be invested, but that investment will grow when gold=dow. If it never happens, then no biggie, I'll just have to compromise on the actual ratio. I've got time, and I've got skin in both games, so it's not like an immediate thing for me.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Delawhere Jack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:59 pm

NHsorter wrote:When Gold=Dow, sell gold & buy more ammo.

When 20oz silver=Colt HBAR contact NHSorter about a possible trade. :D
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Delawhere Jack » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:01 pm

When prime interest rate gets back around 4.0-4.5%, I'll very seriously consider liquidating SOME pms.

Edit: Assuming that interest rates do not jump by orders of magnitude over a few days or hours.
Last edited by Delawhere Jack on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Sell my gold?

NO thanks.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:30 pm

"Sell out"? Nope. "Sell the last"? When I have to.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:55 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Without going into the details too much, here's my plan:

That is pretty much my plan. I don't have a specific target. When there is a reason to sell, as in I can create more wealth/ better my life by selling... that is when I will do it.

That could be a very long way off, or it could happen very fast. I don't know.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:36 pm

I think we are all assuming that there will continue to to be an in tact stock market. I believe you need a stable currency to maintain functional capital markets. A crashing dollar would make it very difficult to correctly value investment options. I hope I'm wrong but I think its very possible that investing (along with most other economic activity) will be local at least for a while. In other words I might be buying an interest in a local farm rather than 100 shares in GE.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:50 pm

There is no trigger point for Thogey. It will all depend on the circumstance I decide to sell based on my situation. Maybe a profit, maybe a loss. Maybe I'll pass it on.

A man makes plans and God laughs
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby tractorman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:04 pm

I know very, very little about the markets. Is the gold vs dow match an "indicator"? Just a hunch? It seems to me that the only reason to sell gold to buy stocks would be on a bet that the economy will turn around. Serious question ... why does this happen at the point where the price of gold equals the dow?
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:21 pm

Isn't asking, "When are you going to sell your PMs?" similar to asking, "When are you going to stop learning?"

I hope to do neither of the above any time soon. Figure I might hold on to my silver, oh, fifty years, see what happens?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:03 pm

theo wrote:I think we are all assuming that there will continue to to be an in tact stock market. I believe you need a stable currency to maintain functional capital markets. A crashing dollar would make it very difficult to correctly value investment options. I hope I'm wrong but I think its very possible that investing (along with most other economic activity) will be local at least for a while. In other words I might be buying an interest in a local farm rather than 100 shares in GE.

There has been a stock mark for many years with varying currencies it was traded on.

Even right now you can buy and sell US Stocks in several different currencies.

The stock market will stay around long after the US-Dollar goes away.

Remember "stock equals shares in a company".

Companies do things like:
- Mine for gold
- Sell guns
- Sell doomsday bunkers
- Lots of other things.

There will be a lot of companies doing very well if the economy starts imploding. And, of course, some that will do poorly. My investment in a manufacturer of "Ivory back scratchers" is not doing too well lately :)
barrytrot

Postby justj2k78 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:14 pm

I don't have an "exit plan", but I do have a "reset button". When the time comes that my PM stash can pay off my mortgage, I will sell and settle my largest debt. Then, I will begin again. At this point in time, there is about a $100,000 difference between the two - so you're all stuck with me! :lol:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Market,

This is an interesting question that you have posted. I have often had similar thoughts.

At 500/oz Ag x $31 (approx present spot price), that's only presently a value of $15,500 FRN's. The last time I checked, even in a very rural location in the Midwest or Northwest, even a very basic house with less than an acre of land and no extras or luxuries will still cost around $35,000-$50,000. And in a normal area, the average house price is currently around $90-$130K.

So...I have to ask...am I missing something here? Silver prices would have to at least double (to $62/oz), in order for you to buy a house valued at just $30K. Do you really expect housing prices to drop another 50-70% or for silver spot price to double? What time frame are you looking at?
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Delawhere Jack wrote:When prime interest rate gets back around 4.0-4.5%, I'll very seriously consider liquidating SOME pms.

Edit: Assuming that interest rates do not jump by orders of magnitude over a few days or hours.

Ah, yes...I remember the days of making 4-5% in online savings accounts (emigrantdirect, anyone?)..not that long ago either! (2005-2007). Well, we can pretty much forget about that, until at least mid-2013 (per the latest statement from the FED)....
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

when it takes a wheelbarrow full of FRN's to buy a loaf of bread....then i buy the bakery.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:10 am

Market Harmony wrote:Without going into the details too much, here's my plan:

So a huge run-up in silver and further tanking in residential real estate gets you there

500oz of silver @ $200/Oz --> 1 house at $100,000
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:50 am

You guys got it all wrong. im saving mine up for the coming werewolf apocalypse. Ive been casting my own ammo, and have several silver inlayed machetes....
The gold I am saving to give the annuaki, set to arrive any time on planet X. Read up on it. they enslaved humanity in the past to mine gold for their atmosphere. I figure an ounce per family member should keep me in good graces. :lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:36 am

Notice that my plan is NOT to be in dollars. I am trading one asset for another. Don't fool yourself into thinking that gold is perfect forever. It's good now, and has been for 10 years. But, there will come a time when, in relation to gold or silver, another asset becomes cheap... as cheap as gold was at $300, or silver at $4

Buy low, sell high folks.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:26 am

when 500 oz silver = home price, I might just sell and pay off my own house...but silver would have to be $400/oz, so that's gonna be a while!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby theo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:51 am

barrytrot wrote:
theo wrote:I think we are all assuming that there will continue to to be an in tact stock market. I believe you need a stable currency to maintain functional capital markets. A crashing dollar would make it very difficult to correctly value investment options. I hope I'm wrong but I think its very possible that investing (along with most other economic activity) will be local at least for a while. In other words I might be buying an interest in a local farm rather than 100 shares in GE.

There has been a stock mark for many years with varying currencies it was traded on.

Even right now you can buy and sell US Stocks in several different currencies.

The stock market will stay around long after the US-Dollar goes away.

Remember "stock equals shares in a company".

Companies do things like:
- Mine for gold
- Sell guns
- Sell doomsday bunkers
- Lots of other things.

There will be a lot of companies doing very well if the economy starts imploding. And, of course, some that will do poorly. My investment in a manufacturer of "Ivory back scratchers" is not doing too well lately :)

Barry,

I hope you are right, but I have my doubts. A collapse in the dollar will be unprecedented and would most-likely take the other fiat currencies with it. So then what will be the measure of value? Gold and silver? Perhaps, but that system may take time to set up and then gain the confidence of investors. I fear that the national and international economies will be too unstable to support efficient capital markets on a large scale. As you say there will be going concerns that provide investment opportunities, but they will be local.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:06 pm

I had a great plan.. with the run up over the past 5 yrs, I sold a portion and bought a boat. (fill in the rest) :lol:
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals