sterling silverware

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: sterling silverware

Postby Treetop » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:47 pm

I bet it could help some for things that got onto the surface of foods after it was prepared. Im sure it couldnt do anything if said microbes are inside the food, since there was no contact.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:07 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Couldn't agree more with you guys that colloidal silver is a great antimicrobial.....but i stand with my statement:

Silver flatware has virtually no effect on your food’s cleanliness or sterility. There are no health benifits gained from using it.

That is right. If there is something wrong with the food, like it is spoiled... Silverware has no effect on that at all.

Where silverware comes in handy is in sanitation of where you eat. If your silver eating utensils are laid onto an unclean table, for example, the antimicrobial effects of the silver keeps germs from surviving the ride from the table into your mouth via your fork, spoon, or knife.

The US Navy uses silver in it's drinking water system on board ships to stop the spread of germs for the same reason.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Ardent Listener » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:15 pm

I own a Tia bronze flatware set. Beautiful, but a pain to polish.

All posts by the person known here as Ardent Listener are for your edification and amusement only and are not intended to provide investment, medical, legal, tax advice or any other advice or counsel and nothing posted here should be considered to be so.
Ardent Listener
Founding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:54 pm

I am new to buying sterling and have some questions. I don't care about the "fanciness" of it, but would like it both to eat with and/or as scrap bullion. In general, what is a decent price to pay for it? I don't care if it's monogrammed or anything like that; as long as it's still in useable condition and silver. I just like silver and I like the idea of eating with silver. :) When I look on ebay and antique stores, I have no idea if I'm getting a good price or not. Does it usually go over or under spot? And, on average, what does each piece weigh. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
Didn't your mom tell you when you were a kid "money is dirty, so keep it out of your mouth" :lol:

Nah, she used to tell me "you have a dirty mouth, now give me a quarter!" Maybe that's where I got it from? Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:58 am

Hawkeye wrote:I am new to buying sterling and have some questions. I don't care about the "fanciness" of it, but would like it both to eat with and/or as scrap bullion. In general, what is a decent price to pay for it? I don't care if it's monogrammed or anything like that; as long as it's still in useable condition and silver. I just like silver and I like the idea of eating with silver. :) When I look on ebay and antique stores, I have no idea if I'm getting a good price or not. Does it usually go over or under spot? And, on average, what does each piece weigh. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hawkeye,

I have not bought any in a while, so, some of my advice on prices may be dated.

Always buy Sterling, it's 92.5% silver. Sterling will be stamped on the back of the handles of spoons, forks, etc. Knives are not silver, only the hollow handle is and it's at most about 1/2 to 1/4 ozt. Hollowware (candle holders, tea sets, etc.) are usually weighted down with cement. Avoid plated silverware.

Buy a decent battery powered scale from a head shop. Weigh and price everything in Troy ounces. If they will not let you weigh the flatware... walk away. Or, get very aggressive in price.

Price: One formula is to take the weight of the Sterling flatware in ozt; then multiply times 0.925 (the amount of silver in Sterling); then multiply times 0.85 (the refiner's fee); now multiply that times spot, and you have the buying price for scrap Sterling. Good collectors sets will fetch a much higher price. Another buyer I know simply offers 70% of spot.

Diligently search for it at garage and estate sales. Usually they don't have it out on display, so ask if they have any for sale. Be prepared for negative reactions, but keep looking... it is out there. My best score was two sets of the same pattern for far less than it should have sold, on the same day. What a joy that was!

Next is Craig's List and e-Bay. eBay's prices are usually too damn high, but it is a great place to finish finding those missing items to complete a set. Sometimes you find someone who will let it go for less than listed. Ask for discounts.

Do your homework: My favorite place is Replacements.com: http://www.replacements.com/silver_dent ... gwod0S3sXw

Welcome to the world of Sterling. It can be great fun. My wife and I are having a dinner for eight today.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:37 am

Hawkeye wrote:I am new to buying sterling and have some questions. I don't care about the "fanciness" of it, but would like it both to eat with and/or as scrap bullion. In general, what is a decent price to pay for it? I don't care if it's monogrammed or anything like that; as long as it's still in useable condition and silver. I just like silver and I like the idea of eating with silver. :) When I look on ebay and antique stores, I have no idea if I'm getting a good price or not. Does it usually go over or under spot? And, on average, what does each piece weigh. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Let Mike from Market Harmony know what you are looking for. He buys and melts more sterling flatware in a month than I see all year. He should be able to fill an order for a "nice" set at around spot from him. I know you don't care for fanciness, but if the fancy cost the same as the monogramed ugly (which it does because it's a wieght thing).....buy the fancy ;)

Good luck man.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:57 am

Thanks for the information- I will check those places out!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:46 pm

sheik has some good advice but remember that a knife or large serving piece is not pure sterling - the handles are filled wtih filler or lead. also, many times knive blades are stainless steel. assuming a knife blade is sterling, then cut the actual weight in half to adjust for a filled handle. thats just a rough guess. ditto large handled serving pieces.

if you are married, ask your wife what pattern she wants. there are some big names out there like gorham, and you can save a search in ebay and have it email you whenever there is a liisting.

finally, silver plate is nice to look at but has basically zero melt value. make sure you don't pay sterling prices for plateware.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Kurr » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Silver plated goes to the copper refiners as "contaminated copper"
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:50 pm

Thanks for the advice. I usually avoid anything "plated" and this confirms my suspicions.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby appjoe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:18 pm

What is sterling inlaid ? Is that just another way of saying plated ?
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:04 pm

appjoe wrote:What is sterling inlaid ? Is that just another way of saying plated ?

I went to Replacements.com (see above for their site) and typed "sterling inlay" in the search section. It pulled up flatware that had enamel inlaid onto the metal. Check it out.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby appjoe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
appjoe wrote:What is sterling inlaid ? Is that just another way of saying plated ?

I went to Replacements.com (see above for their site) and typed "sterling inlay" in the search section. It pulled up flatware that had enamel inlaid onto the metal. Check it out.

I did some checking and this is what I came up with.

Inlaid siver is a form of silver plate. The silver content is very low (not reclaimable even at $30.00 silver in 1980) Sterling silver must contain 92.5 % pure silver, usually mixed with 7.5 % copper. Sterling silver is an alloy-ie; the metal is homogenous throughout the piece.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals