Found a JFK gold medal today

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Found a JFK gold medal today

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:08 pm

I emailed the JFK library and they replies with this:

Dear Mr. Youngs:

According to the description of the Kennedy-Adenauer Munich medal in my source, _Medallic Portraits of John F. Kennedy_, by Edward C. Rochette (Iola, WI: Krause Pulblications, 1966), there was a 60 mm gold medal struck in two planchet sizes. A thousand were struck in the thicker size, 2000 in the thinner. The medals were numbered. Likewise, the medal was also struck in two planchet sizes in 50 mm, numbering 2500 and 3000 respectively. Four other sizes were struck in gold: 40, 32, 26, and 20 mm. I do not have minting numbers for those. Finally, a 40 mm version was struck in silver. That run apparently only totaled 1000.

Sincerely,

Stephen Plotkin
Reference Archivist
John F. Kennedy Presidential Library
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:14 pm

It's worth recalling, again, President John F. Kennedy's use of a German phrase while standing before the Berlin Wall. It would be great, his wordsmiths thought, for him to declare himself a symbolic citizen of Berlin. Hence, Ich bin ein Berliner. What they did not know, but could easily have found out, was that such citizens never refer to themselves as 'Berliners.' They reserve that term for a favorite confection often munched at breakfast. So, while they understood and appreciated the sentiments behind the President's impassioned declaration, the residents tittered among themselves when he exclaimed, literally, "I am a jelly-filled doughnut."

— William J. Miller, "I Am a Jelly-Filled Doughnut", The New York Times, April 30, 1988[11]

There is an entire wikipedia article on this phrase. While people can after the fact defend his grammar, the fact is that the germans thought it was a gaffe even if they knew what he meant. It would be like saying I am a hamburger or I am a frankfurter.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Yep, and "I am a New Yorker" means I am a magazine. I believe way too much is being made of this by non-Germans. Everything I'm aware of indicates that the context was perfectly clear at the time and the sentiments well-respected - outside of a few teen-age giggles.

Great FIND Adam!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Back on track everyone....
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:06 pm

I am starting to think this thing might have some "real" value.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:59 pm

Dear Mr. Youngs:

The medals were distributed to honor the visit to Germany generally, not for any particular event during it. Furthermore, they were also distributed in this country. According to Aubrey Mayhew's book, _The World's Tribute to John F. Kennedy in Medallic Art : Medals, Coins and Tokens--an Illustrated Standard Reference_, the medals were sold for prices ranging from $310 for the largest down to $6.00 for the smallest.

Sincerely,

Stephen Plotkin
Reference Archivist
John F. Kennedy Presidential Library
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:32 pm

i would send an email to a coin auction house like Stack's.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby daviscfad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Or heritage
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder