Silver - $27 going to Zero! Call your boss..beg for job back

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Silver @ $14 and change

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:00 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I agree that the market gains were largely fueled by the Feds injecting massive amounts of liquidity. But I wouldn't be so confident that the ultimate giant pullback has already begun. It could easily go on for several more years before things truly get interesting (maybe I should have said scary). I do think that a 20% pullback in perhaps 2 months or less would be very very healthy.

The analogy I like to use, distasteful as it might seem, is the college student who has had too much to drink. They know that if they throw up they will feel better pretty fast. They try sticking their fingers down their throat and nothing happens. But they just know they need to vomit.

Even if the market retraces -20%, it's still VERY overvalued. PE's are way too high by historical standards. Most 401k funds are loaded up with these FANG stocks... they're probably going to get wiped out. It's Black Friday morning and the market is tanking again as I type this.

Silver getting hit again this morning as well. These smack-downs never seem to end. I foresee another 2008 event where PM prices get hit along with stock prices. Traders/algos will dump everything in order to meet margin calls. At some point the PM prices will reverse and start going parabolic. JP Morgan has accumulated the largest physical silver position of any bank is history... they know what's coming.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:22 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
Recyclersteve wrote:I agree that the market gains were largely fueled by the Feds injecting massive amounts of liquidity. But I wouldn't be so confident that the ultimate giant pullback has already begun. It could easily go on for several more years before things truly get interesting (maybe I should have said scary). I do think that a 20% pullback in perhaps 2 months or less would be very very healthy.

The analogy I like to use, distasteful as it might seem, is the college student who has had too much to drink. They know that if they throw up they will feel better pretty fast. They try sticking their fingers down their throat and nothing happens. But they just know they need to vomit.

Even if the market retraces -20%, it's still VERY overvalued. PE's are way too high by historical standards. Most 401k funds are loaded up with these FANG stocks... they're probably going to get wiped out. It's Black Friday morning and the market is tanking again as I type this.

Silver getting hit again this morning as well. These smack-downs never seem to end. I foresee another 2008 event where PM prices get hit along with stock prices. Traders/algos will dump everything in order to meet margin calls. At some point the PM prices will reverse and start going parabolic. JP Morgan has accumulated the largest physical silver position of any bank is history... they know what's coming.

Your analysis is on par with my perception. The smack downs won't end until there is no longer a way to create currency out of nothing, as in a fair market. I think if/as the price begins going parabolic that it will be a very slippery slope for the lifespan of the USD, and now is a crucial time to buy for those who don't yet have a core position established. The chart crunching I've done seems to point to 2019 or 2020 as the next breakout year for silver, which I suspect may coincide with the next presidential election cycle, but I wouldn't want to be late to the party. With the tent cities growing rapidly at least in my area I'm thinking more and more about about getting out of dodge or at least moving to a less populated area.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Gold to silver ratio at a ten year high. It's right about 86 as I type. Buy more silver. Shoot, might as well buy more gold too. Just saying.

Stack now!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm

InfleXion wrote:Your analysis is on par with my perception. The smack downs won't end until there is no longer a way to create currency out of nothing, as in a fair market. I think if/as the price begins going parabolic that it will be a very slippery slope for the lifespan of the USD, and now is a crucial time to buy for those who don't yet have a core position established. The chart crunching I've done seems to point to 2019 or 2020 as the next breakout year for silver, which I suspect may coincide with the next presidential election cycle, but I wouldn't want to be late to the party. With the tent cities growing rapidly at least in my area I'm thinking more and more about about getting out of dodge or at least moving to a less populated area.

Better to be years early than 1 second too late. I also agree that sometime during the 2019-2020 time frame will be when the market crashes and PM's go parabolic. I've held my core Ag (and Au) position for many years. Anything purchased now or in the future is just icing on the cake.

Tent cities, huh? You must be in Cali. If so, you need to get the heck out of there. All heavily populated major cities are going to be very dangerous places when the SHTF. Ammo, food and clean water will probably be worth more than gold or silver in a Mad Max scenario. Diversify accordingly.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:19 am

InfleXion wrote:I'm thinking more and more about about getting out of dodge or at least moving to a less populated area.

Twin Falls, Idaho is nice. There is more food than people here.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 am

IdahoCopper wrote:
InfleXion wrote:I'm thinking more and more about about getting out of dodge or at least moving to a less populated area.

The whole state of Idaho is nice. Two years ago I drove from southern California to Boise and I felt like I traveled back in time to my childhood in the 1960's when a big city was actually clean without homeless people, pan handlers, drug dealers and prostitutes lining the streets. Buildings that were graffiti-free and a place where you could walk the streets at ease and not have to constantly be aware of your surroundings. A city where people were actually friendly and nice instead of the violent nut-cases that roam the streets of our cities today. They say that you can't go back in time but I came as close as I ever will that one week I spent in Boise!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:40 am

IdahoCopper wrote:

Don't advertise it. You paradise will turn into California, just like Prescott AZ in doing right now. It is heartbreaking.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby everything » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:59 pm

We almost fell below 14 today. It is very difficult to not add some oz. at this price level. It's that time of year and deals are coming, I try very hard to be patient and keep more powder available for when something comes along that I want.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:43 pm

I just had to make a purchase today. So...schedule me for flogging in the town square. Looked on eBay today and there was 20 toz of silver rounds for $289. Free shipping and the like. I enjoy purchases that I can turn around and get at least what I paid for it (not factoring in postage, etc., since it was free.)
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:09 pm

As of today, it has been 10 full years that silver has been over $10. The 10-year kitco chart was showing 9.81 yesterday; now it's 10.19.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:06 pm

scyther wrote:As of today, it has been 10 full years that silver has been over $10. The 10-year kitco chart was showing 9.81 yesterday; now it's 10.19.

Good point. I remember trying to buy some silver in October, 2008 and my local coin shop said he would sell only two ASE's per customer. I replied "Two rolls?" and he said "No two coins!" I was able to get 20 from another dealer, but what a time it was for metals and also the stock market, real estate and life in general.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby henrysmedford » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:41 am

Is this move up the start of a trend?
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rsk1963 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:32 pm

was wondering this myself.

We'll see what happens after Jan 1 (when all the traders are alive again).
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Re: Silver @ $15 and change and climbing

Postby henrysmedford » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:59 am

Nice bounce today.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:14 am

Yep - USD dropping. Why I'm not sure.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Accurate or not, headlines note a rising market belief that the FED is going to stop buying back dollars and at least play it even (if not slip back into QE again). That makes the dollar weaker, PM's stronger.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby natsb88 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Reacting to news that the government shutdown is (temporarily) over?
natsb88

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:41 pm

Getting back into the race to the bottom.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:48 pm

So, are you guys in Ag for short term profits, or long term wealth preservation?

I started buying as a child coin collector in mid-late 70's, then in size starting in 1985. I still have about 80-90% of what I bought from back then. Sold a couple junk bags at the peak in 2011, but that's it.

Just buy it and put it away. At some point in the future you'll be very happy. It's really a no-brainer.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:44 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote: Just buy it and put it away. At some point in the future you'll be very happy. It's really a no-brainer.

Yes, but you have to be strong enough to withstand years of catcalls from those close to you (spouse, family and friends) saying "You should have sold when (insert lame rationale and timeline)..."
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Yes - strength is required, especially with the spouse. Best to get them on board if you can. If you don't I expect that could be difficult. I have a super intelligent well educated spouse but it was still a process of several years of patient explanation and teaching and illustration from the news to reverse the brainwashing of popular culture. She's on board now. But it took time. With someone else I could see never getting there. Thus the need for strength of conviction.

As far as others... No one else except your closest heir / future power of attorney should know and even then you should restrict / limit what they know.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:32 pm

68Camaro wrote:Yes - strength is required, especially with the spouse. Best to get them on board if you can. If you don't I expect that could be difficult. I have a super intelligent well educated spouse but it was still a process of several years of patient explanation and teaching and illustration from the news to reverse the brainwashing of popular culture. She's on board now. But it took time. With someone else I could see never getting there. Thus the need for strength of conviction.

As far as others... No one else except your closest heir / future power of attorney should know and even then you should restrict / limit what they know.

Good that you finally got her on board. No marriage for me... not ever. I cannot imagine having to ask someone permission to do or purchase something.

Yes, people definitely need to limit those who know about your PM stash. Only one trustworthy person in my family knows about it and has specific instructions what to do in the event of my death.
Last edited by Cu Penny Hoarder on Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby CopperSilverGold » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 am

68Camaro wrote:Yes - strength is required, especially with the spouse. Best to get them on board if you can. If you don't I expect that could be difficult. I have a super intelligent well educated spouse but it was still a process of several years of patient explanation and teaching and illustration from the news to reverse the brainwashing of popular culture. She's on board now. But it took time. With someone else I could see never getting there. Thus the need for strength of conviction.

I had a buddy that was quite resistant for a couple of years. He would politely listen but wouldn't pull the trigger. Once he finally did, he was all in. His wife was 100% on board as well which was nice to see/hear. They are both intelligent and well-educated, but it took a lot of effort. Better late than never, right?
CopperSilverGold

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am

CopperSilverGold wrote:I had a buddy that was quite resistant for a couple of years. He would politely listen but wouldn't pull the trigger. Once he finally did, he was all in. His wife was 100% on board as well which was nice to see/hear. They are both intelligent and well-educated, but it took a lot of effort. Better late than never, right?

And I thought I was the only one who was "all in". Actually I'm 90% in and holding some cash for bills and emergencies. Some people would say I'm crazy... oh well. I know what's coming. It's all a matter of time and patience.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby CopperSilverGold » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:44 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
CopperSilverGold wrote:I had a buddy that was quite resistant for a couple of years. He would politely listen but wouldn't pull the trigger. Once he finally did, he was all in. His wife was 100% on board as well which was nice to see/hear. They are both intelligent and well-educated, but it took a lot of effort. Better late than never, right?

And I thought I was the only one who was "all in". Actually I'm 90% in and holding some cash for bills and emergencies. Some people would say I'm crazy... oh well. I know what's coming. It's all a matter of time and patience.

It got to the point where he was bugging me to go to the local coin shop on our lunch break on regular basis. He had the itch big time!

I remember one co-worker vehemently arguing with me about owning any physical silver or gold. He thought I was dumb for doing so. He is very opinionated to begin with and just wouldn't listen to anything I had to say. A few weeks later he asked me out of the blue if I was still buying silver. I told him "no...I sold it all based on our conversation a few weeks ago" lol. His reply was "smart man!" :wave:
CopperSilverGold

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals