Buy silver today or wait until Friday night?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Buy junk silver @ 85% of spot today, or wait until end of week?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:54 am

BUY BUY BUY!
41%
Hold on to the cash and see what the week brings...
59%

Total votes : 39

Buy silver today or wait until Friday night?

Postby JJM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:54 am

Silver is down a buck or so today and I have an opportunity to buy a 1/4 bag of mixed common U.S. coinage for about 85% of spot price. If you were me, would you do it today? Or would you wait until the market closed on Friday? I'm pretty bear-ish on PM's right now and am leaning towards waiting. I know there are a lot of bulls in here though so I want to see what you guys think.
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Re: Buy silver today or wait until Friday night?

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:05 am

I was going to say hold off...but at 85% of spot....my tune changed to BUY BUY BUY....then FLIP FLIP FLIP.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby newton7 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:21 am

BUY BUY BUY.
Last edited by newton7 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is only worth what someone will pay for it."

"Fly low, fly slow and don't make much noise."

my old feed back viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2348
newton7
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:22 am

I would buy now unless you can still get the discount on Friday in which case I'd wait to see what happens.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:42 am

IMO, it totally depends on where you started accumulating. If you bought the majority of your stash below $10, you're sitting pretty and can afford to wait/hope for lower prices. If someone bought large over $40, they might want to cost average in.

Right now PMs are moving in lock-step with the stock market. Ag is a good buy at these prices, but I'm hoping it sinks to the mid 20's again and be a great buy. I still have lots of FRNs I need to get rid of.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:24 pm

Currently with spot at $31.28 I would be on the fence with respect to buying. However with an opportunity to buy at 85% of spot I myself would go for it. Our local coin shops are charging spot plus 10% for 90% silver so in reality you have an opportunity to pick up some 90% silver today for 25% less than I can. ;)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JJM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks for the votes and the feedback folks, look forward to seeing how the week in news and spot price (and the poll) progresses.

"Lock step" indeed, that's my biggest red flag indicator.

If I had the ability to turn it quickly, I would consider it. But I don't, and most of it would get tucked away for a rainy day.

BTW, there's no guarantee it will still be there Friday, or that he'll still be talking sub-spot if it is.

But holding off just a couple of hours netted me a small butter container full of $20 peace dollars and some wheat cents to pick through. I'm "chuffed" as the folks in the old country are apt to say. I never get "play" like this out here in the sticks, I'm digging the good fortune!
'
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:29 pm

I would wait. If we get below 28-30$ again we might see 21-22.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:16 pm

balz wrote:I would wait. If we get below 28-30$ again we might see 21-22.

I'm shocked people keep saying 21/22 range. That's never happening, people.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:26 pm

barrytrot wrote:
balz wrote:I would wait. If we get below 28-30$ again we might see 21-22.

I'm shocked people keep saying 21/22 range. That's never happening, people.

Never happening if you relied on natural market forces. But self-impregnating JPM can do whatever they want, carte blanche with impunity, with the apparent blessings of any regulatory oversight organizations. Will they drop the price to low 20's? Would require a heckalot of naked shorts, but if they time it right, disguised within a broad market sell-off... who's going to know? And if they force the price down that low, it would rebound with some resilience. At some point in time, physical prices will set the market, not faux paper derivatives. That all said... Barry, I'm placing my bets at the same table on this one. You have a great buying opportunity right now, who knows what will happen by Friday. Take the bird in the hand and quit being either greedy or fearful. (and count your blessings the market is fixed and offers you "specials" from time to time)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 pm

Nothing personal to anyone specific, especially the thread starter, but...

I'm getting a little tired of silver getting down to $30-31 range (or even lower) and people asking when its time to buy, not buying, and then when it goes up, complaining about it and wanting it to go down again. So it goes down again, and again they ask when it is time to buy. It will not keep doing this forever. It was not long ago that $31 silver was considered high. Not anymore. Get it while you can.

IF YOU HAVE FRN'S - IT IS TIME TO BUY! NOW!

There, said it.

Ooops, maybe too late. You might have missed the bottom.

BUY NOW, ANYWAY!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:11 pm

There goes 68 again with those subtle messages of his. Never can tell what that guy is thinking. :mrgreen:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Wait until it is dirt cheap. When you are just shocked at how cheap it is and are kicking yourself for buying so much at the higher prices.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm thinking... buy buy buy now AND buy buy buy this weekend AND buy buy buy until you cannot buy buy buy no more.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:33 pm

SoFa wrote:Wait until it is dirt cheap. When you are just shocked at how cheap it is and are kicking yourself for buying so much at the higher prices.

What planet do you live on? It's at 600 year lows... how is that not dirt cheap... what more do you want???
beauanderos

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:42 pm

B- I think that was sarcasm.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I didn't vote, I don't see the buy now and wait until Friday to buy some more option. :P
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:00 pm

I hope you guys bought yesterday. Listen to 68camaro, everywhere he goes he gets to say "Hi, I'm Rich." :lol: ... how do you think he got that name?! :o :shock:

If you turned your back on Santa's Gift Surprise yesterday... then this is about all I can say Image
beauanderos

Postby rsk1963 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:18 pm

beauanderos wrote:I hope you guys bought yesterday. Listen to 68camaro, everywhere he goes he gets to say "Hi, I'm Rich." :lol: ... how do you think he got that name?! :o :shock:

If you turned your back on Santa's Gift Surprise yesterday... then this is about all I can say Image

:lol:
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby .02FYI » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Some are advocating buying each dip. Which I belive just went away. Unless you realize that Silver is currently under its 200 day moving average by several dollars. Historically this has been great time to buy. I remember when it was 1.78 x the 200 day moving average . so I'm not a chart guy but still a buy. So if your buying dips look for the next one even though were still in one big oe down from 48 range. The options expirary day( today) I believe is fading the rising price is not unexpected. This gift lower prices or pain for those who want to sale especially if they bought over 40. Myself included. At some point when you look back these prices including the buys in the 40's will look quite low . IMHO. So due your own due dilligence, look at your cash needs. Do you have funds that you don't need over the next two years.What do yo think price of silver will be in the November of 2013 range. So If you bought under 10 congrats to you . I will bee saying the same thing when silver goes over 68 -72 range weather you bought now and continue buying in the 40's . Remember you have to allocate your assets. You will need FRNs, bank deposits to buy your pennies, nickles, pay your bills. etc.. It is helpful if you have a cushion. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:29 pm

"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Sprott is adding to the fund. The price premium on it has disappeared for the moment, and the price is now very close to fair value. It would be an excellent time to buy in. If I wasn't already stubbornly all-in on it, I would buy more.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:39 pm

beauanderos wrote:I hope you guys bought yesterday. Listen to 68camaro, everywhere he goes he gets to say "Hi, I'm Rich." :lol: ... how do you think he got that name?! :o :shock:

That would be if I actually HAD any silver - rather than just thinking about it...

Price is not at the local bottom, but it's still a great price. If you're trying to time a bottom, don't.
68Camaro

Postby JJM » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks for all the votes and comments guys, much appreciated.

"I snoozed and I loosed", and I'm OK with that. I firmly believe a bigger dip is coming. Not sure exactly when, but I'm pretty sure it will be sometime relatively soon (within 6 months at the most). To which I say, bring it on!

Local coin dealer carted off the common date stuff earlier today - I'd made an offer yesterday of $7.5K for $100 face in wheats and $250 face in junk silver. Evidently LCD made a better offer on the silver as he got it, although the seller is now stuck holding 20 bags of common wheats he wants to move (and in which I have no longer have an interest in).
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Starting a new thread for this story. Worthy of its own thread.

http://www.beaconequity.com/%E2%80%9Cho ... 011-11-22/
beauanderos

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals